Blue Dot Festival

eastynh

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Oh I didn't actually know that, to be honest. Is Kendal Calling any good? I've never been but heard good things.

They've done a few things at Jodrell Bank. The Flaming Lips gig there a few years ago was incredible. Yeah, Kendal is brilliant. Well worth a punt next year if you get the chance. Great setting for a festival. 

17 hours ago, Adster said:

You'd hope with the people behind Kendal Calling running it, it'll be relatively well planned for a new festival.  I'm just itching for more details on the stage times.

yeah, I agree. Not are they only experienced festival organisers, they're experienced with that site, and are thought well-enough by Jodrell Bank itself for them to form a partnership to run this festival.

I just hope their good planning can stretch as far as finding space for one more campervan - mine - because so far they've allocated me some tickets but can't find a spot for my van. I'm keeping my fingers crossed cos this is the festival I'm most looking forwards to this summer as it's a while since I've taken in a new one.

12 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I just hope their good planning can stretch as far as finding space for one more campervan - mine - because so far they've allocated me some tickets but can't find a spot for my van. I'm keeping my fingers crossed cos this is the festival I'm most looking forwards to this summer as it's a while since I've taken in a new one.

There's some off-site

camping, don't know if it's convenient or any good.

I am really looking forward to Bluedot, have been since the day it was announced. Taking the wife and kids to it (7 and 10)  its going to be quite different to the mud and beer fest of a couple of weeks ago

Ace line up for me, great science and space stuff going on and looks quite kids orientated, I cant think of a better festival to see how the wife and kids find their first proper weekend festival

I am even going to treat the missus to one of those weekend club class tickets for £30 to keep her sweet

I am a bit surprised they haven't fully sold out yet thought, anyone know what the capacity is?

According to the efests listing, capacity is 5000.  I don't know whether that's total or just weekend tickets.  They seem to be pushing the day tickets quite a lot at the moment (including under 15s going free on the Sunday, in case that's of any use to anyone) so I guess there's some spare capacity.

I'm really excited about it too.  It's not just the line up and science stuff, which by themselves are great, there is also something special for me in going to the first one.

On 06/07/2016 at 8:07 AM, eFestivals said:

sorted - in crew. :)

Can't wait. :D

48 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Dare I say it: the weather is looking pretty promising...

It does, doesn't it?   Adding to the levels of excitement too but after the roller coaster that was the run up to Glastonbury I'm refusing to believe that it'll be anything other than mud and rain.  (Shorts and sun cream will find their way into my packing though because I am wrong about virtually everything.)

Am I missing it, or are we still waiting for set times/running order?  Trying to plan for when to get there - we only live 30 odd miles away so I could save myself a days holiday by leaving here on Friday after work and my head says that's the right thing to do.  My heart, however, is afraid of missing anything and really wants to explore at the first possible opportunity.  

Wellies and rain coat will be packed regardless, of course! ;)

No stage times yet that that I can see. My ticket says doors don't open til 2 pm though so it can't start that early on the Friday. You could at least work a half day.

There's a clashfinder currently at "print if you have to" level but not sure where they're getting their info... as far as I can tell there are less stages open on the Friday. So less to miss!

You can have a pretty good guess at the running order and stages (not times) by looking at the line up page

So Friday appears to be Lovell Stage,, with

Underworld

PSB

Geaorge Fitzgerald 

infinite Monkey Stage

Worriedaboutsatan

the Nebula also appears to have a full line up on Friday

Just noticed that we got an email earlier this afternoon with more details.  For those who, like me, were wondering what time to arrive - car parks open at 1, campsite at 2 and we can get access to the arena at 5.  So doesn't look like there will be anything of note on until 5.  Half day at work it is then (for me at least).   

from the revision comments on the clashfinder :)

Running Order for Lovell and Orbit CONFIRMED (however timings are still TBA.) Also news of a special guest at, some point on, some day (probably Orbit on Saturday [based on my guess and Instagram post])

Interesting if true about a special guest.

Theres also a map on twitter (and yes i did "miss it", I still cant see it anywhere on the site now!)

Edited by Adster
added twitter link
  • Upvote 1

I have always thought Tim Peake would make an appearance somewhere. not sure what hes upto at the moment, would seem a great place for him to do a speech or Q&A in suck a kids friendly place. Mw eldest would be awe struck, hes desparate to get Brian Cox's autograph as it is

Really looking forward to this. Hope Tim Peake makes an appearance.

Slightly disappointed that no official set times for the bands yet. A twitter message from them yesterday appears to suggest these won't be available until the actual day, which, if true, seems a bit poor. We are considering one of Aiden Byrnes fancy meals, but don't want to miss bands we really want to see.

Advice from a mate who has been to a gig at Jodrell Bank is that it gets pretty chilly at nights as the site is at the top of a hill.

Edited by axel75
  • Upvote 1

I too would like the times before we get there but that's only cos I like to plan my festivals obsessively! Looking at the likely line-up I'd say I'm not facing any major clashes :)

How much is the restaurant thing if you don't mind me asking? Probably won't go for it but sounds interesting. 

Today I dusted off the old tent and rucksack and started accumulating some packing gear :) I bloody love festival season.

I looked at the restaurant thing a while ago - I'm a big foody, love cooking and have always wanted to try some of AO'B's food.  I think the proper dinner type thing was £75. We decided that we wouldn't go for it because it seemed a bit pricey even for posh festival food and we didn't know what our chosen time would clash with. Mr Mandolin decided to treat me to the Sunday lunch thing (£40!!!) on the basis that it's probably the only chance we'll get to try his food given his restaurant prices and there will probably not be anything unmissable at 12 on Sunday.  And I really want to see if his Yorkshire puds are as good as mine.

I would like the times before I get there too.  Is there any good reason that anyone can think of that means they couldn't let us know the times beforehand?  If clash finder is right, we have a nasty clash that I'd like to get my head around - though completely recognise the first-world-problemness of that.  Failing advance notice, we'll make a last minute decision and - chances are - it'll work out just grand.  It would stop me from having the pleasure of obsessively thinking it about though -  sorted the packing when I washed the Glasto stuff so am feeling at a bit of a loose end and need something to keep my mind off real world stuff like work.