Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

I wish they would give us an update or something, especially given Kendal (a week later by same team) has been announced and sold out... even if they just advise when they are going to give us the next update

Personally I'd rather it was pushed back but it will be interesting to see what happens tbh

3 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

I wish they would give us an update or something, especially given Kendal (a week later by same team) has been announced and sold out... 

Kendal and Bluedot have a relationship with the same events agency that book and produce the event but have different owners. So I'd imagine it falls to the owners that are having different approaches. Kendal are backed by a US hedge fund

Am not convinced this is going to happen, hearing of contractors being approached for Kendal but not Blue Dot (yet anyway), in normal times they usually do both on the bounce. 

Edited by Paul ™

25 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

Explain like I’m five: can someone please tell me why this is less likely to go ahead than other festivals like Standon, Kendal etc that are around the same time? Is it effectively because of international bookings?

Think that Pauls post just before yours is the best answer - while both festivals are ultimately owned by different companies the same production company handles both Kendal Calling and Blue Dot, and if what he's heard is correct they're pushing ahead with making arrangements for KC but not (currently) Blue Dot.

As to why that is - to be honest it's impossible to say as every festival has a different set of circumstances, with different risks and obstacles and a different approach to them. It could be that they've got more of a reliance on overseas acts / guests, it could be the attitude of the local council, or it could be that the owner of one is prepared to take a risk whereas the other isn't.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

As a side note, what I posted may just be due to possible date shift to later in year for BD. 

Hoping so, as I usually work them both 

Indeed, they did mention it in that survey. Although I wonder when they could move to? Feels like any weekend in August will be full of clashes

2 hours ago, incident said:

Think that Pauls post just before yours is the best answer - while both festivals are ultimately owned by different companies the same production company handles both Kendal Calling and Blue Dot, and if what he's heard is correct they're pushing ahead with making arrangements for KC but not (currently) Blue Dot.

As to why that is - to be honest it's impossible to say as every festival has a different set of circumstances, with different risks and obstacles and a different approach to them. It could be that they've got more of a reliance on overseas acts / guests, it could be the attitude of the local council, or it could be that the owner of one is prepared to take a risk whereas the other isn't.

Top reply. Thanks! I take it things aren’t looking good for this to go ahead in July right now then huh.

Personally I'm a bit relieved its moved, as just didn't think it would be same running this year with a global pandemic going on (even if UK are mostly jabbed up by then).. just getting used to crowds like this and camping again a month after the final rules are due to be lifted in UK was personally going to be a bit much for me and the fella....

I do hope the headliners remain as solid 3 for me (and 2 of them were who I asked for on the yearly questionnaire they send out) and I will be keeping my tickets for this one 🙂 

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

Personally I'm a bit relieved its moved, as just didn't think it would be same running this year with a global pandemic going on (even if UK are mostly jabbed up by then).. just getting used to crowds like this and camping again a month after the final rules are due to be lifted in UK was personally going to be a bit much for me and the fella....

I do hope the headliners remain as solid 3 for me (and 2 of them were who I asked for on the yearly questionnaire they send out) and I will be keeping my tickets for this one 🙂 

They have camping?? 

27 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Seriously you didn't know Bluedot has camping??

of course it does, it's a 3-4 day festival 🙂 

Wow I always assumed it was a day by day event (bit like neighborhood weekender, obviously with a better quality crowd). I've written it off for years with that assumption 😂. Might be in the market for this one in the future! 

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wow I always assumed it was a day by day event (bit like neighborhood weekender, obviously with a better quality crowd). I've written it off for years with that assumption 😂. Might be in the market for this one in the future! 

When it used to be the Transmission gigs they were 1 day events, but no Bluedot has been a camping festival since it's 1st year

Used to be 3 days and now extra day on the Thursday (at extra cost)

I've been to everyone and love it as very local to me, plus the size is less a pain on your feet than say Glastonbury... think the whole thing including camping could fit in dairy ground!

46 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

When it used to be the Transmission gigs they were 1 day events, but no Bluedot has been a camping festival since it's 1st year

Used to be 3 days and now extra day on the Thursday (at extra cost)

I've been to everyone and love it as very local to me, plus the size is less a pain on your feet than say Glastonbury... think the whole thing including camping could fit in dairy ground!

Ah I know what happened now- I thought the transmission gigs had been rebranded but never thought to look at the details!

It sounds amazing! 

20 minutes ago, missnutmeg said:

And yet Kendal Calling, which is one week later, is supposedly going ahead? Maybe that’s going to prove a bit ambitious as things pan out...? 🤔

Its slightly different circumstances. From The Fields run both events but they don't own both events. They are like a contractor for Kendal, they book and organise it but don't finance it. I've got a feeling over the coming weeks July events will start getting cancelled or rescheduled. Its getting to a point when events will have to start paying out and making deposits yet there is no concrete dates or end in sight. I can't imagine them wanting to take risks especially when there is no covid related insurance. 

1 hour ago, JBarbour said:

Its slightly different circumstances. From The Fields run both events but they don't own both events. They are like a contractor for Kendal, they book and organise it but don't finance it. I've got a feeling over the coming weeks July events will start getting cancelled or rescheduled. Its getting to a point when events will have to start paying out and making deposits yet there is no concrete dates or end in sight. I can't imagine them wanting to take risks especially when there is no covid related insurance. 

Bit unfair that statement really mate this is factually correct.

“Superstruct owns 60 per cent of the business, while the remaining 40 per cent is owned by AndySmith and fellow co-founder Ben Robinson.”

Superstruct have decided with all there festivals to proceed as if there events post mid June will be going ahead , not sure if this is still true though as line ups for some are still not announced, my opinion is this covid passport could be a lifesaver for large events if you wanna go you get a vaccine you take a test you prove you’ve been positive it’s simple , but there’s 2 many tin foil wearing 5G signal boosting weirdos out there to embrace it I would think ! Conspiracy theories every where 😂 

As for bluedot there are a collection of people that will make the decision not just from the fields I would presume ie Jodrell Bank , Manchester university and maybe even Engine number 4 or what ever they changed their name to when ground control was rebranded probably just way to much risk for what’s a fairly new festival that’s probably not as financially established as say superstruct which is a hedge funded company 

Edited by LOCHLAND5