Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Isn't a proper album, is it? He said he's taken a break from recording his album to do this, but I haven't really read enough about it to know the whole deal.

It's leaked, anyway, if anyone wants to listen now without waiting til tomorrow. Reaction I've read seems pretty mixed.

Oh really? Had a feeling it might be something like that but I don't think it was mentioned in the article. Won't get my hopes up too much then.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Oh really? Had a feeling it might be something like that but I don't think it was mentioned in the article. Won't get my hopes up too much then.

Yeah it didn't mention anything about it in the article which I found strange because they first reported on it the other day when he posted this on IG.

Goes pretty hard. If it's not an EP then it's as short as one - and the short duration means I'll probably go back to it as little as I do Prima Donna or Hell Can Wait - but it's solid as you'd expect from Staples. Most consistent rapper I can think of from this era.

These new hip hop releases are coming thick and fast now though. Last few days have also seen Ice Cube, J.I.D, Smino and Cupcakke all announce new stuff to come before the year's out. Not to mention Oxnard drops in two weeks and Yandhi in three. Something good to take our minds off how cold and wet it is.

^ still need to get on that.

Smino album is quite good. Maybe a bit overlong and low on the bangers me but if you're into Chi-town soulful rappers like Saba, Noname and Mick Jenkins then it's something you ought to have a listen to. 

Thought a second Cupcakke album in the same year was likely to disappoint but no, it's fire again. She's astonishingly talented to say she's only 21 - riding the beat and delivering memorable punchlines like someone who's been in the game 21 years even.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

What's Ice Cube up to next year? He always seems to be doing some form of touring.

Album next month so hopefully about.

47 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Having seen a decent number of live hip hop acts, I think The Roots are the only ones that I’ve really enjoyed much, Wu Tang are good if they all turn up, difficult to transfer the album energy into a live show. 

I was thinking earlier after the headline announcement that there aren't really any renowned 'great' live acts in hip hop, are there?

The best one I can think of from limited personal experience would be Run the Jewels, but I've seen them three times and they're not close to challenging my favourite ever shows. And even they feel a little bit closer to rock music than an average rapper. The Roots probably benefit from the live instrument aspect of their shows too.

Probably stands to reason that Stormzy won't go over any better than Kanye or Jay Z did but obviously it's just as good, possibly even a better booking than those in the current climate.

Yeah RTJ are comfortably the best hip-hop act I've seen. Thought the sound at Finsbury Park this year was lacking which held them back a bit , and the Glasto '15 set was good without being amazing, but the three times I saw them in 2017 (Mcr Albert Hall, Parklife, Glasto) were all unreal, particularly the first two which were easily up there with the best things I saw all year.

Had a really good time both times I've seen Kendrick too, but I've seen plenty of other better sets this year tbh which hurts to admit after that price tag. Now I'm back to working rather than having excessive student loans handed to me, am I fuck forking out that kinda money for a gig ever again haha.

Joey Badass was pretty sick last year at the Albert Hall, as was Mick Jenkins at Parklife. Kanye was hit and miss ofc but fully believe you could see a truly great set from him if he got it right. But yeah I've got super limited experience of hip-hop and it's mostly pretty solid tbf. I'm forgetting a couple of acts I've seen but it isn't a great deal more than what I've said. Hoping Saba is good in April.

Not at all interested in Stormzy personally, but it's a solid booking. Don't think any of my mates are arsed either. Dunno if I'm backing him to get a big crowd but we'll have to see. The backlash on Twitter is daft; I reckon most those people wouldn't have batted an eyelid if something tragic like Noel Gallagher was announced as headliner.

Edited by Odessa

Seen both RTJ ('15,'16,'17x2) and Kendrick ('15,'16,'18x2) 4 times. Probably been to about 120'ish hip hop shows all in all.

Kendrick is a bit more hit-and-miss, this year's DAMN. gigs haven't been brilliant. RTJ are a solid 8.5/10 every time.

When I saw Kendrick in Dublin touring TPAB with a live band though he was mindbogglingly good. Way ahead of anything I've ever seen a hip hop act be able to do in a live setting.

Still the only setlist I've seen (apart from the Kunta Sessions) where he's done TPAB its justice:

1148160862_ScreenShot2018-11-16at09_05_13.thumb.png.7184cfe91e32b2fe70a57d9c46b5e47e.png

Beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Yah I listened to that first and thought it was decent. Was planning on posting about it in here about it until I heard the Black Thought album and thought I'd post it seeing as I'd not heard anything about it coming out.

Fair. I didn't realise there was a new Streams of Thought coming so soon, and wasn't meaning to say this is any more important. Interested to hear what Salaam Remi brings to it as well when I've finished with this 75 album. Also, I hope you're wrong about it being an album because Vol. 1 was an EP and that's a level of inconsistency that I won't stand for.

Dead pleased with DiCaprio 2 though. Wish it came out earlier in the year. Hip hop isn't a winter sport.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fair. I didn't realise there was a new Streams of Thought coming so soon, and wasn't meaning to say this is any more important. Interested to hear what Salaam Remi brings to it as well when I've finished with this 75 album. Also, I hope you're wrong about it being an album because Vol. 1 was an EP and that's a level of inconsistency that I won't stand for.

Dead pleased with DiCaprio 2 though. Wish it came out earlier in the year. Hip hop isn't a winter sport.

I was actually gonna say "album/EP" cos I didn't know. It's 23 minutes long (first one was 18) but has 9 tracks. Felt weird calling a 9 track project an EP.

Hi all,

First time poster here so sorry if this has already been asked/discussed to death on here or elsewhere on the forum, but why is Drake never really in the running to headline Glastonbury? Of course he won't be doing it this year with Stormzy's announcement and I doubt they'd book him in for 2020, but is it something anyone can foresee in future?

5 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Hi all,

First time poster here so sorry if this has already been asked/discussed to death on here or elsewhere on the forum, but why is Drake never really in the running to headline Glastonbury? Of course he won't be doing it this year with Stormzy's announcement and I doubt they'd book him in for 2020, but is it something anyone can foresee in future?

Think that's more on him not really wanting to do it rather than them not wanting to book him. They don't pay mad amounts and although we obviously love the place here, not sure everyone properly sees the point in playing a gig like any other for not that much money.

36 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Think that's more on him not really wanting to do it rather than them not wanting to book him. They don't pay mad amounts and although we obviously love the place here, not sure everyone properly sees the point in playing a gig like any other for not that much money.

That’s fair enough. Just thought given his recent (2017) infatuation with the UK and the grime scene it may be something that would appeal to him. 

7 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

That’s fair enough. Just thought given his recent (2017) infatuation with the UK and the grime scene it may be something that would appeal to him. 

To be honest, even UK rappers like Giggs and - at one time - Wiley aren't jumping at the chance to play Glastonbury for lower pay so it probably won't carry over to American or Canadian rappers either.