Most heartwarming Glastonbury moment?

stixmcvix

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite a heartwarming moment happened last year when I wasn't even attending.  Someone off here turned up on their own, but was really struggling for various reasons.  He reached out to the forum and was met with some wonderful reactions, notably from @kalifire.

Just read that entire thread - didn't have time at work earlier. @kalifire if you're going this year, I'd very much like to buy you a cider. You're clearly one of the people my daughter was talking about.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a lot of satisfaction from reuniting everyone with their phones, wallets, bags, coats, IDs, marbles etc etc the morning after each night before. People seem so surprised at good service these days. Like its old fashioned already?

And I remember evicting one drunk bloke who had seriously lost the plot only to find he was utterly friendless, unhappy and lost. I walked him about 30 mins to his field in the pissing night rain before he recognised where he was. Doubt he'd remember anything about me in the morning.

10 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I get a lot of satisfaction from reuniting everyone with their phones, wallets, bags, coats, IDs, marbles etc etc the morning after each night before. People seem so surprised at good service these days. Like its old fashioned already?

And I remember evicting one drunk bloke who had seriously lost the plot only to find he was utterly friendless, unhappy and lost. I walked him about 30 mins to his field in the pissing night rain before he recognised where he was. Doubt he'd remember anything about me in the morning.

That 's so nice. I've needed that on many occasion. 

6am Monday morning of the 2014 festival, I'd been hard at it for 4 days on very little sleep and I was a complete emotional wreck. Left my friends (for some reason) and headed up to the top of the hill next to the bonfire from the opening ceremony. Basically sobbed my heart out on my own. But there was a couple a bit down the hill from me who were clearly enjoying themselves together. They noticed me, came over, tried to ask what was wrong (to which my answer was just like 'everything' or something equally unhelpful) and were generally really friendly and comforting, gave me a few hugs, snapped me out of it, got me back on my feet and on my way back to meet my dad and my friends for the walk back to the coach. I wish I could remember their names.

So many to mention. Can happen every minute for hours at certain moments of the weekend. Relentness. 

People helping people. People being friendly and loving. People loving the moment. Everything just coming together. Overwhelming sometimes.

My yearly dose to restore my faith in humanity. Restored every year in abundance. 

Edited by danbailey80

6 hours ago, stixmcvix said:

So the Most annoying Glastonbury moment? thread has been bringing me down a little, so lets share tales of when our fellow humans have actually been ruddy lovely and kind to you at Glastonburrries of yore.

My favourite moment was when I was sitting alone in the Stone Circle on the Sunday under the shade of a tree, and a lovely young man sat with me, gave me his last bit of rocky in order to share my cone of fresh stuff. I turned him down but was happy to share. We chatted about how great the whole weekend had been for about half an hour, then we shook hands and off he went. Was nice to know that not all strangers that approach you for a conversation have sinister ulterior motives (bar trying to share my herbal fare which I don't mind at all), as my dear old momma has drummed into me during my childhood. 

I absolutely love talking to randoms, makes the festival for me, does my wife and friends heads in mind 

Edited by swede

47 minutes ago, swede said:

I absolutely love talking to randoms, makes the festival for me, does my wife and friends heads in mind 

i dont like people and hate crowds lol so it always makes people who know me laugh cos its always me whos talking to strangers ect i think its a self defence thing who knows ah lol

Last year was my first, so me and my friend on the sunday after visiting hell stage, decided to sit on stone circle one last time, not knowing that it would be completely lit up by candles, after a group near us finished playing and singing to Karma Police on acoustic guitar, a man sat next to me and my friend and we talked at great length about the spirit of Glastonbury and the 20 years he had been going vs the one we had. Was the moment I knew I'd try and be back there every year no matter what and a great ending to my first festival. 

Reading all of these is making me crave being back so much

In a reverse of my post from the negative thread.

My first year was 2014. I was planning on goign alone but found a few locals I knew to go with but it was mostly me and my self. 
During Elbows set i got talking with a random guy dressed as a sailor. I ended up putting him on my shoulders during 'sad captain' He got on TV and then Guy even called him out. He broke down on me and said he'd always remember that moment. 

Sunday before Disclosure I was making my way down to the front just before they started, stood in a good spot that I thought was good enough to dance. a few momment later the guy who I met during Elbows set was behind me tapping me on the shoulder, had ran to catch up with me and was with his friends who had heard all about me. Let me share their drink etc for the rest of the evening and hanged with their group for the late night acts. Met up quickly last year for a drink too. 

3 minutes ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

seems a lot of good memories happen around the stone circle, ive always fancied being up there for sunrise/sunset but never managed it yet, always either busy watching someone or have tried to get there and gave up due to crowds that time of evening.

Mind you the one time I went up there during the day I wasn't impressed, just full of knobs doing nos throwing the bottles around everywhere-(so much for a `spiritual place`) will have to get up there this year 

This is my worry, went up their for the fireworks late last year and struggled for a good 40 minutes to leave due to crowds. Want to do the sun rise this year. 

Aw, thanks for the love, everyone. I'm not on here much these days because sadly, finances mean I can't attend this year (travelling from Oz is a big expense) but I remember the occasion well. He was in a bit of a state, poor thing. I did my best for him but he ended up going home the next morning. Probably for the best - it's not for everyone. Still, if all he got out of it was the knowledge that not everyone is a unfriendly as his neighbours in Oxylers, then he had a positive experience to take home with him.

One heart-warming moment I had of my own was leaving the Pyramid arena, not quite feeling the band on stage, and taking a bit of a wonder to nowhere, not sure where to go or what to do. It was one of those 'something must be wrong with me - I'm not enjoying myself and it's Glastonbury' moments we all get at one time or another. I stumbled into a tent playing some Notorious BIG and it was brilliant. Everyone loved the music, knew all the words and were rapping along, busting some ridiculous moves but totally enjoying themselves. I sheepishly entered the tent, and was embraced and made to feel so included, straight away. We all danced, all drank, and then all hugged and went on our ways with a spring in our steps. It was wonderful.

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Quite a heartwarming moment happened last year when I wasn't even attending.  Someone off here turned up on their own, but was really struggling for various reasons.  He reached out to the forum and was met with some wonderful reactions, notably from @kalifire.

Made me tear up a little. 

Shut up, it's late.

Last year I was walking along the path from Williams Green to West Holts absolutely wasted and I must have been rifling through my pockets for something. A few seconds later someone tapped me on the shoulder handing me my little bag of 'something' that I dropped and said 'have a good night mate' and gave me a wink. What a guy.

I was with my 2 eldest kids waiting for LCD in 2010(?) at the Other. During the previous band (can't remember who) there was a group of about 10 lads 'n lasses dressed as superheroes...really fucking expensive decent quality costumes too. They were quite posh-ish and utterly Gillespied. Anyhoo...

They all staggered off while we sat down and waited for LCD and my daughter noticed they'd left their rucksack. Spoke to a group near to it and asked if it was theirs. Nope. So I told them to witness me opening it so they knew I wasn't nicking anything. Me and a girl from this group looked for a mobile to try ringing some numbers on it to try and get in contact with the superheroes somehow. Every phone was locked.

Btw:

In this rucksack were about 5 wallets, 2 purses, about 7 or 8 mobile phones and probably a few hundred quid in cash.

Plus 3 sets of car keys.

Me and this girl wrote the names in our phones of every name we could find on a credit or bank card from the rucksack and went off separately looking for the superheroes, leaving the rucksack with the kids and getting them to raise the 'locator-only' flag.

After 15 minutes and no joy we both returned so not to miss LCD and agreed I'd take the bag to lost property afterwards.

Just as people were beginning to get to their feet for LCD my daughter shouted "DAD! LOOK! BATMAN AND WONDER WOMAN!"

The pair of them followed by an assortment of other superheroes were tear arsing and weaving through the groups of people sat down frantically scanning the ground. 

I strolled over to meet Batman and asked him his name, which matched one of those on a credit card and asked him if he'd lost his bag. Obviously he had. I told him to follow me and wandered back to the flag / kids.

He hugged me so hard I almost fainted. And then got bundled by various other superheroes only getting them off by pointing out the other girl that helped.

They stayed for LCD - who they knew nothing about - and fucking loved it...perhaps enhanced by the relief they felt. They insisted in buying me - and the other girl - booze for the next couple of hours and kept bringing the kids unasked for food and drinks.

I think Stevie Wonder was afterwards on the Pyramid. What a fucking great day.

Edited by Woffy

I  just remembered another moment, I was dancing my ass off to Pharrell. (who i never wanted to see) I think he was on after Burt Bahcharac . anyway I am there dancing like a fool through both sets, Next to us was a massive family gran , her kids their kids, for most of the sets I end up dancing with Gran. such a lovely lady . at the end we gave each other a huge hug and off I went,

lovely

by the way Pharrell was awesome, I had the best time i never thought I would

14 hours ago, ian the worm said:

That's made me remember another happy memory! On the Saturday in 2011, I was meeting a friend in a cafe up near Green Fields but was away from my camping mates, so said I'd bell them after I'd finished to meet up again. Saw my friend, was lovely. Then walked away and 10 minutes later went to retrieve my phone from my pocket to make the call to my buddies...... it was gone. I sprinted back to the cafe and the lady behind the counter was holding it in her hand saying someone had just found it half trodden in to the mud. I couldn't believe it. I think that was my moment of realisation that I definitely wanted to come back again. Back in London, I never would have seen that phone again, I'm sure.