Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

On 5/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, worthyraver said:

Just noticed this on the bluedot FAQ:

"Are we able to bring food and drink/picnic?
We won’t be allowing food and drink into the arena as we have a vast selection of delectable food stalls catering for all dietary requirements."

I can't take my own food in really!!!

It would cost me more than the ticket fees to feed my 4 kids at festival prices for 4 days.

I could go back to the tent I guess but not really the point.

Any attempt at enforcing this and I will never go back.

As said above this is generally the norm at any festival (apart from Glasto or the ones that are not arena style) but security are normally okay with food for kids such as soft drinks and snacks, I wouldn't worry too much but also don't take full on picnic selection either

22 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Not having a lanyard was a right ballache last year. The babby scribbled all over the timetable then spilt a drink on it which made it completely unreadable.

Agree its pants with the lack of lanyard (especially given the price of the program).

Someone always does the clashfinder but it is usually closer to the time

On 5/16/2018 at 2:05 PM, shoptildrop said:

As said above this is generally the norm at any festival (apart from Glasto or the ones that are not arena style) but security are normally okay with food for kids such as soft drinks and snacks, I wouldn't worry too much but also don't take full on picnic selection either

exactly. Apply common sense and you will be fine.

the tents are really close to the arena so its not far to pop back if you need to. 5-10 mins each way max.

I got booze past the security a couple of times, but not every time. Basically as long as you are not being blatant you're alright.

Edited by Memory Man

On 5/21/2018 at 12:27 PM, Memory Man said:

exactly. Apply common sense and you will be fine.

the tents are really close to the arena so its not far to pop back if you need to. 5-10 mins each way max.

I got booze past the security a couple of times, but not every time. Basically as long as you are not being blatant you're alright.

So what's the crack with booze inside? I use a plastic stein for booze at the bars at Glastonbury, but did you take in cans or hipflasks if you're being subtle inside? What's the food like too? The website talks of variety; my wife is gluten/lactose intolerant so are there quite a few vendors of decent food? Thanks.

The Arboretum and the Roots stage are both outside the arena and are really nice areas to take picnics and chill with a beer. As mentioned the camp sites are not too far away so you can always pop back to your tent and eat. We always do this just to have a chill for an hour before returning to the arena late afternoon. Also really nice places to go after the main stage has finished, a very nice place

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday tickets came yesterday and have printed across the bottom 'DOES NOT INCLUDE CAMPING!'. Problem we have is that we booked the weekend camping when they first went on sale so it was impossible to book the weekend and Thursday at the same time. I am assuming the security won't be dicks about it if we turn up with weekend camping and Thursday tickets that say 'DOES NOT INCLUDE CAMPING!' but have emailed the organisers just in case. I am assuming I'm not the only one in the same boat so I'll pop their response on here when I hear back.

I think you'll be fine. everyone will be in the same boat.

we are arrving on friday but assume if you're paying for thursday then you get to stay over, provided you're also a weekend ticket holder. I think it means if you are coming for thursday only, then you cannot camp. same as the day tickets.

On the website it says this which is pretty clear

https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/info/opening-times

Gate Opening Times
Our campsites, car parks and box office open at 12PM on the Thursday for those with an extra Thursday ticket with entertainment from 6PM until 11pm. The arena will open from 5PM.

Our car parks open at 8AM and campsites from 9AM for weekend customers on Friday, and close 1PM on Monday.

Edited by Memory Man

1 hour ago, Memory Man said:

I think you'll be fine. everyone will be in the same boat.

we are arrving on friday but assume if you're paying for thursday then you get to stay over, provided you're also a weekend ticket holder. I think it means if you are coming for thursday only, then you cannot camp. same as the day tickets.

On the website it says this which is pretty clear

https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/info/opening-times

Gate Opening Times
Our campsites, car parks and box office open at 12PM on the Thursday for those with an extra Thursday ticket with entertainment from 6PM until 11pm. The arena will open from 5PM.

Our car parks open at 8AM and campsites from 9AM for weekend customers on Friday, and close 1PM on Monday.

Yeah, I hope so, cheers! Should be if common sense prevails HOWEVER, whilst most security at festivals are sound, individual ones can be tools. We were at Victorious and a security guard genuinely wouldn't let us take in a sealed packet of fruit for our 2 year old because, and I quote, 'One of the stalls sells bananas'.   

Still a bit surprised there is nothing else on the Thursday other than the Planet Earth orchestra. Wonder how many tickets they've flogged? Still worth it though not to have an extra day not swearing at spreadsheets!  

Edited by Flaminglippy

5 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Thursday tickets came yesterday and have printed across the bottom 'DOES NOT INCLUDE CAMPING!'. Problem we have is that we booked the weekend camping when they first went on sale so it was impossible to book the weekend and Thursday at the same time. I am assuming the security won't be dicks about it if we turn up with weekend camping and Thursday tickets that say 'DOES NOT INCLUDE CAMPING!' but have emailed the organisers just in case. I am assuming I'm not the only one in the same boat so I'll pop their response on here when I hear back.

It's fine, if you have bought weekend camping this covers all camping on the Thursday too - this is both standard camping, camper vans and boutique - it's on the info page somewhere (and was on FB post too) about the Thursday tickets so don't worry

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

It's fine, if you have bought weekend camping this covers all camping on the Thursday too - this is both standard camping, camper vans and boutique - it's on the info page somewhere (and was on FB post too) about the Thursday tickets so don't worry

Sweet! Cheers!  

1 hour ago, chestwig said:

So what's the deal with the soundsystems then??

Is it really that quiet? 

I'll be gutted if they are keeping it low for the kiddies... They should just get further back.

The sound systems are more than loud enough, the only one that I thought was quiet was the Roots stage bet 12-4am - you literally had to be right next to it to hear it properly over the conversations. As area is busy given it the latest thing open after the stages close at 2am

On 6/9/2018 at 4:41 PM, chestwig said:

So what's the deal with the soundsystems then??

Is it really that quiet? 

I'll be gutted if they are keeping it low for the kiddies... They should just get further back.

there is no issue here. as in the above post it was literally one tiny stage outside the arena after everything else has shut down. inside the arena, no problems at all

Edited by Memory Man

• 2 weeks later...

Some small additions mentioned here: https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/news/wayne-coyne-dottalk-+-roots-and-much-more-announced

Wayne Coyne DotTalk + Roots and much more announced.
Posted – 0000-00-00
We're over the moon to announce a meeting of great music and science minds as Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne will be In Conversation with Professor Tim O’ Brien, Associate Director Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, and avid explorer of exploding stars. 

The Flaming Lips headlined the first major music event at Jodrell Bank back in 2011. Wayne was given a personal tour of the Control Room before performing a landmark show beneath the iconic Lovell Telescope, declaring it was “the greatest place to be on Planet Earth”. During the tour, Tim and Wayne discussed our understanding of the Universe, the search for extra-terrestrial life, and the possibility of alternative dimensions. This coming together of the worlds of music, space exploration and creativity is what now lies at the heart of the bluedot festival.

These key themes and more will be explored at this exclusive In Conversation. This and the return of The Flaming Lips is set to be a momentous occasion in the bluedot cosmos. 

--

Announcing our Roots Stage line-up, produced in partnership with Arts Council England and Manchester's iconic Band on the Wall to bring together a vibrant programme of live music from around the world to the 2018 event. Over three days, the Roots stage will feature stunning music from South Asia, some of the most exciting emerging urban jazz talents, and a programme of afro-caribbean grooves - an eclectic mix of world music.

As part of a longterm ambition to diversify our music and culture programme, the partnership with Band on the Wall will see artists from Asia, Africa and the Caribbean perform at the festival's home at Jodrell Bank across the weekend. As a venue focused on promoting equality and diversity through music, and bringing leading artists from around the world to the stage through touring programmes and trailblazing creative projects, this collaboration is set to enhance our already abundant live music line-up.

--

More music has been added to the programme including the likes of dark’n’heavy dubstep from JP Huzzle; mind-blowing synth trio Meteor Musik; dreamy; blissed out indie from Night Flowers; alt-pop / trip-hop hybrid Gymnast; a Moog and beats masterclass from International Teachers of Pop; and improvisational keyboardist Tom Rogerson. More side-splitting comedy has also been added with Paul Currie, The Delightful Sausage, Kemah Bob, Foxdog Studios, Amy Gledhill, Neil Harris, Danny McLoughlin, Simon Lomas, Kate McCabe and Tom Taylor.

DotTalk additions include Universe Under Construction with Cosmology researcher Scott Kay and Anna Bonaldi presenting Bigger, Better, Faster, Further – Back to the Cosmic Origins with the SKA telescope. 

Futher culture talks have also been added including:

The Future Of The Past - How do leading poets and novelists draw on the past to make new poems and fictions? Why are they drawn to particular period and how do new ideas about memory and commemoration inform their work? With Geoff Ryman, Frances Leviston, Paul Batchelor and Beth Underdone on the panel.

The Future Of The Book - The book has been at the centre of our culture for millennia, but seems now to be under threat as never before. How does the book co-exist alongside our use of digital media, and in the experience of cutting edge innovative writers, how do social media, literary journals, and performance change the ways books are made and read now? With panellists Kayo Chingonyi, Honor Gavin and David Hartley.

Both are organised by The University of Manchester’s Centre for New Writing and will be chaired by John McAuliffe, poet, lecturer and editor of The Manchester Review.

We're looking forward to discovering the bluedot in less than a months time.

I have a live in field question so apologies in advance if this has been asked before...

Are they strict on the amount of space you can use? The reason I ask is that we have an awning, which is pretty big, and a sun canopy that isn't and I'm trying to decide which to take. For Kendal Calling they're relaxed about space so we take the awning but for Festival No.6 they have your pitches marked out and whoah betide you go over your line!! 

Thanks

Rob

4 hours ago, robskyd said:

I have a live in field question so apologies in advance if this has been asked before...

Are they strict on the amount of space you can use? The reason I ask is that we have an awning, which is pretty big, and a sun canopy that isn't and I'm trying to decide which to take. For Kendal Calling they're relaxed about space so we take the awning but for Festival No.6 they have your pitches marked out and whoah betide you go over your line!! 

Thanks

Rob

Hey Rob,

I was looking at live in vehicle stuff yesterday, there are some details here: https://www.discoverthebluedot.com/info/camping but I'm not sure how thoroughly they're enforced:

Live in vehicles require 1 ticket per vehicle, not per person.

• All live in vehicles will be in a separate field, this is the only field where festival ticket holders can sleep in vehicles.
  • Pitch size per vehicle is 6 x 4 meters
  • Unsuitable vehicles, including unconvered vans with live in vehicle tickets will not be permitted entry to this field.
  • We only allow converted vehicles in the fields if they have living accommodation with fitted sleeping facilities and either fitted cooking or washing facilities.
  • Vehicle tickets are only valid with a festival weekend ticket.
  • Live in vehicle tickets must be purchased in advance.
  • No tents are to be erected between vehicles.
  • No awnings are to be erected.
  • There is no re-entry for live in vehicles that leave the site during the event.
  • There is NO water/electricity hook up available.

I think this is going to become more commonplace...

The number of live-in vehicles being taken is growing i am sure... you can pick up a campervan for a few grand or a tatty caravan for a few hundred.. and festivals are struggling for the space.

I have had a caravan for some years (basically for festival use) and at Bearded Theory this year as i wanted to put up a small porch awning the steward said that i would have to take my car and park it in the regular car park (given that i had queued for 4 hours to get in, i am afraid i told him to do one in none too polite terms... apologies volunteer stewards everywhere..!)

At Glastonbury, we have been used to setting up a big old camp on the Tuesday... Last year we arrived with friends and had a caravan with full awning, a large (not VW)  camper with awning, 3 tents, windbreakers, large tables, seats,  bbq's etc... It would have been bigger but other friends with a larger camper didnt turn up until 2 hours later... But we are not alone in doing this... The Tuesday - Thursday at Glastonbury is as much part of the crack as the Friday - Sunday in my view.. (in fact i usually peak too early and am spent by Sunday..!)

If the Eavii (well Michael) continue the scrap with neighbouring landowners, they will either start squeeezing them in or charging a LOT more and you will have to walk a mile to the entrance...

.Still gutted we wont be going this year with it being during term time for us, and the wife being a teacher. We went the last two years ands it was fantastic, this year would also have been great, a cracking line up for me, and the kids are really getting into their music.  Fingers crossed it will be a week later next year so we come back to Bluedot. We will really miss it this year. Have fun all you lucky folk with tickets