10cc

eFestivals

10cc have been announced as Saturday headliner. :)

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/16/160315a.shtml

Confession time .... I might have had a bit to do with this choice, as I've mentioned them to Wychwood boss Graeme a few times over the years, having caught them at another festival where I didn't expect too much from them but thought they were utterly fantastic.

It's easy to forget just how many big hits they had with great songs....

The following list is just their top-ten hits (from Wiki)

Neanderthal Man
Donna
Rubber Bullets
The Dean and I
The Wall Street Shuffle
Life is a Minestrone
I'm Not in Love
Art for Art's Sake
I'm Mandy, Fly Me
The Things We Do for Love
Good Morning Judge
Dreadlock Holiday

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

10cc have been announced as Saturday headliner. :)

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/16/160315a.shtml

Confession time .... I might have had a bit to do with this choice, as I've mentioned them to Wychwood boss Graeme a few times over the years, having caught them at another festival where I didn't expect too much from them but thought they were utterly fantastic.

It's easy to forget just how many big hits they had with great songs....

The following list is just their top-ten hits (from Wiki)

Neanderthal Man
Donna
Rubber Bullets
The Dean and I
The Wall Street Shuffle
Life is a Minestrone
I'm Not in Love
Art for Art's Sake
I'm Mandy, Fly Me
The Things We Do for Love
Good Morning Judge
Dreadlock Holiday

Good songs, all of them. My only question is - is there anyone from 10cc actually still in 10cc?

51 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

Good songs, all of them. My only question is - is there anyone from 10cc actually still in 10cc?

yeah - Graham Gouldman, the biggest song-writing talent in a band that overflowed with song-writing talent.

I saw him do a solo set a couple of years ago (also at Wychwood), and it was very good but not as good as when I saw 10cc before that.

I've no idea how good they might have been as the full original band, but as I saw them a few years ago (which is much the same as they are now) they were very very good.

Not only did Gouldman write all the 10cc stuff but he also wrote hits for The Yardbirds including For Your Love, Heartfull of Soul and Evil Hearted You and hits for The Hollies (Bus Stop and Look Through Any Window).  A great writing talent and still good live.

Really looking forward to seeing them to kick off my festival season.

On 3/20/2016 at 8:10 PM, grumpyhack said:

Not only did Gouldman write all the 10cc stuff but he also wrote hits for The Yardbirds including For Your Love, Heartfull of Soul and Evil Hearted You and hits for The Hollies (Bus Stop and Look Through Any Window).  A great writing talent and still good live.

Really looking forward to seeing them to kick off my festival season.

Not all, me thinks. The writing credits in 10cc were split pretty evenly. Godley and Creme wrote "Donna" and "Dean and I" amongst many others, while Stewart was the driving force behind I'm Not in Love. Not that this diminishes Gouldman - its just shows what a talented bunch they were - and how Gouldman's melodies combined with Godley/Creme weirdness made them so distinctive.

1 minute ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Not all, me thinks. The writing credits in 10cc were split pretty evenly. Godley and Creme wrote "Donna" and "Dean and I" amongst many others, while Stewart was the driving force behind I'm Not in Love. Not that this diminishes Gouldman - its just shows what a talented bunch they were - and how Gouldman's melodies combined with Godley/Creme weirdness made them so distinctive.

i think grumpy might have just been referring to Gouldman's 10cc stuff, rather than trying to claim GG wrote everything they did.

Anyway, whoever wrote what doesn't seem to interfere with what they're willing to play live, as when I saw them previously they did (as far as I can remember) all of their biggest hits and sounded great with it.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i think grumpy might have just been referring to Gouldman's 10cc stuff, rather than trying to claim GG wrote everything they did.

Anyway, whoever wrote what doesn't seem to interfere with what they're willing to play live, as when I saw them previously they did (as far as I can remember) all of their biggest hits and sounded great with it.

Rereading, you may be right, in which case I nod to grumpyhack in apology. Twas only a point of trivia, anyhow. My experience when I saw them at Guilfest a few years ago was perhaps the same as yours. Having loved the classic line  up I was filled with dread at the hollow shell I imagined I was going to see, and was very pleasantly surprised at how strong the current line up came across.

18 minutes ago, sparkythetortoise said:

Rereading, you may be right, in which case I nod to grumpyhack in apology. Twas only a point of trivia, anyhow. My experience when I saw them at Guilfest a few years ago was perhaps the same as yours. Having loved the classic line  up I was filled with dread at the hollow shell I imagined I was going to see, and was very pleasantly surprised at how strong the current line up came across.

I saw them at Guilfest too, so I guess that was us at the same show.

And yep, just like you I had low expectations of them, and ended thinking they did it all superbly.

Thanks.  To clarify I wasn't meaning to say that Gouldman was the sole writer of all of 10CC's material. I was just trying to point out what a range of stuff he had written - from 10CC to The Yardbirds.  And they're still good live.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just spotted a recent 10cc 'review' posted on these forums...

10cc at Rock Against Cancer/Concert at the Kings, All Cannings, Wiltshire

Stunning. Tremendous musicianship, top tunes, wonderful harmonies. There's probably only two of the original band still playing, but I had to agree with my mate when he said they sounded like a band on top of their game. If they're on at a festival you're going to this summer, they really are worth going along to see. A real reminder about the craft of quality songwriting.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/211900-g-g-g-gigs-2016/?do=findComment&comment=5012715