Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

6 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Is smuggling cans in easy? 

Not been too bad in the past as long as you arent blatant and dont try to do like 4/5 at once. It helps if its wet and youre in a raincoat!

they will check bags but not pat you down put it that way

i still very much use the bars but will try the odd can here or there maybe once a day

Edited by Memory Man

15 minutes ago, Stretlow said:

The amount of people walking about in trainers is a tragedy.

Even saw people walking about with no shoes on yesterday in the mud

Granted I was only there for a day yesterday, but my scruffy trainers we're sufficient. Yes they're (and i am)caked in mud, but much more comfy than wellies.

Yes the weather was grim. But only for half of it.  It was a great little festival. A fair bit of good music, but the whole science, moon-landings, Jodrell Bank thing was brilliant. There was a range of ages in our group and everyone had a great time. I had one complaint. Booming out, at full volume, the communications between mission control and the Eagle. Done in real time (50 years later). It was somewhat soothing on Friday night. But on Saturday we were all woken with such a start at 3 in the morning by Houston or Neil Armstrong, beaming out at full volume. From what I gathered it was loudest in the family field. I was so relieved when, an hour later, we all heard the voice of Kennedy, thus signifying the end. 

But other than that - we’ve all talked about heading back again next year. It worked on everyone’s individual age level. 

Just seen the dates for next year, 23rd - 26th July 2020.... I cant believe it, we will be able to go again next year, I had given up hope of being able to go again after the last two bluedots fell during term time where we live (Norfolk) - but it looks like these dates are during the school holidays, the day after they break up. We (especially the kids) missed it so much the last two years, but next year we will be able to go again and celebrate the 5th bluedot. Well chuffed, cant wait to return. Thanks bluedot organisers! See you next year!

... P.S. How was it this year, I heard it was a bit muddy, but did you all have fun?

Well that was fun! First time at Bluedot and we really enjoyed it, despite the often atrocious weather. (We had to make an emergency trip into civilisation on Saturday morning as my wife's wellies breached and the on-site shop had everything *but* wellies.)

The big headliners were good but Henge absolutely stole the show across their three (completely different) sets for me. On the whole I was impressed by the diversity and variety of music, although two pretty big complaints: some of the set times were miniscule at the expense of others (some acts with a 1h+ slot mid afternoon, then others at 8pm only playing for 20 minutes!), and some really nasty sound bleed between some stages, most obviously impacting the acoustic Roots stage, but none of the stages were immune from it. 

It was really refreshing to actually have stuff to do in the mornings - I'll take some science talks over a dull campsite sit-around any day, although I do feel like my legs ache more as a result of less time at camp.

Security laid back and jovial - there was some show of force on the Thursday with bag searches at the arena gate and sniffer dogs being led round the camp sites, but I think they figured out pretty quickly that no one was there to cause trouble. Despite a half-decent late night programme, we only saw one or two real casualties over the weekend. And my goodness, Bluedot knows how to pick up litter. Leaving this morning, the camp sites were impressively pristene. 

I hope it doesn't grow much bigger. It *just about* manages to retain a small festival feel but I think even another 5-10k tickets and it would quickly lose that vibe. But I had a good old time there! 

4 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

Just seen the dates for next year, 23rd - 26th July 2020.... I cant believe it, we will be able to go again next year, I had given up hope of being able to go again after the last two bluedots fell during term time where we live (Norfolk) - but it looks like these dates are during the school holidays, the day after they break up. We (especially the kids) missed it so much the last two years, but next year we will be able to go again and celebrate the 5th bluedot. Well chuffed, cant wait to return. Thanks bluedot organisers! See you next year!

... P.S. How was it this year, I heard it was a bit muddy, but did you all have fun?

Really pleased for you that you can go again :) 

We had a fantastic time and was prepared for the wet weather, although those 2 massive downpours on Friday were brutal!!! Glad I was in a tent both times!

Apparently red car park was carnage (not sure whether this was day tripper but saw lots of complains on social media)

Loved the lay out with the whole tranquility area, as mission control is now massive but yet again people just stop on the edges as nearest section is full rather than walk in and see the millions of chairs on the far side!!

Saw loads more talks this year with the highlight being Helen Sharman and liked the fact they put some talks on the main stage too.

I was surprised Deep Space disco was open stage rather than tent, as watched Fleetmac Wood on the Friday but it was so quiet further back but managed to find spot at the front to the right of the stage and sounded ace - so pleased I finally got to see them..

Best set for me were Squid, See through hands, Kraftwerk, New Order, Hot Chip, Radio Science Orchestra (just mind blowing!!), Lucid Dream and the Orielles - Jarvis gets a call out because well it's Jarvis but there were sh*t load of talkers and selfish a**es during set so didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked.

So Bluedot Connect was really easy to use however, there were problems

• auto top up wasn't working when I needed it (apparently hadn't been working most of weekend)
  • I only managed to connect once all weekend on the app to do a top up (which is the whole point of not having cash or cards to pay)
  • WiFi was not good enough to cope with the traffic
  • Talking to people most just assumed it meant contactless card only, so organisers are going to have to reword and really sort out the WiFi so that people can top up online 

Overall great weekend and I will be back next year for sure :) 

Edited by shoptildrop

17 minutes ago, TLS said:

I hope it doesn't grow much bigger. It *just about* manages to retain a small festival feel but I think even another 5-10k tickets and it would quickly lose that vibe. But I had a good old time there! 

We were at a talk about Jodrell earning their world heritage status and Teresa Anderson talked about the future of Jodrell

• Capacity won't increase any further for Bluedot as they like to keep it at the size it is - so they had a increase of capacity this year to 21K but only a few thousand were for punters, the rest is staff and performers (and probably hangers on lol)
  • They are going to do more one day music events throughout the year
  • There is going to be a new museum building being built near where the Roots stage is, which is like a massive hobbit style home that is built into the ground and have grassy hill over it. This will showcase photos, interactive art and museum pieces, they are going to starting building soon
  • Dish will hopefully be fully repaired by next year so they will be able to tilt it (they did try to get it done for this year but no such luck) 

All sounds good to me :) 

Had a great time there, even with the crappy weather. We were worried about getting some drinks through security beforehand but we never got searched, they were more bothered about seeing wristbands. Things I'd do differently are the locations of the stages, far too much sound bleed between them unless you are very close. I still think the payment system was unnecessary. I did see one guy walk off with drinks after his wristband said insufficient funds and the bar staff could do nothing about it. Sunday night we got a double gin and tonic, walked away from the bar then tasted it, no gin in it at all, went back to the bar and they had run out of gin funnily enough. Also saw one of the bars by deep space disco closing at 6 or 7 on the Sunday meaning a trek to next bar. 

On the plus side I did manage to acquire a very nice Tranquility Base Bluedot sign that looks great in the hall ??

Returned after New Order on Sunday, my third year and I always adore it. Everything for everyone. I didn't like some changes to this year, moving of Contact into the new area etc, but it was done for a reason. I didn't expect the weather, my shoes got destroyed but hey, life's what you make it. 

When are we guessing next year's headliners? ? I've heard rumblings that a headliner has already been booked after they announced Kraftwerk.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:10 AM, sprocketrocket said:

Granted I was only there for a day yesterday, but my scruffy trainers we're sufficient. Yes they're (and i am)caked in mud, but much more comfy than wellies.

Na can't agree buddy.

If you had an option after looking at the site of trainers boots or wellies You're not going for the first one.

Sunday was ok but Friday and sat no chance

Again Bluedot was lovely - had to laugh at the madness of it all watching Jerry Dammers of the Specials spinning his archive library of sci-fi music to crazy old sci-fi art and movie visuals "We've got some people here who want to dance - no. This is library music you're not meant to be having fun. It's a serious archive. Now for some french techno reggae." his genuine surprise that people stayed and enjoyed it go to show it's a bit of an odd experience from both sides.

Kraftwerk were great, Hot Chip did a fab set of crowd pleasers and the lightshow was spectacular, Binkbeats really impressed and Jon Hopkins was good but it felt a little gentle, made me curious if the Glasto set was harder. Kate Tempest's set was much more of a hits than the epic we got at the Park, wow Circles seems a long time ago now. Otherwise we watched a lot of comedy this year with Elf Lyons being particularly memorable. Line up was generally less exciting for me this year tbh, but was enough.

Weather was a bit crap though no denying it. Site coped with more rain than I thought it would, but apparently the larger part of storm just missed us and had them properly sweating on the other side of the fence. They're a bit stuffed as the water just stays where it is around there so it did get gopping for a bit, generous applications of straw and some matting sorted out the really bad bits and was sitting by Sunday until New Order made it rain. 

Food options were not as good as last year sadly, still had just enough but it was tight. Expensive too but portions were large. Really missed decent chicken burger, there was only mass-produced option there, and the steamed buns. Had excellent gyros from the proper greek place, and a delicious fish and chips. Beer prices meh but with a site small enough to exclusively drink from the real ale bar and some rum smuggling we didn't mind much. Reception/wifi was dreadful and they really need to sort that if they're going to continue the cashless thing. 

Bizarrely Bluedot got the outer space/chill late night thing right the first year and have stuffed it in strange ways ever since. This year it had all shifted to the other side of the gardens, but again the fire stuff was essentially pointless and only interesting for mere seconds, and the disconnect from the bar and lack of social focus left it pretty dead - but the two big light installations were brilliant. The first had a ring of super-bright mini-searchlights being controlled by people's voices as they spun and twirled light, you had to speak into one of three pillars and the voice signal rushed in lights to and up the 'tree' and contributed to the motion. The other was a dangling cube of light beads with them lighting up to do 3d effects with raindrops, colour swells, sweeps and loads of other effects moving through the space all synchronised to the ambient music playing around there - was very pleasing to just stand and chat in. Didn't seem to be as many other odd bits around - the campsite entrance mushroom horn was missed.

Bluedot's always been ridiculously tidy but the campsites were being left pretty much pristine when we made our exit, sadly the same can't be said for what our feet did to their lovely site. Talk of them having the dish back as a projection surface next year is exciting, and I really hope they sort out the late night stuff for the folk who don't just want to rave - who could be next though?

Edited by frostypaw

2 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I'm trying to think of any acts with space/futuristic/sci-fi themes...

Can we get Monae there? 

I'd be into Monae. How about Janelle Monae/Bjork/The Kinks? or something less out of the field, Aphex Twin/Metronomy (Friday, like the Hopkins/Hot Chip mix), Pet Shop Boys (Saturday) and Massive Attack (Sunday).

Incredible weekend despite Friday's dodgy weather. Highlights were the Hot Chip/Hopkins double bill, New Order and The Orielles. Science stuff good as ever though I'd have liked to see a more of a political spin put on things - liked the Extinction Rebellion stuff so hopefully they build on that. 

Though cashless worked a treat really, no problems all weekend and it was nice not having to carry your wallet around. Meant I ended up spending less too. Just asked for my refund and apparently anything unclaimed after a month goes to charity. 

Would love to see em get The National next year but I guess they probably wont be touring. 

On 7/21/2019 at 9:51 AM, Stretlow said:

The amount of people walking about in trainers is a tragedy.

Even saw people walking about with no shoes on yesterday in the mud

On 7/21/2019 at 10:10 AM, sprocketrocket said:

15 hours ago, Stretlow said:

Na can't agree buddy.

If you had an option after looking at the site of trainers boots or wellies You're not going for the first one.

Sunday was ok but Friday and sat no chance

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Wellies were not necessary on Friday or on Sunday. In fact, had I not made the mistake of going out in my comfy Skechers on Friday instead of my waterproof ones (which I had with me), I could probably have done Saturday in trainers too. Though by Sunday my comfy trainers had dried and were completely fine to wear again (after I scraped the dried mud off with a knife). So, just Saturday in wellies for me and that was only necessary because I put the wrong trainers on Saturday. And, yes, trainers are far more comfy than wellies!

Roisin Murphy / Bombay Bicycle Club / Doves

Royksopp / Metronomy /  LCD Soundsystem

Johnny Marr / Suede / 2manyDJ's space inspired DJ set 

And I'm there. Can't see the headliners getting any bigger so would like to see more strength in depth for 2020

Edited by DDave