Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

Does anyone know if the capacity is increasing from 21K last year, to the now permitted 25K? Last year was very busy, not helped by the terrible weather and pretty awful organisation. The Lovell Stage also has never employed large screens on either side of the stage, making it just about impossible to see the performers if you're trying to avoid the crush and standing further back than the mixing desk tent. I might have hoped they'd rectify that this year but I've yet to see any acknowledgement from the organisers that they've learned from any of the feedback. Also for other folk posting here who haven't been before, other festival-goers reported the parking and exiting from the site was atrocious, especially on the Sunday night, as fields turned into mud, and with no stewards to facilitate matters or direct traffic. Probably be the same this year as I'd guess Bjork's set will attract the largest crowd.

I felt sorry for the groundsmen at Jodrell Bank, turning up on Monday to see how much of their park had been trashed. 

6 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

They did the whole Sea of Brass tour with a full brass band, so it's not out of the question as something they could do.

Don't really know much about them but I've seen some of the venue's they've played at it seems like there's no such thing as ordinary with them

The tunes I've heard I like so I'd more than take it

7 minutes ago, LowFatIeuanaise said:

Don't really know much about them but I've seen some of the venue's they've played at it seems like there's no such thing as ordinary with them

The tunes I've heard I like so I'd more than take it

They are one of the most stunning, boundary pushing, and throughly exhilarating live acts in the world.  I've seen them dozens of times, more than any other band (but made easier by the fact I live in Brighton), and they really are worth any effort it takes to see them.

32 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

What sort of setlist do we think Bjork will play? I'm tempted by this but I don't want to commit if the setlist is likely to just be Utopia in full, I've tried & tried but I can't get into that album. 

The orchestral element means she'll hopefully have to tap into her earlier discography. I'm imagining joga and hunter will be on the set as well as Isobel and if we're really lucky (I highly highly doubt it) she'll do it's oh so quiet

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

What sort of setlist do we think Bjork will play? I'm tempted by this but I don't want to commit if the setlist is likely to just be Utopia in full, I've tried & tried but I can't get into that album. 

Thing is, it says "all arrangements by Bjork" so that's kinda making me wonder if it'll be all new/original pieces. I mean come on now, if anyone was going to do a set and play songs that nobody has heard before, it would be Bjork

18 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Thing is, it says "all arrangements by Bjork" so that's kinda making me wonder if it'll be all new/original pieces. I mean come on now, if anyone was going to do a set and play songs that nobody has heard before, it would be Bjork

No, I'm pretty certain that they mean the STRING arrangements will have been done by Bjork. The pieces themselves (in the main) will be established songs of her's.

20 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

I imagine they'll be on just before Bjork 

It's a real shame that they're not both on the same stage. Might be difficult to watch Spiritualised and then get a decent spot for Bjork, if there's not a lot of time between their individual sets finishing and starting.

19 minutes ago, dabber7 said:

It's a real shame that they're not both on the same stage. Might be difficult to watch Spiritualised and then get a decent spot for Bjork, if there's not a lot of time between their individual sets finishing and starting.

They left 45 minutes between Gruff Rhys and New Order last year although 20 for Hot Chip and Jon Hopkins. Got a good feeling they'll realise how much crossover there will be for the audience and plan ahead. 

Is Spiritualized definitely before Bjork though? I assumed the former would close the festival myself

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Isn't it more likely they'll have some DJ/electronic act to close the festival? Would make more sense to close with a party yknow

As someone who is often dead and buried by the Sunday night, I'm all for getting floaty to Spiritualized to finish it off. Difficult to tell as they could've easily been a slightly small but solid headliner in my opinion.

Rounded off last year at the Tarantino Disco myself

Yeah the Orbit normally winds down with a couple of DJs on the Sunday night, presumably because they think people are much less likely to stick around after the headliner that evening because of work and stuff. 

I reckon Spiritualized will do the same slot as Gruff, just for slightly longer. 

Not sure whether this has been mentioned already, but from a press release detailing ‘Björk Orchestral’: 

‘After Björk’s most elaborate stage performance to date, ‘Cornucopia’, she announces today that she will embark on a new tour in 2020, ‘Björk Orchestral’. 

Unlike Cornucopia’s elaborate stage production, Björk orchestral will focus on Björk’s acoustic string arrangements of her works so far.’

Sounds fantastic.