Adele

mumzilla

7 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Big fan of Adele and was looking forward to this, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. I was hoping for something more along the lines of Rolling in the Deep or Hello. This just sounds like a good album track. 

Hello is great but I didn't really like Rolling in the deep, I think this is better.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Fastest selling single of the year in the UK with only 48 hours of charting.

Genuine question… who actually “buys” singles anymore? I mean Adele was always going to smash records because that’s what she does, but I can only really imagine a certain demographic (ie barely anyone under 40) logging into iTunes and paying the 59p of whatever it is these days.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Genuine question… who actually “buys” singles anymore? I mean Adele was always going to smash records because that’s what she does, but I can only really imagine a certain demographic (ie barely anyone under 40) logging into iTunes and paying the 59p of whatever it is these days.

Surprisingly quite a few people. I think it’s now seen as more of an act of gratitude towards the artist than the common way of accessing music.

There are a few things to uncover from this though - if her sale numbers are high just imagine how high her streaming numbers are!

I think the best selling single of the year in the UK is Olivia Rodrigo’s drivers licence with 1.9m copies sold.

I think it’s fair to say Adele could surpass that in a matter of days/weeks.

Edited by Matt42

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Who cares who does. Streaming apparently kills record sales, yet when this happens there are questions about why its happening? My gf has a ton of singles she has bought on itunes over the years so I dont know how thats been only with anyone thats middle aged. How about people who like to support artists or just want a single song and spending .99 cents or 59p isnt that big of a deal. There are so many people who use free Spotify and to get people to spend money on music is a good thing. Hell, p2p file sharing actually spurned record sales, but nooooo, its evil, we’re stealing music. Yeah, Spotify and Apple Music are the ones stealing with the major labels cause now its all “free”.

On the topic of buying music, me and my partner were travelling up North for a the weekend last week. I put on a playlist of 90s tunes and we were singing away. I suddenly thought, I wonder if the kids of today will still be able ton remember song after song from when they younger as music is disposable now. 

We remember all the words cause we'd by a cd single/album and listen to it on Repeat 1 pretty much until the next one came out. 

20 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

On the topic of buying music, me and my partner were travelling up North for a the weekend last week. I put on a playlist of 90s tunes and we were singing away. I suddenly thought, I wonder if the kids of today will still be able ton remember song after song from when they younger as music is disposable now. 

We remember all the words cause we'd by a cd single/album and listen to it on Repeat 1 pretty much until the next one came out. 

Kids today...

541573.jpg?b64lines=V0lUSCBUSEVJUiBISVBQSU4nIEFORCBUSEVJUiAKSE9QUElOJyBBTkQgVEhFIEJJUFBJTicgQU5EIApUSEUgQk9QUElOJy4=

20 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

Rubbish. It’s no different. People will stream their favourite albums and have them saved to their devices and still remember every word.

Do you not have an album in your catalogue that you link to all of your playlists?

Music was pretty disposable in the 2000’s too. So many songs I remember all the words to, not from owning the copy but because they were on music video channels getting played to death. As Matt says, it’s no different with each generation - people still listening to music repeatedly but it’s in a different format now.

Edited by dentalplan

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Music was pretty disposable in the 2000’s too. So many songs I remember all the words to, not from owning the copy but because they were on music video channels getting played to death. As Matt says, it’s no different with each generation - people still listening to music repeatedly but it’s in a different format now.

It's true, a worrying amount of my teenage/student years were spent vegetating in front of MTV2.