Adele

mumzilla

9 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

If I was wanting to see both I'd go and see the first half hour of Adele then run round and catch the end of New Order

That could work, if Adele was boring me I'd be off... But I think I'll be more than happy there. Still a dilemma

It's a massive booking because she's undoubtedly the biggest artist in the world right now, and she's playing her first headline slot at Glastonbury. 

However, I'm really not a fan, find her music miserable and it's not what I want on a Saturday night at a festival, so I'll 99% be elsewhere.  (keeping a 1% chance in case the rest of the Saturday night line up is awful!)

I'm sure she'll put on a great performance that will go down well, it's just not for me. Would've been nice to have an act I like as Pyramid headliner, but that's the great thing about Glastonbury - there's so much else on offer, not like at most other festivals where there are only a couple of stages!

1 minute ago, Andeeroo said:

I might pop along. I think Someone Like You is flawless but that's the only track I'd love to be in the field for. I'd choose Adele over New Order though.

Hopeful that something more appealing pops up elsewhere.

Their crowd is going to be tiny as fuck.....but now it's happen I'll be there over anything. They won't clash Adele and Robyn if she plays so that's good. This is going to be a case of band band band.....explorer Wed, Thursday and Sunday morning.

Never been to Glastonbury but I'd love to go some day. Sure the full lineup will offer something for everyone, as it always does. Signing up Adele to headline is ridiculous though. She's awful. Definitely not buying into the "she has such a great personality" crap either; she's dull and seems to act about 20 years beyond her age. Sure she can throw a few "fu*ks" in, but that's only a strategy created to cover up her grannyesque mannerisms. 

Ill be heading to Barcelona for primavera safe in the knowledge that I won't have to hear Tom Waits plagiarised and cheapened for the masses. Seriously, she makes my blood boil. 

Edited by Cherrytree13

1 minute ago, Cherrytree13 said:

Never been to Glastonbury but I'd love to go some day. Sure the full lineup will offer something for everyone, as it always does. Signing up Adele to headline is ridiculous though. She's awful. Definitely not buying into the "she has such a great personality" crap either; she's dull and seems to act about 20 years beyond her age. Sure she can throw a "fu*ks" in, but that's only a strategy created to cover up her grannyesque mannerisms. 

Ill be heading to Barcelona for primavera safe in the knowledge that I won't have to hear Tom Waits plagiarised and cheapened for the masses. Seriously, she makes my blood boil. 

You can head to Primavera...with a w*nk arsed lineup as per.

Fantastic booking for the festival.

Not for me though. Not for 90 minutes. Like paying a small fortune to watch a nil nil draw on New Years Day, between 2 teams of hungover millionaire footballers, whilst nursing a hangover.

Meh-whevs.

Fantastic booking for the festival though.

It's an amazing booking for the festival. I can imagine the likes of V and IOW also wanted her and would've offered more money so I'm sure Glastonbury are very pleased with themselves.

I'll be there and I'm looking forward to it, however I understand why people don't think she's Saturday night headliner material. She's not upbeat but she is one of the biggest and most popular singers in the world at the moment, so there will be a lot of excitement about it.

I think it's great that a woman has the highest placing in the line up but I'd be far more excited if it was Rhianna/Gaga/Beyoncé/Swift.  Its Saturday night and I will want to party like a motherfucker.  I've been listening to her (a bit) and I think "When we were young" is a superb song, - but I still feel this is not a great booking. For me, its not even remotely festival music..and if this wasn't Glastonbury I wouldn't even be considering going. I might give her a try but if there is something infinitely more appealing on I will be elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

"Her stuff's a bit slow and miserable and won't really get the party going. Shame it wasn't Radiohead."

Oh yeah because that's really jumpy music and gets the party going. They are both depressing in their own way.....the difference is whether you like one or the other and if its Radiohead then everyone goes all double standards and hypocritial over it.

She's not my sort of thing at all but people should realise how big of a coup this is for the festival. I'll be watching new order but I'm certainly intrigued to see how Adele does, I think she'll smash it and I hope she does as well. She's the biggest star in the world and as Glastonbury is the biggest festival in the world its just a perfect match, the field will be packed and she will get will get a huge TV audience as well

3 hours ago, rubenz said:

Who would you prefer to have on the Saturday night? 

In my dreams Sabbath, Neil Young or Springsteen. I know in the case of the latter two they've headlined before in recent times (indeed same year) but that doesn't seem to be an issue in the case of the other two headliners. They're all touring the uk this summer and they're all about 90 times bigger than Adele in terms of influence and impact.

In my eyes Adele is the same as Celine Dion. Celine Dion was also highly marketable, loadsa records sold the world over and loads of UK number one albums and singles but who cares about her now? I couldn't name one Celine Dion song. That Titanic song maybe? Some legacy. Who in twenty years time is going to tell their kids about the time they saw Adele at Glastonbury... who dad? Who's that? D'you know what, I can't remember son. :lol:

Edit: More to the point - would Celine Dion have gotten anywhere near Saturday night on the Pyramid in the 90s?

Edited by mattiloy

The biggest music festival in the world gets the arguably the world's biggest band currently  in Coldplay headlining and the world's biggest singer (no pun intended) in Adele. I'd say these were major coups, the only one I'm disappointed in from the Pyramid headliners is Muse (would have preferred someone else). But it takes a lot to get me to the Pyramid for a headliner these days and I'd probably be there for Adele of it wasn't for New Order... if/when they get announced there's a horrible clash for me but it's great to be going to a festival where there's such variety all over the place :)