Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/connect?fbclid=IwAR2oegSY8v_zRcmnlf6pq4ed3NQ0UK0vUjL__R2e7z4xY-TRDpQutw-laPE

Not sure what I think about this as not a fan of pre-loaded systems and as above post says, they have to make sure infrastructure and connectivity are spot on to support it!! I just see queues a load points and frustrations trying to move money, as whilst you can share an account you can only load money onto one wristband which I don't like at all...

Plus, really hard to keep track of your spending especially when you've had a few beers.... then there is the fun of refunds mmmhhh <_<

2 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/connect?fbclid=IwAR2oegSY8v_zRcmnlf6pq4ed3NQ0UK0vUjL__R2e7z4xY-TRDpQutw-laPE

Not sure what I think about this as not a fan of pre-loaded systems and as above post says, they have to make sure infrastructure and connectivity are spot on to support it!! I just see queues a load points and frustrations trying to move money, as whilst you can share an account you can only load money onto one wristband which I don't like at all...

Plus, really hard to keep track of your spending especially when you've had a few beers.... then there is the fun of refunds mmmhhh <_<

Yep. I have a real problem with a system that asks for more than you're going to spend upfront, then asks you to reclaim the difference afterwards. Most people now offer contactless anyway, why do they need to be doing this? 

55 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

Yep. I have a real problem with a system that asks for more than you're going to spend upfront, then asks you to reclaim the difference afterwards. Most people now offer contactless anyway, why do they need to be doing this? 

So they can snoop on every single person’s spending habits so they can use your data to maximise revenue going forwards. There is no need for these systems now contactless exists. I must admit one of the reasons I chose Victorious over Rock En Seine this year is that RES operates a similar system. 

1 hour ago, DTichborne said:

Yeah and how many people might forget to claim back if under a £10 for example, that x 7K capacity and soon a nice little earner...

Bah don't like this at all, hopefully won't break down like every other festival that uses this system for the 1st time implementing it <_<

3 hours ago, John L said:

It also costs £1 to get your money out.

From reading the T&Cs it appears that if you top up £100 and get a “free” £10 as they say, if you have a balance left at the end that “free” tenner will not be refunded.

That's interesting as didn't see that bit reading t&cs mmmh

3 hours ago, John L said:

It also costs £1 to get your money out.

From reading the T&Cs it appears that if you top up £100 and get a “free” £10 as they say, if you have a balance left at the end that “free” tenner will not be refunded.

A quid isn’t much at the end of the day ? 

10 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

That's interesting as didn't see that bit reading t&cs mmmh

It’s on the webpage under ‘How it Works’

I don’t think these systems are particularly set up to fleece people - there aren’t any hidden charges and it’s essentially the same as withdrawing more cash than you expect to spend from the ATM. 

As above though, they are however designed to harvest your data which does seem a bit uncomfortable and at odds with some of the ethos of the festival. 

I'm pretty confident it will work fine though. The site always has good signal and the centre has a robust WiFi connection. Given where it's held it would be ironic to have connectivity problems :P 

1 minute ago, the wonderwhy said:

A quid isn’t much at the end of the day ? 

It’s on the webpage under ‘How it Works’

I don’t think these systems are particularly set up to fleece people - there aren’t any hidden charges and it’s essentially the same as withdrawing more cash than you expect to spend from the ATM. 

As above though, they are however designed to harvest your data which does seem a bit uncomfortable and at odds with some of the ethos of the festival. 

I'm pretty confident it will work fine though. The site always has good signal and the centre has a robust WiFi connection. Given where it's held it would be ironic to have connectivity problems :P 

Yeah I don't thinking they are aiming to fleece but it will be a inevitable consequence that benefits the festival when folk don't claim their lower balances back...

I also anticipate that casual attendees won't even realise you have to load your wristband... so reckon might be a few meltdowns on 1st day lol 

I asked if they are boosting the signal to compensate for the increased use an bluedot said they are. However, looking at the feedback on the makers of the system they haven't got a good track record apparently..

Fingers crossed it all works ok

I'm fine with the idea of cashless but I do not like the data aspect.

They will have the whole 4 day spend, for me and Mrs, tied to my email account and home address, together with my payment details. Plus the implication is that they will scan you on entry to certain events, so they know what you like and what you do not. Regular cashless is fine - your bank knows what you did and it is not divulged to a third party. In this case there is the possibility of using your data to target you with advertising. Now you can say 'I don't care who knows I bought a slice of pizza at 3 am' and you are free to take that view, but I find it intrusive.

Does anyone have any information on what are the terms and conditions associated with the use of this data?

Really NOT happy with this cashless system linked to THEIR wristband.

1) Why should they know MY entire spending history at their festival? That is entirely my business. I pay cash most of the time.
2) How can we prevent theft? Wristtband theft, swiping in a crowd, accidental or otherwise overcharging at an already overpriced event etc
3) My child wants an ice cream, I want to watch the band. Now I have to go with the child to the ice cream stall rather than give them a fiver and watch them from wherever I am sitting. Why?
4) My child wants to spend their pocket money on some tat. Giving them the independence to go and browse and buy their stuff. Nope.
5) (Hypothetically) It all breaks down at peak mealtime on the site. No-one can buy food or drink.... what now?
6) I have my money in my wallet allocated per day and I spend accordingly. "Magic wristband" stops me seeing how much I have spent and budgeting.
7) I see something really cool in a stand and want to buy it. But I haven't budgeted for it. I can't just pay on my credit/debit card. I have to go and find a load point, queue, add more money. Go find the stall again. Buy the thing. Probably won't bother. They miss out, I miss out.

This is all utter crap.

To put this on you only when the tickets arrive and all the planning is done is really, REALLY poor. I do not want this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I also hate this. No notice. Data collection. Untested tech. Budgeting cock ups. The lack of consultation. Any other business doing this I would avoid completely & this may well impact on my decision to ever go again (I make choices based on personal principles of autonomy, biggest being totally against the move towards cashless society- like loads of other people here).

13 hours ago, leels said:

I also hate this. No notice. Data collection. Untested tech. Budgeting cock ups. The lack of consultation. Any other business doing this I would avoid completely & this may well impact on my decision to ever go again (I make choices based on personal principles of autonomy, biggest being totally against the move towards cashless society- like loads of other people here).

I'm wondering what the legal position is. The default in law is that a trader cannot refuse to accept legal tender as payment for a debt; a debt is created when your order is accepted by the trader.

It's possibly (probably) changed via the T&C's of a private event on private land, but I suspect it being added at this late point makes it legally unenforceable - tho it'd be awkward to test that legality at the time.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:11 PM, Rebexus said:

Really NOT happy with this cashless system linked to THEIR wristband.

1) Why should they know MY entire spending history at their festival? That is entirely my business. I pay cash most of the time.
2) How can we prevent theft? Wristtband theft, swiping in a crowd, accidental or otherwise overcharging at an already overpriced event etc
3) My child wants an ice cream, I want to watch the band. Now I have to go with the child to the ice cream stall rather than give them a fiver and watch them from wherever I am sitting. Why?
4) My child wants to spend their pocket money on some tat. Giving them the independence to go and browse and buy their stuff. Nope.
5) (Hypothetically) It all breaks down at peak mealtime on the site. No-one can buy food or drink.... what now?
6) I have my money in my wallet allocated per day and I spend accordingly. "Magic wristband" stops me seeing how much I have spent and budgeting.
7) I see something really cool in a stand and want to buy it. But I haven't budgeted for it. I can't just pay on my credit/debit card. I have to go and find a load point, queue, add more money. Go find the stall again. Buy the thing. Probably won't bother. They miss out, I miss out.

This is all utter crap.

To put this on you only when the tickets arrive and all the planning is done is really, REALLY poor. I do not want this.

Me neither,  Let them know on Twitter @bluedotfestival

1 hour ago, Rebexus said:

Did do already but no decent response.

Same.  I've been on to them on facey as well.  Seems they are determined to force punters to put up with it, there is no legal requirement for them to allow other payment methods.  Our only option would appear to be to request a refund if we don't want to use their shitty system.