Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 12:42 PM, Flaminglippy said:

We expecting any music on the Thursday night? The 'Blue Planet' thing will be good but think a whole 5 hours of watching penguins arsing about to violins might be a bit much... 

nope

first time they have even opened on a thursday, i think its just for this.

People who have paid for full weekend tickets (and not the extra for thursday) wouldnt be happy if there was music.

On 3/1/2018 at 10:41 PM, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah, Flaming Lips is really the only act on the other days that appeals. Meanwhile I'd be quite happy to see Chem Bros, Little Dragon, Slowdive, Orb, Acid Mothers Temple, Lost Horizons and more.

Only thing I'm worried about is what to do when the night ends :(

stuff goes on till about 2am on the Friday and Saturday nights and about 1am on the sunday.

There aren't many options at the end for getting back unless you are camping or leave just after the chems finish. but there won't be much on after they are done I don't think. just a few bits in the small tents

3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

stuff goes on till about 2am on the Friday and Saturday nights and about 1am on the sunday.

There aren't many options at the end for getting back unless you are camping or leave just after the chems finish. but there won't be much on after they are done I don't think. just a few bits in the small tents

Late night stuff was 2am in the main arena, but there was also music going on til 4am at the Roots stage on Fri/Sat (Sun 2am).. 

19 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

Late night stuff was 2am in the main arena, but there was also music going on til 4am at the Roots stage on Fri/Sat (Sun 2am).. 

indeed, I think the volume was ridiculously low and therefore pointless, although my hazy recollections may be slightly wrong.

After a great time last year, I was already decided this festival was a no-brainer, even before the acts were announced. And then they go and announce some of my favourite musicians of recent years (Gary Numan, Booka Shade, Public Service Broadcasting? All incredible live acts in their own right)... I couldn't be more excited!

However, I had no idea who Future Islands were, until I discovered this... and nearly fell off my chair in the process. What a unique front-man!

Edited by belewadobis

29 minutes ago, belewadobis said:

After a great time last year, I was already decided this festival was a no-brainer, even before the acts were announced. And then they go and announce some of my favourite musicians of recent years (Gary Numan, Booka Shade, Public Service Broadcasting? All incredible live acts in their own right)... I couldn't be more excited!

However, I had no idea who Future Islands were, until I discovered this... and nearly fell off my chair in the process. What a unique front-man!

Its an amazing performance. Saw an interview with 'Mystery Jets' where they said they started off every day of the recording session of their last album by watching this vid and became mildly obsessed with it  

Edited by Flaminglippy

2 hours ago, Memory Man said:

indeed, I think the volume was ridiculously low and therefore pointless, although my hazy recollections may be slightly wrong.

Yeah I remember that on the Friday that we went there, you practically had to be in front of the stage to hear the music properly over the chatting - it was very low volume!!

9 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Its an amazing performance. Saw an interview with 'Mystery Jets' where they said they started off every day of the recording session of their last album by watching this vid and became mildly obsessed with it  

It has the same effect on me, Lippy. I try to watch it once a day. I don't know why.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, belewadobis said:

It has the same effect on me, Lippy. I try to watch it once a day. I don't know why.

Yeah...its addictive! My other half started off coming into the living room saying 'Oh my God you're not watching this bloody thing again!' to 'Can you put that video on again?' within a couple of days. Imagine it could be one of them sets you will remember for a long, long time     

Plus its the day after the Flaming Lips who are never anything less than amazing live...and Chems on the Sunday to end it...whats not to love!? 

1 minute ago, Flaminglippy said:

Yeah...its addictive! My other half started off coming into the living room saying 'Oh my God you're not watching this bloody thing again!' to 'Can you put that video on again?' within a couple of days. Imagine it could be one of them sets you will remember for a long, long time     

Plus its the day after the Flaming Lips who are never anything less than amazing live...and Chems on the Sunday to end it...whats not to love!? 

I haven't yet clicked with the Lips, but I defer to your experience! Should be a great festival. Hope the weather is good!

Just noticed this on the bluedot FAQ:

"Are we able to bring food and drink/picnic?
We won’t be allowing food and drink into the arena as we have a vast selection of delectable food stalls catering for all dietary requirements."

I can't take my own food in really!!!

It would cost me more than the ticket fees to feed my 4 kids at festival prices for 4 days.

I could go back to the tent I guess but not really the point.

Any attempt at enforcing this and I will never go back.

1 hour ago, worthyraver said:

We won’t be allowing food and drink into the arena as we have a vast selection of delectable food stalls catering for all dietary requirements."

It would cost me more than the ticket fees to feed my 4 kids at festival prices for 4 days.

It's a pretty common occurrence, sadly. If you've regularly taken food (or drink) past security at festivals before then I think you can take some hope from that!

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, Memory Man said:

there will be im sure

stage times were uploaded to the app a couple of days before i think

Not having a lanyard was a right ballache last year. The babby scribbled all over the timetable then spilt a drink on it which made it completely unreadable.

2 hours ago, worthyraver said:

We found the security took a fairly relaxed approach to taking food in last year

You're definitely right about cost for kids though...its not even like the stalls do kids portions.