JamieKThomas

Grime/Hip Hop

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I'd like that also, but I'd be equally happy with Dessa by herself.

Oh yeah, that'd be great. Count me in on the Doomtree/Dessa solo set hype.

• Upvote 1

I saw The Roots some years ago, and they were amazing.

I would love to see a return of Jurassic5 - I missed the year they played and the footage I saw on TV looked great "Improvise" being a great example.

Fingers crossed

11 minutes ago, fabio101 said:

I saw The Roots some years ago, and they were amazing.

I would love to see a return of Jurassic5 - I missed the year they played and the footage I saw on TV looked great "Improvise" being a great example.

Fingers crossed

J5 at the West Holts was the busiest I've ever seen that field. Was great stuff.

I'd love them to go back to the 'hip-hop legends' slot that's seen Wu Tang, Snoop, De La Soul etc on the Pyramid over recent years. There wasn't one this year, but I hope it's something they return to.

Late to the hype on these boys but Earthgang have been a great discovery to me so far this year. Chi-town sound from Atlanta, somehow. Three EP's released over the past 18 months that are real easy to listen to, plus years of material before that too. Think they were recently signed to J Cole's imprint (stick with me, don't close the tab) and are releasing an album later this year which should be big. UK tour goes on sale tomorrow as well.

Edited by dentalplan

We still here lol. That grim bloke was even in eastenders lol 

Posted in the new music thread but figured it might get noticed more here by people interested. The new Saba album Care For Me is incredible. Best rap release I've heard this year by far.

Edited by FloorFiller

Cheers for that. I had seen his album getting good reviews but hadn't bothered because I had him confused with someone else that I wasn't too keen on. I'll check it out now.

Edited by dentalplan

Dunno if anyone's checked out the latest Dr Octagon album but it's brill. Great feature from Paul Banks on this song and there's a great Deltron 3030 appearance elsewhere as well, worth a go.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Dunno if anyone's checked out the latest Dr Octagon album but it's brill. Great feature from Paul Banks on this song and there's a great Deltron 3030 appearance elsewhere as well, worth a go.

Yep I'm liking the record quite a lot. I think this, Czarface/DOOM and PRhyme were all esteemed hip hop collaborations that were kind of unfairly overlooked this last month.

Got to say though, I don't dig Paul Banks on that track. As much as I love Interpol and recognise that the man is living out his dreams, I'm not crazy about his forays into the hip hop world.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yep I'm liking the record quite a lot. I think this, Czarface/DOOM and PRhyme were all esteemed hip hop collaborations that were kind of unfairly overlooked this last month.

Got to say though, I don't dig Paul Banks on that track. As much as I love Interpol and recognise that the man is living out his dreams, I'm not crazy about his forays into the hip hop world.

The Czarface/DOOM one didn't grab me to be fair but I've still got a saved to go back to over time. Love DOOM, still not entirely sure on Czarface, some of the overly pop culture references sounded odd on the first couple of listens.

I like him every now and then, and love Interpol, but I never go back to any of the Banks and Steelz stuff though (except maybe the hot ones interview)

Romesh Ranganathan does a decent podcast called hip hop saved my life, which features a different celebrity unsurprisingly talking about hip hop and their life. He gets some decent people on and it usually throws up decent recommendations, he recommends a record an episode normally, the doom/czarface one being recent.

Now there's drill.... Still sounds shite to me but some of you Lovely people might be interested in it.. 

19 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Documentary on Sky Arts - Generation Grime, quite a good historical look.

On another note, into Octavian currently 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7eyvAMOpA

Was at Octavian's show in Peckham a couple of weeks back, it was really good, Hands has been on repeat for a while now. 

Got an email off Afropunk wanting to sell me tickets to see August Greene (Common, Richard Glasper, Karriem Riggins), Akala and Laura Mvula at Brixton for a discount price of about £12. Not one for me but here’s the link if anyone else is interested. Says that it’s that price for only the next 48 hours.