Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

15 hours ago, JimiC999 said:

Hi All........ my first time at Blue Dot this year........ is there much more music to be announced? Having seen Keeley Forsyth announced for EOTR, I'm hoping she'll be added here too

Thanks

Bluedot confirmed that there will be a few bits of music to be added.

In the past they have always saved a fairly big name for the final poster but this year the headliners for Friday and Saturday aren't that big so not sure who they will add.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave85radiohead said:

Bluedot confirmed that there will be a few bits of music to be added.

In the past they have always saved a fairly big name for the final poster but this year the headliners for Friday and Saturday aren't that big so not sure who they will add.

Bjork will have been very expensive so wouldn't get your hopes up about any major names being added.

• 1 month later...

Was very much looking forward to this but sadly I also think that cancellation will be inevitable. Even if restrictions are starting to be lifted towards the end of June I don't think that they would have enough time to prepare and I doubt that the  could get hold of enough medical support to allow the festival to go ahead.

Womad, on the same weekend has been cancelled. This cancellation is inevitable, yet it looks like they're still selling tickets on their website, which seems irresponsible. Hope they're not going to pull a fast one and claim bankruptcy to avoid giving out refunds. A smaller festival did that to me once

I don't think WOMAD is a fair comparison. Not all festivals are equal in this - some have much longer build times (Glastonbury, Boomtown) and so need to take an earlier decision. There'll also be a certain amount of regional difference in terms of what approach the various local authorities take. WOMAD being twice the size of Blue Dot will also factor into decisions.

In the specific case of WOMAD, they'll have an issue in that a large part of their lineup is being brought in from all over the world and so they've got all the extra complications that creates in terms of paperwork and transport both of which will be massively disrupted.

Yeah, Blue Dot probably is going to end up cancelled. But if the situation does somehow improve enough to allow it to safely go ahead then they should be given every chance to get there rather than calling it off earlier than is necessary.

• Upvote 1

On 4/8/2020 at 5:28 PM, Gilgamesh69 said:

WOMAD has cancelled, which is on the same weekend. Any chance of this still happening?

I think the key difference between the two is that WOMAD has artists from many countries, whereas Bluedot could do the festival with only British acts if they had to

On 4/10/2020 at 4:19 PM, incident said:

I don't think WOMAD is a fair comparison. Not all festivals are equal in this - some have much longer build times (Glastonbury, Boomtown) and so need to take an earlier decision. There'll also be a certain amount of regional difference in terms of what approach the various local authorities take. WOMAD being twice the size of Blue Dot will also factor into decisions.

In the specific case of WOMAD, they'll have an issue in that a large part of their lineup is being brought in from all over the world and so they've got all the extra complications that creates in terms of paperwork and transport both of which will be massively disrupted.

Yeah, Blue Dot probably is going to end up cancelled. But if the situation does somehow improve enough to allow it to safely go ahead then they should be given every chance to get there rather than calling it off earlier than is necessary.

On 4/10/2020 at 2:58 PM, Wanderlei said:

Womad, on the same weekend has been cancelled. This cancellation is inevitable, yet it looks like they're still selling tickets on their website, which seems irresponsible. Hope they're not going to pull a fast one and claim bankruptcy to avoid giving out refunds. A smaller festival did that to me once

WOMAD was told that they will not be allowed to hold this year festival, it got taken out of the organisers hands it would seem. It could be the case that local authorities have a big role to play in pushing early cancellations.  It will also be unlikely any event will receive support from local police and medical teams/facilities for festival sites, so councils will be forced to revoke licences even if there is relaxed restrictions this summer. 

• Upvote 1

Whilst I was really looking forward to this year, I'm not even sure I'd be comfortable going to a festival in July tbh as this virus will be around for a while yet and festivals aren't the most hygienic places!! 

Even Bearded being moved to Sept is making me a bit nervous but I'm trying to remain positive :( 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, JBarbour said:

WOMAD was told that they will not be allowed to hold this year festival, it got taken out of the organisers hands it would seem. It could be the case that local authorities have a big role to play in pushing early cancellations.  It will also be unlikely any event will receive support from local police and medical teams/facilities for festival sites, so councils will be forced to revoke licences even if there is relaxed restrictions this summer. 

That seems like a fair assumption 👍