Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

1 minute ago, JimiC999 said:

Apologies for contributing to the many questions, but is there much to do at Blue Dot after the headliners have finished? Does it run late?

Thanks

I'd say the music runs until around 1/2am. Then they had some film screenings that began at 3 if I recall correctly.

Not exactly party central at evenings but it goes on after the headliners for sure

I'm really happy with that 1st drop tbh, as Metronomy and Bjork were 2 of my picks on the questionnaire thingie they send out :)

Looks like some great after hours stuff and science - Tim Peake!! Hitchhikers guide live, oooh soo excited already but just need a bit of cash to buy tickets and we're all good! 

We're looking at coming from Dublin for this.  Hope someone can advise...   Is the best way to get from Manchest Airport to the festival likely to be by taxi? On the return is it possible to book a pickup at the festival to go to the airport?  Has there ever been any trouble with traffic exiting the site? Thanks!

On 2/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, eFestivals said:

There's an act on there that I once suggested to the bluedot booker after seeing them at a fest where i thought they were great, and said something about them not appearing at many festivals.

No huge shakes, but I'm surprised they don't get booked by more festivals more often.

So Neil, who was it?! I am guessing Holy F...? Spiritualized maybe?

9 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

So Neil, who was it?! I am guessing Holy F...? Spiritualized maybe?

!!! (chk chk chk).

I've seen them a couple of times at festivals, about 10 years apart. First time I didn't enjoy cos the sound was dreadful, but saw them a few years ago at WOMAD and they were superb.

Strangely they don't appear on many festival bills.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

!!! (chk chk chk).

I've seen them a couple of times at festivals, about 10 years apart. First time I didn't enjoy cos the sound was dreadful, but saw them a few years ago at WOMAD and they were superb.

They are brilliant. Always said that the daft name has definitely had a hinderence on their career. I thought !!! were a death metal band until I stumbled across them at a festival. 

Sinkane on the bill as well who are also ace. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

!!! (chk chk chk).

They appear on a normal percentage of festival bills I'd say, and an appropriate % of UK ones too, given that they are American.

They don't seem to like doing long tours in general which is why they don't play a lot of festivals.

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They appear on a normal percentage of festival bills I'd say, and an appropriate % of UK ones too, given that they are American.

from where i'm sat and the number of times efestivals has them listed for* a festival over the years I'd definitely say they play few festie shows compared to many other non-UK bands that do the festie circuit.

* 16 UK festivals since 2004 - an average of one a year (and that's counting Reading/Leeds as 2 festivals).

12 hours ago, snipe said:

We're looking at coming from Dublin for this.  Hope someone can advise...   Is the best way to get from Manchest Airport to the festival likely to be by taxi? On the return is it possible to book a pickup at the festival to go to the airport?  Has there ever been any trouble with traffic exiting the site? Thanks!

25 minutes by car from the airport to Jodrell Bank, so taxi is the easiest way.

Yes, taxis pick up from the main entrance - it's probably busiest after the headliner on the Sunday. A Monday pick up will be a doddle, but in general from what I've seen, you could be waiting around for 15-20 minutes in the traffic during a bad period. Not really anything to worry about.

A note on the booze situation - you are not allowed to bring booze into the main arena and they may have a quick look in your bag if you have one, but in general security are pretty laid back - hide your tinnies in a jumper or blanket and you should be right.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Splonk said:

A note on the booze situation - you are not allowed to bring booze into the main arena and they may have a quick look in your bag if you have one, but in general security are pretty laid back - hide your tinnies in a jumper or blanket and you should be right.

I've never had anyone look in my bag. In fact you're allowed booze in and out as long as its in one of their plastic cups, as far as I can tell. Nobody was stopping anyone doing that last year. 

3 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

I've never had anyone look in my bag. In fact you're allowed booze in and out as long as its in one of their plastic cups, as far as I can tell. Nobody was stopping anyone doing that last year. 

I guess if you do that then they have no way of knowing if you bought the drink from one of the vendors and just carried it to the campsite and back.

Haven't been since 2016, but I remember the bag checks being very cursory then. You could definitely smuggle stuff in.

What was the booze selection like in the last couple of years? Will likely be buying at the bars mainly due to coming by public transport. In 2016 I remember the real ale tent being overrun and the others being empty. How's the cider looking?

This has never really been on my radar but my 7yo is a big NASA/Space fan and this looks like it ticks both boxes of a good lineup and also enough to keep her entertained aside from the music.

Anyone have experience with taking kids to this? My friend is also considering it with his 3 year old - is there much for little 'uns/family camping etc?