Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

45 minutes ago, James96 said:

Hmm not sold on Future Islands as headliners when the festival costs £160. I thought previous years were better personally.

Similar feelings tbh. Seen all 3 of the headliners in the last 18 months which doesn't help.

Undercard is decent for the Saturday but weak on the other days. With a few decent additions it'll probably look a lot better but it's nothing to write home about for me so far.

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

I’m actually quite pleased with that initial lineup, can’t wait to see Flaming Lips in that setting :)

Saw them there as a one off gig about 5 or 6 years ago (think it might have been the seed for Bluedot) and it was immense. Always amazing live but a setting like that makes it that little bit more special.

Happy days!

3 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Saw them there as a one off gig about 5 or 6 years ago (think it might have been the seed for Bluedot) and it was immense. Always amazing live but a setting like that makes it that little bit more special.

Happy days!

Yeah remember the Transmission gigs as saw New Order there.... so when Bluedot was born a few years ago was definitely excited as the venue is amazing

27 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

One of my main mans wants me to come to this. £160 seems a lot for Hookworms and Nadine Shah and pure dad bands.

It seems so overpriced. They bumped the price of this festival up massively, the first one was only in 2016 and there hasn't been a huge bump in quality.

10 minutes ago, James96 said:

It seems so overpriced. They bumped the price of this festival up massively, the first one was only in 2016 and there hasn't been a huge bump in quality.

I think it's common practice to run the first year of a festival at a loss to get people hooked and coming back for the next one. Also a whole other day added on does warrant some price increase.

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I think it's common practice to run the first year of a festival at a loss to get people hooked and coming back for the next one. Also a whole other day added on does warrant some price increase.

You gotta pay an extra 30 quid for that extra day though ;)

the thing is it is marketed as a music festival at face value but there is a lot more to see and do than just the music, like the science talks, comedy and various other exhibits and that is where a fair bit of the money must go.

it is a really lovely site and a visitor / tourist attraction outside of festival time so also imagine some of the funds are to actually rent the grounds as well as staff it all etc.

back to the music, the headliners are fairly big considering it is not really a very large event. probably 10k cap that doesnt sell out.

as i said before if you want a deal pick up a 2nd hand ticket in early-mid July and you'll get one for 100-120 quid. if you're sensible you can smuggle booze in no problem too.

9 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

It is basically pure dad bands tho. Not that that's a bad thing - it is half who its aimed at afterall 

I'll be there in my cardy and slippers...bobbing my pipe along to 'Do You Realize!?'

Can sort of see the point some people are making about the cost...but its a 5K daily capacity (based on what it says on efestivals) so for a festival that small to get bands the size of Flaming Lips and Chemical Brothers you're gonna have to pay more...if you have a small, cheap festival you're going to get small, cheap bands.  

Personally I'd rather pay a bit extra for a smaller, friendly festival and still have decent bands, rather than pay less for a bigger festival, especially now we've got the babby.

Hi all

Anyone know if you can get a taxi outside back to Manchester late Sunday night/Monday?

Last coach to Manchester is midnight and I want to stay later and know no other way back to the city. 

I’ll be buying a day ticket for Sunday obviously and won’t be camping 

Cheers

4 hours ago, misterM said:

Hi all

Anyone know if you can get a taxi outside back to Manchester late Sunday night/Monday?

Last coach to Manchester is midnight and I want to stay later and know no other way back to the city. 

I’ll be buying a day ticket for Sunday obviously and won’t be camping 

Cheers

We did this last year on the Saturday so I would have thought it'll be fine on Sunday - they have a big taxi rank outside. Make sure you book in advance. 

Its not cheap, btw :P 

• 2 weeks later...

everything shuts down about 2am on Friday/Sat and it all ends at at 1am on the sunday. Main stage finishes at 11pm. There is nothing else really of note outside the arena late at night in my experience. 

to be honest if you left at midnight on the sunday you wouldn't be missing hardly anything.  Weatherall did close it last year which was pretty ace, but for the sake of an hour you may not want to inconvenience yourself. there really will be no reason to be there after 1am on sunday.

we got a few hours kip and drove out at like 6/7am on monday morning, it was the best exit of a festival i've ever had. cos of the family thing loads and loads leave on sunday night.

Edited by Memory Man

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked tickets for this, a few questions for the Bluedot kru.

Can anyone tell me what the parking situation is like? Is the car park miles away from the site? I got the impression that I'll be lugging gear down country roads from chatting to somone?

Also, any idea what night UNKLE are on? Ive seen them advertised on the Thursday night but isnt that only the Blue Planet night?

Also, other than Booka Shade, is there any other house or techno on? Other than the headliners, I dont really know anyone. I know its not that kind of event but any excuse to ditch the family and go raving

9 hours ago, Rudiger said:

Just booked tickets for this, a few questions for the Bluedot kru.

Can anyone tell me what the parking situation is like? Is the car park miles away from the site? I got the impression that I'll be lugging gear down country roads from chatting to somone?

Also, any idea what night UNKLE are on? Ive seen them advertised on the Thursday night but isnt that only the Blue Planet night?

Also, other than Booka Shade, is there any other house or techno on? Other than the headliners, I dont really know anyone. I know its not that kind of event but any excuse to ditch the family and go raving

Car park is right next to the site and was well organised last year. The chat you were having was probably from the year before when  the parking was flooded and horrendously managed. They did sort it out last year and it is as good as it gets for parking I thought. It's probably a ten to fifteen minute walk to the campsites.  We found that although we were parked at the farthest end of the car park at the start we could move the car closer to the entrance as the weekend progressed, ( if we were nipping to the car to charge mobiles etc) Ended up 4 spaces from the entrance which was great when packing up and going home. 

In terms of house and techno. The main tent had Soulwax, Andrew Weatherall and Vitalic late on last year. Anticipate much of the same this year as well.