Adele

mumzilla

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not here to compare but Adele’s ability to disappear off the face of the earth and come back exactly where she left off is unique. 

Ed Sheeran wants a word. As does Taylor. As do Coldplay. As does Billie. As do about a hundred other artists.

Edited by Hugh Jass

51 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Big fan of the Arctic Monkeys being labelled derivative while Adele churns out another warbling balled and is celebrated

That made me chortle.

It's OK. It's an Adele song. She's still got a cracking voice. It sounds good. Playing it pretty safe for the first single back I would think, not that it's a bad thing or a criticism. Will prob get a few more plays on my new music shuffle, but don't see me adding it to any active playlists.

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m not here to compare but Adele’s ability to disappear off the face of the earth and come back exactly where she left off is unique.

But it's a lot easier to pick things up from exactly where you were if they remain in exactly the same place, isn't it? She could sing the phonebook and smash all records. Incredible talent, undoubtedly but it's formulaic. I appreciate that I'm basing this on one song but I'm not expecting the album to deviate from the formula.

Singer of a generation? Arguably. Artist of a generation? I'm not so sure.

She is great though, isn't she? 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ed Sheeran wants a word. As does Taylor. As do Coldplay. As does Billie. As do about a hundred other artists.

I mean maybe it’s the fact that Adele spaces her stuff out more, but when she drops she garners hype that the others would be jealous of.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Mate, you've spent the last 12 months creaming yourself over Taylor Swift RE-RELEASING albums...

It’s not an either or. You know I like both and I’m trying to avoid a comparison. But what I see with Adele is when she returns she completely takes over the charts/media for at least a few months. Other artists move their albums (like we’ve seen with Taylor this year). It’s pretty remarkable.

It’s because Adele’s market cap is nuts and everyone knows it. I’m just pointing out that no one else gets a reaction like that. That’s why I said she’s an artist of a generation. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s not an either or. You know I like both and I’m trying to avoid a comparison. But what I see with Adele is when she returns she completely takes over the charts/media for at least a few months. Other artists move their albums (like we’ve seen with Taylor this year). It’s pretty remarkable.

It’s because Adele’s market cap is nuts and everyone knows it. I’m just pointing out that no one else gets a reaction like that. That’s why I said she’s an artist of a generation. 

I love your enthusiasm for all this, I really do.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I love your enthusiasm for all this, I really do.

But what have I said isn’t true? For 25 One Direction, Justin Bieber, Rihanna all moved their releases because they didn’t want to compete with Adele.

For 30, Taylor moved her album forward a week and if you look at the upcoming calendar virtually no one big is releasing after Nov 19.

What other artist scares their contemporaries off like she does? It’s remarkable.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

What other artist scares their contemporaries off like she does? It’s remarkable.

Sheeran is comparable. It’ll be interesting to see which album will outperform the other by the end of this year.

Just now, Matt42 said:

But what have I said isn’t true? For 25 One Direction, Justin Bieber, Rihanna all moved their releases because they didn’t want to compete with Adele.

For 30, Taylor moved her album forward a week and if you look at the upcoming calendar virtually no one big is releasing after Nov 19.

No, I was actually being sincere.

The 19th thing isn't actually that big a deal, you don't get too many major releases in December as labels want the maximum amount of time to sell before Christmas. When I was younger I worked at a record store and it was always noticable how much major releases dropped off after the last week in November.

8 minutes ago, priest17 said:

People still using itunes is even more jaw dropping to me than people still caring about Adele.

How, its tied into the apple music streaming service and people buy songs still if you hadnt noticed? And everyone essentially is carrying around an ipod that happens to have a phone on it anyway.

She can sing but this does nothing for me.  Social media comments have left me feeling like I'm dead inside.  I wish I got it but I just don't.

Artist of my lifetime?  No. No. No.