Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

16 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Wonder if there'll be a particular theme this year, like they had the Moon Landing last year.

My semi-realistic dream headline trio is Aphex Twin, Spiritualized and LCD Soundsystem. Hoping for at least one...

Why do LCD Soundsystem keep getting mentioned in this thread?  There's no sign of them playing anywhere in 2020 is there? Doesn't feel like a very good fit for them either - I think this is for a slightly more "mature" crowd.  I have this weekend free and would seriously consider this festival (was close to attending last year for New Order) but am expecting something fairly underwhelming.  Especially since Massive Attack are UK Exclusive at APE.

Doubt they'll play but don't see why they wouldn't be suited to this festival.They seem a perfect fit to me.

In terms of the audience been too 'mature' didn't they form in 2002?

Alt J and Future Islands have both headlined and are more recent than LCD sound system . 

Also would LCD Sound system attract a much different crowd than say hot chip or the chemical brothers?

The problem with LCD Soundsystem is that for all the hullaballoo on efests, they would be a pretty underwhelming headliner act for a festival on the outskirts of Manchester. They have won me over a bit recently but I don't see them as headliners really.

James have announced a few festival shows during the summer. They would be a sure fire ticket seller.

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The problem with LCD Soundsystem is that for all the hullaballoo on efests, they would be a pretty underwhelming headliner act for a festival on the outskirts of Manchester. They have won me over a bit recently but I don't see them as headliners really.

James have announced a few festival shows during the summer. They would be a sure fire ticket seller.

So LCD Soundsystem would be a underwhelming headliner, but James would be a sure fire ticket seller? Right.

The Rolling Stones to sub, anyone?

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So LCD Soundsystem would be a underwhelming headliner, but James would be a sure fire ticket seller? Right.

The Rolling Stones to sub, anyone?

James sell out the arena in Manchester. LCD Soundsystem have to co headline the Apollo with Hot Chip. 

Do you really think LCD Soundsystem would sell more tickets in the Manchester area than James?

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah but how long ago was that?

James play the arena in Manchester every tour. They also sold out Castlefield in record time. Tickets were like absolute gold dust for that.

It is not even close in terms of popularity between LCD Soundsystem and James in Manchester. Manchester is James hometown and their strong hold.  For all the LCD hype on this forum, they are not actually that popular in real terms.

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Are festivals only attended by people who live relatively nearby though? I'd argue that they are not. I've been to Blue Dot and live nowhere near. Same goes for Glastonbury actually.

People who want to see James would just go to a James gig surely.

I was at the Number 6 where they were added to the Sunday line-up as a special guest. A lot of day tickets were sold and mountains of 40 somethings in James T-shirts appeared for the day. 

8 minutes ago, LowFatIeuanaise said:

Bit late to the party here but are there any legitimate rumours for the headliners or is it all just educated guesses? The lack of lineup at this stage is making me pull my hair out

I heard mogwai. They've just set up a new mailing list today 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Are they really big enough to headline though? Hot Chip were the "small" headliner last year and I'd argue they're much bigger than Mogwai

I don't know the economics of festivals but a band like Mogwai could make sense if they had two bigger, safer, and therefore costlier headliners perhaps?

Given the current tour dates and music style I would be very surprised if Pet Shop Boys didn't headline personally (Edit: assuming BD had the budget). Again no basis, just speculation

Edited by LowFatIeuanaise