Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

Keen on Anderson Paak returning, only caught the first few songs of his west holts set before sprinting over to catch radiohead. Amazing musician live, he’s definitely earnt a higher slot if he returns. 

Also agree with Q-tip needing to return. That headline slot he did a few years back was incredible (despite the scouser in front of me threatening to break the nose of anyone behind him that was dancing). Such a shame That Tribe didn’t get a chance at playing.

Reallly hoping for at least one of these: Busta Rhymes, Kid Cudi,  Missy Elliot, Childish Gambino or OutKast. 

Loved  both WH and pyramid sets from Run the Jewels but the music is much better suited to a late night headline slot somewhere, maybe John Peel or West Holts. The dream would be a 4.am Hell stage show.

5 hours ago, ConorC said:

Last night I joined what seems to be a very exclusive club of people who've seen Lauryn Hill actually put on a great show.

45 minutes late and didn't finish until 11.30 but still, superb stuff. Girl can sing.

I'm off to see her on Monday at the o2, assume a lot of the musical arrangements were all over the shop?

1 minute ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I'm off to see her on Monday at the o2, assume a lot of the musical arrangements were all over the shop?

They were a bit, though nothing like as crazy different as some accounts I've heard. Vocals slightly changed but it just brought the songs to life more if anything, I thought.

I've spoke to people who've told me that they've seen her and the arrangements she was using made the songs virtually unrecognisable from the originals. Last night wasn't anything like that really.

According to my setlist.fm that was my 99th gig of the year and I'd put it straight in the top 3. Arguably number 1.

5 minutes ago, ConorC said:

They were a bit, though nothing like as crazy different as some accounts I've heard. Vocals slightly changed but it just brought the songs to life more if anything, I thought.

I've spoke to people who've told me that they've seen her and the arrangements she was using made the songs virtually unrecognisable from the originals. Last night wasn't anything like that really.

According to my setlist.fm that was my 99th gig of the year and I'd put it straight in the top 3. Arguably number 1.

Impressive mate ? 

22 hours ago, dentalplan said:

To be honest, even UK rappers like Giggs and - at one time - Wiley aren't jumping at the chance to play Glastonbury for lower pay so it probably won't carry over to American or Canadian rappers either.

Giggs popped up on stage for Kano's late night spot at Sonic in '16 so I'm sure he will pop up on the lineup too some day.

Drake is at (surely?!) his commercial peak, so I've made peace with him not playing any time soon. Some mad cameo seems more likely for the forseeable.

Edited by Nduja

On 11/27/2018 at 4:21 PM, ConorC said:

Lauryn Hill mixed it up a lot when I saw her a few years back at Brooklyn Bowl in the O2. Three hour wait, but within five minutes she'd won everybody over. It was incredible. 

Also, re great live acts in hip hop I'd argue Kanye (though Glasto was a dud for him imo) and Jay Z, and especially Watch The Throne. Ended up going to WTT three times over the month tour. It just fully blew me away more than anything I'd experienced before.

I can think of a lot of great hip hop shows I've seen, but those are the only ones I've seen multiple times that had a high hit rate. I've seen knockout shows by people like Outkast, Nas, Deltron 3030, Pusha T and others but only once so I wouldn't call them great live acts, although that list did remind me of Danny Brown who I have seen a lot of times and he's been great on each occasion.

Edit: forgot Pharoahe Monch. I've provably forgot quite a few tbh. 

Edited by OffshoreToon

Slept on 6lack for a good ol' while now but East Atlanta Love Letter is just gorgeous. Creeping up and up the EOY list.

Also got a lot of time for the Curren$y Freddie Gibbs album. Year after year The Alchemist keeps bringing the heat. And a rap release that is not less than 30 minutes, or longer than 60. In 2018!

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2018 at 8:41 AM, Odessa said:

Yeah RTJ are comfortably the best hip-hop act I've seen. 

Their set at Glastonbury in 2017 was my favourite set of the whole weekend - and that was with it being mid afternoon, and me sober(ish).

Not in the same league currently I suppose, but still going to say that J5 are the best live HH act I've seen - and amongst the best in any genre.  Everyone holds their space, the show is tight, and they take the crowd with them.  Also, one of my favourite live moments was seeing Akil doing one of his solo tunes during their set, and spotting Chali 2na tucked away offstage doing hype duties - that he was happy to be invisible was a great demonstration of the respect they have for each other and the general lack of ego. 

And they came to front of house at the end of the show and were there for more than half an hour just shaking hands and chatting, which was pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Got lost in a thread I put it in the other day, but Chance The Rapper has to be in the running for a Glasto slot surely?

Lovebox have listed him but not as an exclusive (whereas they have done with Brockhampton) - so where else could he go?

Final APE headliner? Missing name at Parklife (unlikely as the missing name isn’t a headliner)?

R&L have already announced all of their big slots haven’t they?

Not seeing where else he could go. Unless Lovebox just decided not to announce him as an exclusive, which would be weird considering how explicit they are with Brockhampton being one.

Maybe he’s doing his own shows, which again I don’t think would make sense as Lovebox could still list him as a festival exclusive.

Edited by ConorC

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

acts of that size don't necessarily get signed as exclusive. 

It's as much about what the festival wants to pay out for a booking as it might be about other shows the act has lined up.

Just because the act isn't labelled as exclusive doesn't get to mean the act has other shows booked in.

Fair enough. Never seen an example of that myself (announce one exclusive as exclusive but not mentioning the headliner as being one), seems odd.

Edited by ConorC

16 minutes ago, ConorC said:

Fair enough. Never seen an example of that myself (announce one exclusive as exclusive but not mentioning the headliner as being one), seems odd.

if they've not booked an act on an exclusive basis they won't be claiming an exclusive.

The act then might book in further shows, or he might not.

I happened to be stood alongside Emily Eavis years ago when she took a call from Jay-Z's people, who were asking if it was OK if he booked in further shows around Glastonbury. I'm guessing they were asking out of politeness &/or double-checking, because there would have been nothing about 'exclusive' in their agreement with Glastonbury (Glasto doesn't do that).

18 hours ago, ConorC said:

Got lost in a thread I put it in the other day, but Chance The Rapper has to be in the running for a Glasto slot surely?

Lovebox have listed him but not as an exclusive (whereas they have done with Brockhampton) - so where else could he go?

Final APE headliner? Missing name at Parklife (unlikely as the missing name isn’t a headliner)?

R&L have already announced all of their big slots haven’t they?

Not seeing where else he could go. Unless Lovebox just decided not to announce him as an exclusive, which would be weird considering how explicit they are with Brockhampton being one.

Maybe he’s doing his own shows, which again I don’t think would make sense as Lovebox could still list him as a festival exclusive.

I like your thinking here Conor! makes perfect sense to me. Would 100% be watching Chance if he was on the line up. (willing to happily ignore efests logic)

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

if they've not booked an act on an exclusive basis they won't be claiming an exclusive.

The act then might book in further shows, or he might not.

I happened to be stood alongside Emily Eavis years ago when she took a call from Jay-Z's people, who were asking if it was OK if he booked in further shows around Glastonbury. I'm guessing they were asking out of politeness &/or double-checking, because there would have been nothing about 'exclusive' in their agreement with Glastonbury (Glasto doesn't do that).

So why the effort to book Brockhampton on an exclusive basis but not Chance? Too expensive?