Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

On 7/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Flaminglippy said:

You at Bearded as well?? As a matter of interest which was your favourite of the two? Think Bearded just about edged it for me but very close. Heard about the thefts there (you couldnt help but hear...the compere mentioned it loads). We are definitely doing Bearded again next year, and 95% for Bluedot. Might just wait for the line-up for Bluedot though as less on the music front that is up my street. Wore my Bearded t-shirt to Latitude and had 4 or 5 people come up and start chatting about how much they'd loved it. 

Where does Latitude fit into your ranking? I enjoy latitude but Blue Dot is much more up my street

On 7/24/2018 at 1:27 PM, Memory Man said:

Brilliant for families and the older generation for whom a festival like Glastonbury feels like too much of a slog & hard work. 

Musical undercard remains weak and needs more money spending on it, with maybe less on the headliners?

Ha ha ha - the first point is extremely accurate for my friends. I must confess (at 39) the balance between effort and excitement at Blue Dot is beginning to get closer... but if I had to choose I'd definitely still take Glastonbury. For now.

Personally I was fine with the undercard for a festival that size, but it's just really my type of music. Half the stuff I liked the most I hadn't heard of before the line-up announcement and a couple I stumbled upon. There weren't many big names but I could wander around that small festival all day/night and always find something I like.

12 minutes ago, DJL said:

Where does Latitude fit into your ranking? I enjoy latitude but Blue Dot is much more up my street

Definitely third out of the three. I really enjoyed it but the hike from the car park to the family camping proper put me off (appreciate the site has to be big enough to accommodate everybody but find it hard to believe there isn’t a way to get the car park and camping closer together). Plus the ‘choice’ of only one proper ale...on certain bars...and at certain times of the day. When the sponsorship deal leaves you with a choice of going teetotal or drinking pints of gassy piss water at £5.70 a pop after you’ve forked out nearly £200 a ticket it’s a bit out of order. We might do it again but only if we get a campervan and they sort the beer out!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

its festival republic, they're not going to sort the beer out are they :lol:

'And for that reason...I'm oot'

Never understood it...surely the more choice they give the more people will drink and the more money they will make...same for the bar queues, employ more staff at £10 a hour and they will pay for their salaries with the first 2 pints they serve. People will drink more and therefore spend more if they're not having to queue for 45 minutes to get a pint of something they don't really want to drink anyway    

Some festivals seem to get it right...plenty of bar staff and plenty of choice. This year Bearded Theory was probably the best example of that from the festivals I went to.

Edited by Flaminglippy

1 hour ago, Flaminglippy said:

Some festivals seem to get it right...plenty of bar staff and plenty of choice. This year Bearded Theory was probably the best example of that from the festivals I went to. 

Yep - and because the bars at Bearded are roughly in line with pub prices, people don't feel the need to bring so much of their own alcohol.

So even though Bearded has no real restrictions or checks on bringing in alcohol from the campsites to the arena, the amount of people drinking their own stuff didn't seem to be much higher than at Latitude where people were resorting to all sorts of tricks to get stuff in because of the shockingly poor choice and prices.

44 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep - and because the bars at Bearded are roughly in line with pub prices, people don't feel the need to bring so much of their own alcohol.

So even though Bearded has no real restrictions or checks on bringing in alcohol from the campsites to the arena, the amount of people drinking their own stuff didn't seem to be much higher than at Latitude where people were resorting to all sorts of tricks to get stuff in because of the shockingly poor choice and prices.

There are NO restrictions at BT period... you can take your own beer in, they just ask that you support the local breweries that have tents there.. My first time this year and It is the best solution i have come across...

Agree about Latitude.. They sorted out the food this year but the bars went badly downhill..

• 3 weeks later...

First time for me and very impressed. Good music, great talks and fab food. Particularly those Chicken burgers! 

PSB, Chemi Brothers, Flamming lips and Craig Charles were all top as per usual. Lamb, despite the sound problems were utterly wonderful. Saw them at the Big Chill a few years back and Górecki damn near brought a tear to me eye then, please to say they did the same again at Blue dot 

Also by far and a way the cleanest festival I've ever been too. I was looking at the pictures i took of the main area and there wasn't a single piece of litter anywhere to be seen. 

All in all top marks! 

So pool of headlining/biggish acts suitable for Blue Dot next year? 

New Order, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack, Moby (retired from touring but you never know), LCD Soundystem, Everything Everything, Roisin Murphy, Royskopp, Aphex Twin, The XX, Bjork, Spritualized, Super Furry Animals, Bonobo, Thom Yorke, Doves (should they return)

Any more?

9 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

New Order, Kraftwerk, Massive Attack, Moby (retired from touring but you never know), LCD Soundystem, Everything Everything, Roisin Murphy, Royskopp, Aphex Twin, The XX, Bjork, Spritualized, Super Furry Animals, Bonobo, Thom Yorke, Doves (should they return)

Any more?

Pretty much covered off all the bands I suggested to my other half might be on (think she fell asleep halfway through me talking though). 

Gorillaz might be a shout as well. And Mystery Jets. 

On 8/14/2018 at 11:55 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

Any more?

I'd say Prodigy could be in with a shout as new album Nov so probably be touring next year

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 11:55 AM, DiscothequeDave said:

Any more?

Very good list - I'd be happy with combinations of several of those. We were thinking about Hot Chip, Nile Rodgers, Chaka Khan, Chvrches, Digitalism. Justice (if touring), Faithless and Groove Armada  DJ sets. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Memory Man said:

A few facebook comments are suggesting kraftwerk.

it looks like they’re correct. Strong booking if theyre sharing a headliner with sonar which is a much larger and more estabished event albeit not directly comparable

One of them was me. The colours are very 'Man Machine'-y. 

It's the most obvious booking possible for Blue Dot. Hope it comes off.

7 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Well let's hope the Kraftwork dream comes true, I'm placing bets Prodigy will be there too as right size band and would go down well with the Dad's reliving their youth :D

Do you not think the Prodigy are a little toy town though for Bluedot?