Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

15 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Personally I'm a bit relieved its moved, as just didn't think it would be same running this year with a global pandemic going on (even if UK are mostly jabbed up by then).. just getting used to crowds like this and camping again a month after the final rules are due to be lifted in UK was personally going to be a bit much for me and the fella....

I do hope the headliners remain as solid 3 for me (and 2 of them were who I asked for on the yearly questionnaire they send out) and I will be keeping my tickets for this one 🙂 

To be honest with the current supply issue there is no guarantee that will be the case. Hopefully yes. But Boris isn't going to say how long a shortage is going to last. For his word, everything is okay until it isn't and although Blu Dot fits in for the June part, the whole * made that a very cautious one. But I think realistically it was obvious that was far too early a time scale.

11 hours ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Bit unfair that statement really mate this is factually correct.

“Superstruct owns 60 per cent of the business, while the remaining 40 per cent is owned by AndySmith and fellow co-founder Ben Robinson.”

Superstruct have decided with all there festivals to proceed as if there events post mid June will be going ahead , not sure if this is still true though as line ups for some are still not announced, my opinion is this covid passport could be a lifesaver for large events if you wanna go you get a vaccine you take a test you prove you’ve been positive it’s simple , but there’s 2 many tin foil wearing 5G signal boosting weirdos out there to embrace it I would think ! Conspiracy theories every where 😂 

As for bluedot there are a collection of people that will make the decision not just from the fields I would presume ie Jodrell Bank , Manchester university and maybe even Engine number 4 or what ever they changed their name to when ground control was rebranded probably just way to much risk for what’s a fairly new festival that’s probably not as financially established as say superstruct which is a hedge funded company 

I said it in another thread, I think people are getting too excited about events returning and this passport. The events supply chain and logistics are hanging on by a thread. How much notice do you think these events and that supply chain need to reboot? A lot are freelancers that have moved elsewhere. Events staff are still on full time furlough or only working part time. 

Deadlines are fast approaching for deposits and paying out huge sums of money with no covid related insurance available. 

I know why the likes of Tramlines and Truck (and even Y Not that's not part of the same gang anymore) haven't announced their line up, it's more to do with music industry politics and agents. But now with further uncertainty I can't imagine they rushing to get a line up out if there is no green light, it's just more money to spend on marketing, web developers etc. 

All events are planning to go ahead the best they can until they can't, basically. That will be when they have to start paying out. Of course all stakeholders will be involved in that decision on some level. 

Edited by JBarbour

4 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

I said it in another thread, I think people are getting too excited about events returning and this passport. The events supply chain and logistics are hanging on by a thread. How much notice do you think these events and that supply chain need to reboot? A lot are freelancers that have moved elsewhere. Events staff are still on full time furlough or only working part time. 

Deadlines are fast approaching for deposits and paying out huge sums of money with no covid related insurance available. 

I know why the likes of Tramlines and Truck (and even Y Not that's not part of the same gang anymore) haven't announced their line up, it's more to do with music industry politics and agents. But now with further uncertainty I can't imagine they rushing to get a line up out if there is no green light, it's just more money to spend on marketing, web developers etc. 

All events are planning to going ahead the best they can until they can't, basically. That will be when they have to start paying out. Of course all stakeholders will be involved in that decision on some level. 

Personally I thank your inputs because they open up the wider angle than just.....we've got this many people vaccined so we can do this and it's no issue.

Blu Dot gone. Boomtown hanging by a thread. Being that it's not independent. Does that not mean that festivals that are and can't rely on any sponsor profit money etc rely solely on what they can do themselves? And naturally any funds lost from last year as well that won't just magically appear through profit. They also take much less on the bar.

36 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Personally I thank your inputs because they open up the wider angle than just.....we've got this many people vaccined so we can do this and it's no issue.

Blu Dot gone. Boomtown hanging by a thread. Being that it's not independent. Does that not mean that festivals that are and can't rely on any sponsor profit money etc rely solely on what they can do themselves? And naturally any funds lost from last year as well that won't just magically appear through profit. They also take much less on the bar.

I think it's the supply chain and bigger picture. A lot of people that see festivals just see the brand like Glastonbury, Boomtown, Blue Dot... And thats all that really matters for the most part to fans. 

The industry as a whole is on its knees, its deeper than just the brand of the festival. They can't just click their fingers and put on a large scale event next week. There is next to no money flowing in the events industry and supply chain. 

Live Nation maybe able to pull themselves through quickly and get some events on as they have their own supply chain and logistics for the most part as they bought up a load of companies and do a lot internally. They will still rely on outside companies and freelancers for some aspects though. 

Even with newbies Superstruct with deep hedge fund money, they not stupid, they are not going to spend money if they can't get it back. 

For festivals to even make a small margin they have to sell out and sometimes even have decent weather during the event

Edited by JBarbour

4 minutes ago, JBarbour said:

I think it's the supply chain and bigger picture. A lot of people that see festivals just see the brand like Glastonbury, Boomtown, Blue Dot... And thats all that really matters for the most part to fans. 

The industry as a whole is on its knees, its deeper than just the brand of the festival. They can't just click their fingers and put on a large scale event next week. There is next to no money flowing in the events industry and supply chain. 

Live Nation maybe able to pull themselves through quickly and get on some events on as they have their own supply chain and logistics for the most part as they bought up a load of companies and do a lot internally. They will still rely on outside companies and freelancers for some aspects though. 

Even with newbies Superstruct with deep hedge fund money, they not stupid they are not going to spend money if they can't get it back. 

For festivals to even make a small margin they have to sell out and sometimes even have decent weather during the event

Yup exactly. You can even see from the lineups that are coming out this year bar the odd exception where a ticket is fairly cheap anyway that huge funds aren't being spend on events that are going to sell out if Bill and Ben play.

This why I'm sceptical over people thinking if they can do this and that vaccine wise it's all good and dandy. Whereas I see it as bigger than that.

If something doesn't change in that vaccine system on it's own and the youngsters aren't getting vaccines until back end of June time, I think that's too late for many August events being that I think they'll need the second one too and currently that is pushing well into August now and over with the 3 week settle period.

I agree. Bluedot really had no other choice than to postpone. There are multiple factors at play including ensuring artists can actually be there to perform. I get the impression a lot of people in general are thinking everything is going to be back to normal from next week, this is really wishful thinking, but we're really not out of the woods with this yet. Just look at how things are in the EU and other parts of the world. 

I hate to be negative about it, and I really wanted to attend Bluedot in July like the rest of us, but we all need to be so cautious still, the virus hasn't gone away. The last thing any of us want is for more restrictions to be imposed.

One day hopefully soon we'll all be able to get out and party, and put this nightmare behind us.

Has anyone actually had an email from Bluedot yet regarding this? 

13 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Yup exactly. You can even see from the lineups that are coming out this year bar the odd exception where a ticket is fairly cheap anyway that huge funds aren't being spend on events that are going to sell out if Bill and Ben play.

This why I'm sceptical over people thinking if they can do this and that vaccine wise it's all good and dandy. Whereas I see it as bigger than that.

If something doesn't change in that vaccine system on it's own and the youngsters aren't getting vaccines until back end of June time, I think that's too late for many August events being that I think they'll need the second one too and currently that is pushing well into August now and over with the 3 week settle period.

The vaccine won't be the issue. Younger people will be able to go pub, festivals etc. Businesses aren't going to turn down money, especially if its not policed. They maybe responsible and require a negative test at least but after a few months I can see that fading out. 

Line ups is a whole different discussion 😀

There is high demand for events at the moment so organisers can afford to put on subpar or lackluster line ups. But organisers can't go too far with it because festivals are only as good as their last. There maybe high demand this and next year, then people start thinking we'll not bother with that event because it was shite the last time.

I am still hopeful I can get to some events this year and they can pull it off. I'm worried some events will not be up to the standards we are used to though, if they go ahead. 

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Same here, I did notice that they are only giving you a week to decide if you want a refund. 

Yeah I noticed that. I seem to remember there was a deadline on last years postponement email, but I don't remember it being that short.

1 hour ago, dotdash79 said:

Same here, I did notice that they are only giving you a week to decide if you want a refund. 

That seems a bit harsh, just a week to decide. I'm sure their team have looked at what they can offer legally but morally it's not the best. What happens if people not picking up the emails straight away and it's ending up in spam folders. People are stuck with tickets for an event they have no idea if they can attend or afford next year. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

First lineup announcement and final release of weekend tickets, coming in February.

I wonder if they'll have the same headliners as before? I'm happy with Groove Armada returning - probably a good thing as is this not their last live tour? Hoping they'll replace Metronomy with something better though..

I wonder if Groove Armada and Metronomy would have been announced at the same time as Bjork back in September if it was still the 2020 three?.   

Keep thinking of Royksopp with them making a come back would fit in that dance category. 

Bloc Party and Spiritualized would seem big enough and fit.