Parquet Courts

DJ Cull

So pleased you like it. Got my copy hopefully arriving today. Do yourself a favour and listen to their back catalog, starting with Light Up Gold.

I'm seeing them down in Bristol a week or so before the festival, so I think there's a good chance they'll be there. I (and many others on these boards) saw them after an epic storm in 2014(?), and really enjoyed it. Fingers crossed!

3 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

I was there in 2014 but to my shame didn't really know who they were so was elsewhere. This new record is fantastic, on the radio it was described as being 'less boisterous' than their others.

Don't worry, all will be put right this year (hopefully).

Yes, Light Up Gold is quite thrashy, punky, and chaotic, but in the best possible way. I was so excited when I first heard it, I thought they were going to take over the world. The start of that record is as good as it gets for me.

I bloody love this band.

4 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

I'm fast coming to that conclusion too.

Where do u reckon, JP tent?

Well they played mid/late afternoon up the Park last time, so I'd hope they'd be on a bit later, wherever it might. JP makes sense to me - maybe in a similar slot the DFA were in last year?

BTW make sure you don't miss the stuff the recorded as Parkay Quarts if you're going through the back catalog!

5 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

They certainly seem to put a lot of records out

Prolific. They seem to record, release, tour, record, release, tour...

Their first album was recorded on cassette only, and released around NY. They've also done quite a few Vinyl-only releases.

Some further reading (if you're interested):

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/01/parquet-courts-tally-all-the-things

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/28/parquet-courts-using-social-media-punk-new-york

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/mar/24/parquet-courts-its-better-for-creativity-when-things-exist-in-the-margins

Just now, The Nal said:

Also, how Velvet Underground is that One Man No City tune?!

Very Velvet lol.

I couldn't see those other dates on Songkick, but if they're definitely out of the country I might have to go to Field Day instead.

8 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

Very Velvet lol.

I couldn't see those other dates on Songkick, but if they're definitely out of the country I might have to go to Field Day instead.

Sometimes Songkick doesn't update for the smaller bands. They're defo not playing though. Unless they fly from France after their Saturday show, play Glasto on Sunday and then head back to France for a gig Monday. Very very unlikely. 

The new album is their slickest yet. I'd listen to the earlier ones first, but whatever - they're extremely productive and almost always fucking great. Last album wasn't but that's an experimental outlier.

I love their golden age punk rock style the best:

IMO there's been a dearth of proper rock'n'roll of this level at the festival the past couple of years. Less Bastille, more Parquet Courts please!

Edited by majormajormajor

• 11 months later...

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but they're doing a short tour at the end of August around their End Of The Road festival show;

28 GLASGOW Art School
30 SHEFFIELD Leadmill
31 BIRMINGHAM O2 Institute2

Tickets for Glasgow and Sheffield available through eGigs.

We probably won't see them at G, but hopefully we'll get a new record this summer at some point.

• 10 months later...