Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

Just seen this posted on FB that the festival has had approval to up capacity from 14,999 to 24,999 with at cap of 21,000 for this year :o

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/huge-cheshire-festival-bluedot-set-16417491?fbclid=IwAR1y-CXxD_nU9VQMnzxNuYvt80WpfnSYciwyhVcSAJ2h7Jjj59Vh42BnZgM

This is awful news as I loved that it was a small festival plus they have always struggled with queue and logistics at times so can't understand such an increase???

If this is adding to camping where the hell are they putting them all? as all fields are pretty full already so can't see how they can add more people on site unless it's for day trippers only...

Will be interesting to see if they actually use some of the capacity this year, as can see Saturday day tickets being released myself ......

This is worse news than the wristbands as they only got the confirmation last week apparently :( 

Edited by shoptildrop

16 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Just seen this posted on FB that the festival has had approval to up capacity from 14,999 to 24,999 with at cap of 21,000 for this year :o

https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/huge-cheshire-festival-bluedot-set-16417491?fbclid=IwAR1y-CXxD_nU9VQMnzxNuYvt80WpfnSYciwyhVcSAJ2h7Jjj59Vh42BnZgM

This is awful news as I loved that it was a small festival plus they have always struggled with queue and logistics at times so can't understand such an increase???

If this is adding to camping where the hell are they putting them all? as all fields are pretty full already so can't see how they can add more people on site unless it's for day trippers only...

Will be interesting to see if they actually use some of the capacity this year, as can see Saturday day tickets being released myself ......

This is worse news than the wristbands as they only got the confirmation last week apparently :( 

Wouldn't be surprised if they do night time only tickets for the Saturday and Sunday v.soon. Keeps the crowd and atmosphere settled in the day and more punters and money for them at night. 

Can't see them dishing out 21000 wristbands though. Seems a big waste of resources. 

39 minutes ago, DDave said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they do night time only tickets for the Saturday and Sunday v.soon. Keeps the crowd and atmosphere settled in the day and more punters and money for them at night. 

Can't see them dishing out 21000 wristbands though. Seems a big waste of resources. 

Yeah I'm thinking day, forgot they split them up into day and evening... Kraftwerk day is sure to get more released as there is demand but they better move quick if that's the case as not that far away

Can't see pre loaded wristbands being popular with evening only attendees 

9 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Yeah I'm thinking day, forgot they split them up into day and evening... Kraftwerk day is sure to get more released as there is demand but they better move quick if that's the case as not that far away

Can't see pre loaded wristbands being popular with evening only attendees 

And then of course, if you allow the night people to pay on card, the weekenders will get pissed off. All hypothetical of course but I'd be stunned if they didn't release more tickets for at least the Saturday. 

Anyway, I've just booked up for Chic at LIMF for 22 quid for a family of four so that's me out anyway. Still keeping an eye out for the Sunday though. 

Edited by DDave

Increased capacity this year, anticipating longer queues so have come up with this cashless idea and selling it as answer to queues, which they have caused in the first place by increasing capacity, seems like they are anticipating queueing issues. Pure greed herd them in and then think that introducing a system like this will deal with the extra capacity. Has anyone tried to get a refund? 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:59 PM, shoptildrop said:

21,000 people is the same as a sold out gig at Manchester arena. So while it is, admittedly, a near 50% increase of people potentially on side (if it sells out), I think thats some important context. It's still going to be pretty intimate. 

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

21,000 people is the same as a sold out gig at Manchester arena. So while it is, admittedly, a near 50% increase of people potentially on side (if it sells out), I think thats some important context. It's still going to be pretty intimate. 

I know it's probably not that bad and apparently it's mainly staff/acts that are extra... but I remember Sunday last year which was at full capacity, it was nice to see it busy but don't like idea of double capacity being added.

It's just a personal preference that's all

Didn't go last year but went to the first two. There's load of room for an increased capacity, I hope they can get more punters to go. The last time I wen the back filed (Orbit?) was quite empty other than the stage itself and a few food stalls (used to have the Illuminarium in this fields before it was moved to the front, not too sure why it was moved?) There's plenty of space/potential if they  get a decent Orbit stage line up and other bits and pieces around that stage. They need to get people away from the Obelisk stage by having a popular second stage and decent things in that field. Seems quite a bit of space for additional camping in adjacent unused fields as well. 

Hope they do increase capacity, more punters should experience such a wonderful festival

I'm really looking forward to this festival. I've not been to Bluedot before and Kraftwerk is going to be a lifetimes treat for me as they are one of if not my earliest musical memory.

I'm travelling solo from Devon so if there's anyone else travelling from the South West with a spare seat I'd be grateful to lift-share. Likewise if anyone wants to meet up at the festival, is there a solo festival travellers Facebook group or anything?

I haven't got a Thursday ticket. What time does it all kick off on the Friday? If I'm travelling by train I probably wont be arriving until 4 or 5pm and I really want to make the most of the weekend.

I know they are ringing the changes, but I reckon this year could be the best so far!!

Do agree that 20K people is probably enough tho... I love the size it is now 

I can't quite seem to gauge what's going on with the Eno/RadMac broadcast? Can we actually watch it live at BD?

We have a map!!

308434519_Bluedot2019map.thumb.jpg.e8435902a10a47f0bbb8069cefcada3e.jpg

Interesting changes:

New Tranquility base which has mission control and contact stage re-homed with capacity tripled - hope you can access this from both main arena side and the star field side. Also, splits the late night crowds 

New Tent in Orbit area - deep space disco - should be interesting to see how they place this stage in the area

Boutique camping moving to where crew camping was (by the looks of it) from last year - where does crew go?

Separate Cinema or is this still part of contact stage in the evening? 

Luminarium moved

Wonder what this means for food and bar placements, plus the usual toilet concerns?? I can see Vodka bar moved from Orbit area to tranquility though... 

I wonder when we will get the food vendor list? As said before really hope Pitt on the road vendors are back this year :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 7:46 AM, JonXLR8 said:

I'm travelling solo from Devon so if there's anyone else travelling from the South West with a spare seat I'd be grateful to lift-share. Likewise if anyone wants to meet up at the festival, is there a solo festival travellers Facebook group or anything?

Not seen one but I’m going with acouple of disparate mate/s, come join us!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, leels said:

I'm going to DM people that said they are/thinking about going alone in a few days, about seeing if we want to plan this a bit,  very causually! hope that's ok? or it will get to Sat 20th,  ill be on site, and I will have done nothing about it...which is what usually happens.. 

Count me in!

Anybody keeping on top/p to date with the wristband business? Any joy on Twitter??

I guess the only way to not be tracked for data collection/ future advertising/PRIVACY FFS, is to not open a wristband account, and top up at one of two points on site? It looks like if you do that refunds aren't available, of course.

17 hours ago, paulisageek said:

Hey Bluedotters.  Anyone who's been before, where is the weekend parking in relation to the campsite?  i.e. is it feasible to leave stuff in the car or is it a five mile hike?

5-10 minute max walk I reckon. We left stuff in the car no problem. Managed to move the car closer a couple of times when fetching stuff. Ended up 3 spaces away from the entrance come home time ?

4 hours ago, DDave said:

5-10 minute max walk I reckon. We left stuff in the car no problem. Managed to move the car closer a couple of times when fetching stuff. Ended up 3 spaces away from the entrance come home time ?

Ah, brilliant.  Thanks for the reply ? 

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2019 at 10:47 PM, paulisageek said:

Hey Bluedotters.  Anyone who's been before, where is the weekend parking in relation to the campsite?  i.e. is it feasible to leave stuff in the car or is it a five mile hike?

You'll laugh at this shortly.

It's a very dainty little festival. We never even arranged meeting up properly in the larger group year - you can walk through all the possible spots so quickly most of the day, it's a rather nice change if you're used to the big ones.

15 hours ago, frostypaw said:

You'll laugh at this shortly.

It's a very dainty little festival. We never even arranged meeting up properly in the larger group year - you can walk through all the possible spots so quickly most of the day, it's a rather nice change if you're used to the big ones.

I know, I tried to work out the distance from far end of orbit to middle of campsite and I think the whole thing is pretty much the size of Paines ground at Glastonbury!!! My feet were so thankful

Only 2 weeks today!! :D

First time at Bluedot for us this year - looking forward to it. 

I’ve noticed there’s an incomplete clashfinder up - if this doesn’t get done does the Bluedot do the usual festival thing of having a £15-ish programme that you never read except for the Clashfinder?

Deperate to start planning out our weekend of music and weeping over any clashes.......

https://www.discoverthebluedot.com 

All weekend tickets SOLD OUT. 

(Just as I emptied a HP cartridge printing 15 pages of each day's activities for comparing and contrasting with another - also sold out - festival - GAH). 

Day tickets still available (apart from Saturday -Kraftwerk day -which sold out months ago)

Edited by wetwipes
website

They have an app which will have all the times on it, that'll be out soon I think then there can be a clashfinder for me to print and leave at home.

Worth having a good gap to do the Luminarium, it's lovely when you're not in a hurry but the queue can be mental. Keep an eye and dive for it