Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

Just now, LowFatIeuanaise said:

I don't know the economics of festivals but a band like Mogwai could make sense if they had two bigger, safer, and therefore costlier headliners perhaps?

Given the current tour dates and music style I would be very surprised if Pet Shop Boys didn't headline personally. Again no basis, just speculation

Yeah I wouldn't mind Mogwai being one of the headliners; have been wanting to catch them for a while now. Even better if it means they've got a bigger budget for the other two headliners.

As for PSB; doesn't the fact they're playing Manchester arena at the end of May make them quite unlikely? Would be less than two months between the two shows

18 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah I wouldn't mind Mogwai being one of the headliners; have been wanting to catch them for a while now. Even better if it means they've got a bigger budget for the other two headliners.

As for PSB; doesn't the fact they're playing Manchester arena at the end of May make them quite unlikely? Would be less than two months between the two shows

I think that's enough time myself. Apart from BBK Pet Shop Boys have nothing after June and have no UK Fest lined up despite a new album tour (barring a TBC for Glastonbury)

They're pretty damn perfect for BD so would be a bit of an own goal if they didn't bag them this time round. I'm sure the lineup would be great all the same

Edit: Beck is another one doing the rounds but surprisingly hasn't got any UK fest dates. Would be a mammoth booking

Edited by LowFatIeuanaise

4 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

I really think that Doves are headlining . Mogwai and the Doves would be pretty weak. They would need an amazing undercard and huge third headliner if that was the case 

Are Doves too big to sub? The lineup gets significantly bigger each year but I'm wondering if that's a bit too much. Could make for a sizeable co-headliner package á la Hot Chip?

16 minutes ago, LowFatIeuanaise said:

Are Doves too big to sub? The lineup gets significantly bigger each year but I'm wondering if that's a bit too much. Could make for a sizeable co-headliner package á la Hot Chip?

Probably not too big to sub but I'd say that they're too big to sub Mogwai.Mogwai just don't seem big enough to headline to me but that doesn't mean that they're not. They would be the smallest headliner they've had so far though and I could imagine selling day tickets would be a struggle 

19 hours ago, eastynh said:

James play the arena in Manchester every tour. They also sold out Castlefield in record time. Tickets were like absolute gold dust for that.

It is not even close in terms of popularity between LCD Soundsystem and James in Manchester. Manchester is James hometown and their strong hold.  For all the LCD hype on this forum, they are not actually that popular in real terms.

LCD as a UK festival exclusive would be a bigger pull country-wide than James who let's face it, you can see anywhere most years, plus they're a miles better band, especially live.

At some point, Bluedot are going to start to run out of headline options given the demographic they're aiming at and the 'type' of bands that fit the festival. Think they need to think outside of the box in the coming years or widen the net in terms of the type of bands they book, without affecting the crowd demographic and vibe whilst still shifting enough tickets.

5th Feb and still no-one has any idea who's getting booked.

11 minutes ago, DDave said:

LCD as a UK festival exclusive would be a bigger pull country-wide than James who let's face it, you can see anywhere most years, plus they're a miles better band, especially live.

At some point, Bluedot are going to start to run out of headline options given the demographic they're aiming at and the 'type' of bands that fit the festival. Think they need to think outside of the box in the coming years or widen the net in terms of the type of bands they book, without affecting the crowd demographic and vibe whilst still shifting enough tickets.

5th Feb and still no-one has any idea who's getting booked.

Bluedot is not country wide though, its on the outskirts of Manchester. 

1 hour ago, DDave said:

People do travel more than 25 mins to festivals.

I know that mate. Seriously though, a James gig at Jodrel Bank would sell out, no ifs, buts or maybe's. The same can't be said about LCD Soundsystem. The New Order day did not sell out till last minute, last year.

For the money LCD Soundsystem would want, it would be a pretty risky booking. Are they much bigger than Hot Chip? Hot Chip were a good booking as they were probably pretty cheap. All the money probably went on Kraftwerk last year. New Order could walk home after their gig so I don't think they would be too extorionate, plus they have done stuff with the university over the years.

After all that, I would probably go if it was LCD Soundsystem ( or James for that matter )

Lets leave it there mate as it does not matter really does it?

Would LCD Soundsystem, James and AN other do anything for you?

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

For the money LCD Soundsystem would want, it would be a pretty risky booking. Are they much bigger than Hot Chip? Hot Chip were a good booking as they were probably pretty cheap.

I think you're really underestimating how popular LCD Soundsystem are. They're sort of a legacy band at this point but hugely popular across different demographics and with an amazing live reputation. They'd do a lot more tickets than Hot Chip, particularly if it was a northern exclusive.

Either way, they won't be playing this year as they're not active so I'd be curious to see who they've got locked in.

13 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think you're really underestimating how popular LCD Soundsystem are. They're sort of a legacy band at this point but hugely popular across different demographics and with an amazing live reputation. They'd do a lot more tickets than Hot Chip, particularly if it was a northern exclusive.

Either way, they won't be playing this year as they're not active so I'd be curious to see who they've got locked in.

To be fair mate I was speaking in comparison to James who sell far more tickets, I only mentioned Hot Chip as they coheadlined with them at the Apollo years ago. I can only go off their previous gigs in Manchester. They sold out the Apollo years ago as mentioned. Then last tour they played 2 nights at WHP. At Glastonbury their crowd was really small. Now New Orders was not massive the night before, but it was a lot bigger than LCD Soundsystem and they were up against Adele.

I maybe underestimating them but even with the hype of their comeback, they were not exactly selling out huge venues. They might be huge in New York but they are not in northern England.

As you say, they are not a realistic booking anyway so it is all conjecture. 

19 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I know that mate. Seriously though, a James gig at Jodrel Bank would sell out, no ifs, buts or maybe's. The same can't be said about LCD Soundsystem. The New Order day did not sell out till last minute, last year.

For the money LCD Soundsystem would want, it would be a pretty risky booking. Are they much bigger than Hot Chip? Hot Chip were a good booking as they were probably pretty cheap. All the money probably went on Kraftwerk last year. New Order could walk home after their gig so I don't think they would be too extorionate, plus they have done stuff with the university over the years.

After all that, I would probably go if it was LCD Soundsystem ( or James for that matter )

Lets leave it there mate as it does not matter really does it?

Would LCD Soundsystem, James and AN other do anything for you?

Not really tbh. Seen James a few times and the last 2 times they were really below par, big hits missed out (they have a habit of doing this as I'm sure you know), forgotten lyrics and just a lack of any real stage presence. Pity as the 1st time I saw them they were great.

For what it's worth I think they're best off spending the money on a stronger undercard rather than having the big headliners like they have done and maybe even go down the co-headliner route. Doves/Primal Scream would be a strong double header for one of the nights.

17 minutes ago, DDave said:

Not really tbh. Seen James a few times and the last 2 times they were really below par, big hits missed out (they have a habit of doing this as I'm sure you know), forgotten lyrics and just a lack of any real stage presence. Pity as the 1st time I saw them they were great.

For what it's worth I think they're best off spending the money on a stronger undercard rather than having the big headliners like they have done and maybe even go down the co-headliner route. Doves/Primal Scream would be a strong double header for one of the nights.

I fancy Chic personally but people think they would not be a good fit for the festival. I reckon they would go down a treat and it would be a right party, but its not really fitting with the ethos of the venue or theme's that they have. Shame really.