Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

I've just remembered that I had a few pics from bluedot that I'd not put online, so have  just added them to the bluedot gallery.

Mostly they're a sequence of pics of the dish on the move, and that batch of pics can be accessed here:-
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/bluedot/2016/galleries.shtml?b=17

And because scottie has already asked me, I'll tell you that the pics were taken over a period of 13 minutes from first to last. :)

• 1 month later...

Announcement at 19:45. Somebody on the Facebook comments has suggested Bjork, I'd definitely be there for her. Could easily be persuaded to get a day ticket for the Sat or Sunday if they're reasonably priced, or maybe a full weekend again if the lineup is really killer.

Just thinking about how Justice are on the road again next year.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

What a load of bollocks!

So this is supposed to be a family friendly festival promoting science and music for kids and adults alike? So they move the festival from late July during the summer holidays to early July during term time

Unless you are living close by then it rules families want  to take kids to a really laid back educational family festival, like me

A really poor decision, what were they thinking, my boys were really looking  forward to going next year after having such a great time this year

Madness

Edited by dingbat2

Immediately stuck me what a bad decision it was to move it back outside of school holidays and I don't have chids. Also seems like winding folk up to tease an announcement only for it to be dates, some bad decision making on Bluedot's part there. May lose them a fair whack of the goodwill they earned from this year.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

My guess is that they're working on the assumption that most people attending are relatively local and could traipse on down after school finished on the Friday. Wasn't it the case that the first thing on was at around 6.30 on the Friday evening this year? They'd need to speed up the wristbanding  etc though if they don't want loads of pissed off people - not that it was bad, but there wasn't any after-school rush.  

Personally, we're thinking of not going now because it's just two weeks after Glastonbury and we like to spread our holiday days out a bit more than that over the summer.  All bets are off though if they get Bjork or the like as an exclusive.

21 hours ago, tillyandthewall said:

The date's no good for me as it'a now the same weekend as Moseley Jazz.  Although Kraftwerk are great and I'd love to see them again, the place would get a lot of daytrippers which changes the atmosphere.

There were a lot more day trippers on the Saturday this year (8 coaches) compared to the Friday (3 coaches) and Sunday (1 coach).  Nature of the beast with festivals close to big cities.

Should be working for this again next year but not heard anything yet about the reason for the date change.  It could be to do with the acts they want to appear but Jodrell Bank is a working site.  If there's work to be done on the dish or if there is date specific scientific work taking place then this will take priority.  Having said that, it'd be a real shame if this means less kids will be going next year.  Great seeing so many kids getting excited by science.  I'll see if I can find anything out.

On 25/10/2016 at 8:52 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

I'd be amazed if the dates haven't been changed to get Kraftwerk in. Shit for me as I'll likely be at another festival that weekend.

I think there is a high probability of this happening and possibly The Flaming Lips

Interesting that their pre-sale tickets actually sold out so despite date change there is still interest. I'm local anyway but was a bit taken back how close it is to Glastonbury as I usually take 2 weeks off, so it will mean back Monday but off Friday/Monday that week to go to Bluedot - I'm gonna die that month!!

On 27/10/2016 at 11:40 AM, tillyandthewall said:

The date's no good for me as it'a now the same weekend as Moseley Jazz.  Although Kraftwerk are great and I'd love to see them again, the place would get a lot of daytrippers which changes the atmosphere.

Place was full of day-trippers on Saturday this year, can't see that changing tbh

• 3 months later...