Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

15 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

What we saying about the huge gap on Lovell on Sunday? Can squeeze a full set in there. Must be able to come up with some tasty rumours ? 

Could it be Doves. Sure they’ve tweeted about this and yet never been announced. Secret set due to Global commitments?

16 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Oh - a second question on camping. Does family camping equal ‘family quiet’ or ‘family babies’ (the latter obviously negating the former). 

Our group has two 9 year olds and two 17 year olds! 

We arrived midday Friday last year; and took space for two big tents in the fam camping bit. Q1) therefore you should be fine if you don't mind going down into one of the corners of the campsite and Q2) It's family quiet so no raucous late night camp drinking laughing singing. You might have my 2 year old jumping into the side of your tent at 6:30 mind! Sorry in advance ;) My impression was the whole camping area was mostly quiet after hours though - maybe someone camping in the more general areas can confirm...

And then again Johnny Marr is also on in Sheffield that weekend and he played with New Order when they last played at Jodrell Bank!?!?

There's nothing quite like a good festival rumour, and this is nothing like a good festival rumour! ?

Edited by robskyd
correction to date

5 minutes ago, robskyd said:

And then again Johnny Marr is also on in Sheffield that weekend and he played with New Order when they last played at Jodrell Bank!?!?

There's nothing quite like a good festival rumour, and this is nothing like a good festival rumour! ?

Makes me think of this recent interview: https://www.nme.com/news/music/johnny-marr-tells-us-next-supergroup-hed-like-form-2521180

“So maybe I’ll just join New Order… on bass"

15 hours ago, michael eavis' beard said:

In previous years Tim O'Brien has had a daily slot on the Lovell stage.  Only showing on the Friday so far. Could be that?

Yeah it could be that, I enjoyed those talks last year and could see this for the Saturday slot as he does a 45 min talk so that will leave 25mins either side for band set ups...

I do think it's something bigger in that Sunday slot as even with a 30 min either side you have an hour & 10 min slot - I agree with a comment about a extinction rebellion something with maybe David A joining them.. 

4 hours ago, frostypaw said:

I think that's a reasonable bet as they have embraced the Extinction Rebellion thing.

Don't look at the weather, but the models seem to imply it's a lump happening to pass over us - doesn't have to move much to miss entirely so fingers crossed.

Yeah I think that could be a case of a collab with Extintion rebellion...

Weather is fine cloud, sun and light showers which might go away - it does seem to always rain on the Friday lol ...... I'm more concerned with those thunderstorms

Least it will be warm and a bit of light rain will be fine

5 hours ago, DDave said:

The wristband payment thing sounds like a right faff. I'm predicting it'll be scrapped by Saturday afternoon. 

I'm after some cheap Sunday tickets if anyone is selling btw. 

I think it might cause confusion for day trippers as some people are still not clued up on the cashless system, as seen lots of comments about it on social media which might cause a few problems..

However, it's actually dead easy to set up and I did a small top up via the app last night and it took seconds which was great - as there are free WiFi areas next to all the connect points which will help for sure.

I wasn't a fan initially but I've just accepted it will be easier and you don't have to worry about your cash

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

I think it might cause confusion for day trippers as some people are still not clued up on the cashless system, as seen lots of comments about it on social media which might cause a few problems..

However, it's actually dead easy to set up and I did a small top up via the app last night and it took seconds which was great - as there are free WiFi areas next to all the connect points which will help for sure.

I wasn't a fan initially but I've just accepted it will be easier and you don't have to worry about your cash

My take on this is, whether or not this system is "easy", it is completely out of order that it was only announced a month before the festival. However, it is happening, so there is no point in further dissent.

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

Yeah I think that could be a case of a collab with Extintion rebellion...

Weather is fine cloud, sun and light showers which might go away - it does seem to always rain on the Friday lol ...... I'm more concerned with those thunderstorms

Least it will be warm and a bit of light rain will be fine

I'm sorry, I'm not having it! The rain can fuck right off, I want blazing sunshine each and every day and will settle for no less!

5 minutes ago, beergut100 said:

My take on this is, whether or not this system is "easy", it is completely out of order that it was only announced a month before the festival. However, it is happening, so there is no point in further dissent.

I wasn't happy either as don't like pre-paid wristbands but as you say it's happening whether we like it or not so at peace with it...

I do envision lots of complaints from day trippers or people who don't read social media or emails tipping up not realising its cashless... it's totally guaranteed unfortunately :(  

9 minutes ago, beergut100 said:

I'm sorry, I'm not having it! The rain can fuck right off, I want blazing sunshine each and every day and will settle for no less!

:lol: I've just come to peace with what the weather throws at me... personally I'm okay with some cloud cover and rain will hopefully bugger off quickly tbh

35 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

:lol: I've just come to peace with what the weather throws at me... personally I'm okay with some cloud cover and rain will hopefully bugger off quickly tbh

Same here, I tend not to worry about things I have no control over, although I do like to plan accordingly.

How has the ground been at previous Bluedots when it's rained? Has it got muddy quickly or remained fairly solid despite being soaked? I'm backpacking it from several counties away so want to make sure I bring the most appropriate footwear. ?

I imagine if it's only a few showers then the decent temps should help keep the ground dry enough anyway.

7 minutes ago, JonXLR8 said:

Same here, I tend not to worry about things I have no control over, although I do like to plan accordingly.

How has the ground been at previous Bluedots when it's rained? Has it got muddy quickly or remained fairly solid despite being soaked? I'm backpacking it from several counties away so want to make sure I bring the most appropriate footwear. ?

I imagine if it's only a few showers then the decent temps should help keep the ground dry enough anyway.

The times I've been it's took a heavy beating on the Friday evening and maybe a few showers here and there and ground has been fine - which based on weather forecast at moment the ground will survive okay.. apparently it's quite clay based soil around the site

Back in the Transmission gig days when there was torrential rain it did bugger up the site and ended up cancelling the Sunday (year of Paul Weller) , but that is proper continuous rain which we won't get so don't worry..

Also, remember apart from main stage all other stages are covered in the arena :) 

To add - there is a lot of grass areas which I've never seen get muddy or water logged - walking boots or decent trainers will be fine around site even if it rains

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Upvote 1

How far away is the weeekend camping car park from the site?

There is no way I can camp any more due to health issues. With me living in Manchester, I have decided to drive on the Friday & Saturday and not have a drink those days. I plan to drive home after Hot Chip and Kraftwerk.

I have paid for weekend parking. Will they pull their faces at me leaving the car park and coming back the next day?

On the Sunday I am going to have a drink so have paid for a coach from Manchester.

Hi

First time at Blue Dot, looking forward to it! Looks like I'll be getting the train to Goostrey. I don't mind the walk, but does anyone who's done it before know the best route? eg. can you walk in from the A535 entrance on the south of the site, or do you need to walk round to the main entrance on the north, from Bomish Lane? Would prefer not to arrive at the wrong end and get turned away!

Cheers

5 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Also, remember apart from main stage all other stages are covered in the arena :) 

To add - there is a lot of grass areas which I've never seen get muddy or water logged - walking boots or decent trainers will be fine around site even if it rains

Are all the other stages covered?  I thought the roots stage was outside?  Also the deep space disco- I thought that was a new stage, so do we know if that's covered?

Thanks x

First time Bluedotter here too, finally! Being wanting to go since it started but could never swing the July off work until I changed jobs this year! 

Anyway hoping you can help me with a couple of queries.. can any past weekend campers confirm what the situtation is with returning to the car, we are camping from Thursday but dont have a cart etc to wheel everything up in one go and I cannot see anything on the website to state there is no re-entry, like a lot of festivals.

My friends are going to wilderness which explicity states a maximum of 12 cans or 2 bottles of wine per person for the weekend! Happy Bluedot states 'a reasonable amount for one person', very subjective ha ha! Do they tend to search peoples stuff to check this? I've never really had this at a festival before but it will be getting on for 10 years since I camped at one!

TIA Bluedotters!

Edited by Mike E.P

4 hours ago, eastynh said:

How far away is the weeekend camping car park from the site?

There is no way I can camp any more due to health issues. With me living in Manchester, I have decided to drive on the Friday & Saturday and not have a drink those days. I plan to drive home after Hot Chip and Kraftwerk.

I have paid for weekend parking. Will they pull their faces at me leaving the car park and coming back the next day?

On the Sunday I am going to have a drink so have paid for a coach from Manchester.

Not far at all, it's tiny. Car parks right up to the gate, a few minute's amble to the campsite entrance kinda thing. They won't have any issue with you re-parking, you've paid for weekend parking - I suspect many locals will be doing similar and having their own bed

If you look on the google maps satellite view and see the Lovell Tree Collectoin the car parks/entrance are the northern side of it at it's closest approach to the field, the campsites the southern with their entrance directly opposite - you can see a worn out patch in the grass

Also: Pretty sure you have to approach from Bomish Lane

Roots stage is indeed outside 

Alcohol is freely taken to the campsite pretty much, but not into the arena

9 hours ago, Stanful said:

Hi

First time at Blue Dot, looking forward to it! Looks like I'll be getting the train to Goostrey. I don't mind the walk, but does anyone who's done it before know the best route? eg. can you walk in from the A535 entrance on the south of the site, or do you need to walk round to the main entrance on the north, from Bomish Lane? Would prefer not to arrive at the wrong end and get turned away!

Cheers

This is what the festival said when someone on twitter asked a similar question:

C85186ED-4D18-4317-93BD-2D84C340B426.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Summertime said:

This is what the festival said when someone on twitter asked a similar question:

C85186ED-4D18-4317-93BD-2D84C340B426.jpeg

What a d1ck...why when given that information would you go against the actual advice of the people organising it? What would happen if lots if people decided to walk on unpaved roads to the festival? Oh yes, that's right, a load of extra work and assurances when obtaining future licenses and insurance. 

7 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Not far at all, it's tiny. Car parks right up to the gate, a few minute's amble to the campsite entrance kinda thing. They won't have any issue with you re-parking, you've paid for weekend parking - I suspect many locals will be doing similar and having their own bed

If you look on the google maps satellite view and see the Lovell Tree Collectoin the car parks/entrance are the northern side of it at it's closest approach to the field, the campsites the southern with their entrance directly opposite - you can see a worn out patch in the grass

Also: Pretty sure you have to approach from Bomish Lane

Roots stage is indeed outside 

Alcohol is freely taken to the campsite pretty much, but not into the arena

Thank you so much.

No alcohol for me on the first 2 days at all. Unfortunately my body just can't take it any more. Looking forward to seeing things clearly this time.

Will have a few beers on the Sunday. Got a lot of pals coming for New Order so will indulge a little then.