Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

A friend of a friend can't make this so I've selflessly offered to take her ticket off her, though I'm working in Edinburgh tonight and again on Monday, so I'll just be there for the Saturday. Sadly too late to get a coach, so I'll have to brave the road from Goostrey station, against all advice. 

I've been promised that the person selling the ticket has some sort of "glamping" option bought so I hopefully won't have to squeeze a tent in somewhere 24 hours after everyone else has arrived. We'll see anyway! 

5 hours ago, renrutbor said:

The walk from Goostrey is easy enough, it doesn't have a footpath the whole day which I guess is why they advise people not to do it but it was a nice scenic walk when I went to Flaming Lips a few years ago. Enjoy all, quite excited now!

Thanks! I have vague memories of the road (and lack of footpath) from my youth. I'll brave it, I'll make sure I'm sensible. 

It's a little annoying that they're so secretive about the stage times, but I suppose their business model relies on selling programmes. The upside is without meticulous planning I'm more likely to discover something new.

On the long drive up - discovered an excellent Spotify playlist to get me in the mood. Every single band is fantastic so far! 

Just discovered Rhain - Joanna newsome / Regina / Kate bush vibe.. 

Plus Lucid dream , lion and the wolf. I like trains - this is gonna be worse than Glastonbury for clashes at this rate!

So far so good at this festival. ...just ensure you leave with plenty of time to spare as entry in takes a little while

Underworld were friggin awesome and the beer selection is ace!!

Programmes with the time cost £10 but the actual schedule is pinned up in some of the bars, definitely at the left end of real ale tent if need to know 

1 hour ago, shoptildrop said:

So far so good at this festival. ...just ensure you leave with plenty of time to spare as entry in takes a little while

Underworld were friggin awesome and the beer selection is ace!!

Programmes with the time cost £10 but the actual schedule is pinned up in some of the bars, definitely at the left end of real ale tent if need to know 

So that's why the set times haven't been released online, £10 is scandalous!

Looking at going on Sunday

Can anyone who's going today please report on the car parking situation? I believe they've had to close a car park and operate a park and ride service due to the rain. If it's a ballache getting there and back with 2 little uns i'll not bother.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it seems that the parking has been a bit farcical. I'm glad I'm planning on walking now! Can't have been cheap to arrange the park and ride at such short notice. 

On the train down from Edinburgh. Looking forward to the beers in particular! 

Someone's posted today's running order on twitter, I'll try and attach. 

image.png

Loved PSB and Underworld. PSB set was.a good mixture of old and new, not just the current album. A greatest hits set if that's possible. Also enjoyed IMC, my eldest was chuffed to bits to see Brian Cox, although it nearly all went over his head, not surprising though

I didn't think the traffic was that bad on Friday night. I was parked about as far from the road as possible and I was out in about 30 minutes. Saying that I didn't  see a single marshal until I actually got to the road and it would have helped.

I was surprised by the number of people leaving. I presumed day-tickets would have been the minority,

IMK was fun, especially as I quite like a bit of cosmology. Underworld were great, but PSB was just amazing. Really enjoyed them and it felt like more than 45 minutes, in a good way.

Nice little festival. I'll be back next year for the whole weekend.

Seems like they had some big problems with the park and ride last night. Nowhere near enough buses, and people were advised to walk on the unlit road with no footpath (I walked it today and it's dangerous even in the daytime!). And today the park and ride bus didn't turn up. 

Still, I had a lot of fun. Even though I did drink slightly too much perhaps... 

5 minutes ago, Jack Bynoe said:

Seems like they had some big problems with the park and ride last night. Nowhere near enough buses, and people were advised to walk on the unlit road with no footpath (I walked it today and it's dangerous even in the daytime!). And today the park and ride bus didn't turn up. 

Still, I had a lot of fun. Even though I did drink slightly too much perhaps... 

Didn't go today for this one reason. Everything else seemed positive from peoples feedback on twitter etc but I wasn't prepared to do that much pissing about with a 2 year old girl in tow. 

Hopefully they'll sort it out for next year.

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Damn if I'd have known those Saturday stage times in advance I'd have definitely gone along.

Probably the second biggest gripe from Social media was the lack of set times online. It's unforgivable in this day and age that a festival would not give them out beforehand and expect people to fork out a tenner(!) for a programme for the set times on the day.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

13 hours ago, dirty_dog said:

how fuckin bad was Charlotte Church?

None bad, you swine.

Just got home and about to go to sleep. Just checking in to report that I loved it, the festival is great, the organisers have hit a home run. Loads of highlights, mainly FloPo, Lanterns On The Lake, DJ Shadow, 65dos, Caribou and British Sea Power. Vegan Indian food place to the left on the main stage has stolen my heart. Real ale tent at £4.50 a pint is a winner, even though I'm not that in to beer.