Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Dunno if anyone's checked out the latest Dr Octagon album but it's brill. Great feature from Paul Banks on this song and there's a great Deltron 3030 appearance elsewhere as well, worth a go.

Yep I'm liking the record quite a lot. I think this, Czarface/DOOM and PRhyme were all esteemed hip hop collaborations that were kind of unfairly overlooked this last month.

Got to say though, I don't dig Paul Banks on that track. As much as I love Interpol and recognise that the man is living out his dreams, I'm not crazy about his forays into the hip hop world.

26 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yep I'm liking the record quite a lot. I think this, Czarface/DOOM and PRhyme were all esteemed hip hop collaborations that were kind of unfairly overlooked this last month.

Got to say though, I don't dig Paul Banks on that track. As much as I love Interpol and recognise that the man is living out his dreams, I'm not crazy about his forays into the hip hop world.

The Czarface/DOOM one didn't grab me to be fair but I've still got a saved to go back to over time. Love DOOM, still not entirely sure on Czarface, some of the overly pop culture references sounded odd on the first couple of listens.

I like him every now and then, and love Interpol, but I never go back to any of the Banks and Steelz stuff though (except maybe the hot ones interview)

Romesh Ranganathan does a decent podcast called hip hop saved my life, which features a different celebrity unsurprisingly talking about hip hop and their life. He gets some decent people on and it usually throws up decent recommendations, he recommends a record an episode normally, the doom/czarface one being recent.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Documentary on Sky Arts - Generation Grime, quite a good historical look.

On another note, into Octavian currently 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7eyvAMOpA

Was at Octavian's show in Peckham a couple of weeks back, it was really good, Hands has been on repeat for a while now. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 11:14 AM, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

Documentary on Sky Arts - Generation Grime, quite a good historical look.

On another note, into Octavian currently 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7eyvAMOpA

Yes! Just came in here to shout out Octavian, saw him last Monday in Bristol and he was class. I reckon there's a great chance we see him at the festival.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:02 PM, bigfurbdogg said:

Yes! Just came in here to shout out Octavian, saw him last Monday in Bristol and he was class. I reckon there's a great chance we see him at the festival.

Saw him in London the other week and it was really good. To say the crowd was up for it was an understatement, mosh pits breaking out when the DJ was playing tracks before he came on ?

Sadly delays getting people in meant A2 in support was reduced to a couple of tracks. He's my favourite in the scene right now.

23 minutes ago, Mr_Egregious said:

Hope Loyle Carner is there in 2019. Missed him in 2017 because I was planning on seeing him at Bestival... then when they closed the Bestival site for a couple of hours on the Sunday his set got the chop. Really liking his new one

+1 For Loyle. Also missed him in 2017 due to clashing with RTJ

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I thought the production on Spaceman was off the scale, but wasn’t all that impressed by Octavian’s lyrical content or delivery or anything. Will stick with him though because he’s clearly got an ear for a banger.

Ye, i agree, lyrically he isn't exactly ground breaking, but i love his gravely, off beat delivery. He so flexible as well, from slow songs to grime/drill bangers. Soon as i heard 'Party Here', my ears pricked up and been following him since.

Seeing as RTJ have now got a new track out and the 4th album can't be far behind, what chance of them being back on the farm? Ideally in a night time slot this time.

In an ideal world someone will persuade Q-Tip to do one more 'last ever' Tribe set to replace the one he had to miss last time, but I somehow doubt it.

8 minutes ago, t0paz said:

Seeing as RTJ have now got a new track out and the 4th album can't be far behind, what chance of them being back on the farm? Ideally in a night time slot this time.

In an ideal world someone will persuade Q-Tip to do one more 'last ever' Tribe set to replace the one he had to miss last time, but I somehow doubt it.

I can't see it happening next year. They were there in 2015 and 2017. 2015's performance on West Holts was great but the Pyramid time slot didn't do them any favours in terms of audience.

Would love to see Tribe headline WH.

Edited by EZYSEY

8 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

I can't see it happening next year. They were there in 2015 and 2017. 2015's performance on West Holts was great but the Pyramid time slot didn't do them any favours in terms of audience.

Would love to see Tribe headline WH.

What was the issue with the 2017 performance? I was at both 2015 and 2017 and don't recall there being any kind of drop off in audience or performance from a personal level.

6 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

I can't see it happening next year. They were there in 2015 and 2017. 

I know what you mean but they're getting pretty big and if the new album does well they'd get a big crowd.

I also think they realise what it does for their profile and would want to do it.