Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

32 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Those two would be very interesting. Do they do many live dates?

EDIT: Just saw your comments about not knowing if they are even alive, so I guess maybe not. I know on the first NASA album (not sure if there's been any others) they had LOADS of guest appearances, so not sure how they'd do that live...

I've seen RJD2 before. He played with a live band, who were excellent, but not so many MCs were there. I think he gets more of them involved in his US live shows. I'd definitely watch him again though and will live in hope for a UK performance bursting with MCs that he's worked with. Have you heard the album he did last year with STS? All tracks bar one were recorded with real instruments, and I reckon they would be great to see live together.

If I remember correctly, N.A.S.A played at Hyde Park and a couple of festivals shortly after releasing Spirit of Apollo, but they've not done much for a while and it'd be very difficult to get all those MCs together, as you say. I suppose Gorillaz always manage to get a lot of their MCs to appear but the N.A.S.A ones are such huge names. I'd absolutely love to see their track 'Spacious Thoughts' live - the one with Kool Keith and Tom Waits - awesome track.

On a general note, it's great to see so many fans of quality hip-hop on this thread :)

So as I've only been once, Is it very likely that Vince Staples is going to be on West Holts in a similar slot to Run the Jewels?

Actually still on the UK vibe, has anyone seen Mikill Pane? his "Blame Miss Barclay" album was class. Surely he's been at Glastonbury before..

18 minutes ago, leggy91 said:

So as I've only been once, Is it very likely that Vince Staples is going to be on West Holts in a similar slot to Run the Jewels?

Actually still on the UK vibe, has anyone seen Mikill Pane? his "Blame Miss Barclay" album was class. Surely he's been at Glastonbury before..

Mikill Pane was at the 2013 festival - not sure about since then.

Most hip-hop acts tend to be on in Silver Hayes, with a few at West Holts and the late-night areas and occasionally on the larger stages. I always read the full programme after arriving and usually discover someone new and good that way. Obviously this thread is a goldmine of tips too, and will be even more so after the full lineup has been announced.

20 minutes ago, youcancallmeal said:

Mikill Pane was at the 2013 festival - not sure about since then.

Most hip-hop acts tend to be on in Silver Hayes, with a few at West Holts and the late-night areas and occasionally on the larger stages. I always read the full programme after arriving and usually discover someone new and good that way. Obviously this thread is a goldmine of tips too, and will be even more so after the full lineup has been announced.

Ahh right, cheers.

Last year I didn't see as much hip-hop as I would've liked, only Akala, Kate Tempest, RTJ.  Hoping to explore a lot more this year.

Can't wait for the full line up now...

32 minutes ago, leggy91 said:

Ahh right, cheers.

Last year I didn't see as much hip-hop as I would've liked, only Akala, Kate Tempest, RTJ.  Hoping to explore a lot more this year.

Can't wait for the full line up now...

It's such a shame you missed out on Doomtree: they were probably the best thing I saw all festival. Definitely catch them when they're back in the UK. In 2014 Deltron 3030 played my favourite set but I doubt they'll be back for many years - if ever.

There are bound to be some really good things in the full lineup that we've never heard of before. I always get excited to discover something special: it's one of the best things about Glastonbury.

30 minutes ago, youcancallmeal said:

It's such a shame you missed out on Doomtree: they were probably the best thing I saw all festival. Definitely catch them when they're back in the UK. In 2014 Deltron 3030 played my favourite set but I doubt they'll be back for many years - if ever.

There are bound to be some really good things in the full lineup that we've never heard of before. I always get excited to discover something special: it's one of the best things about Glastonbury.

Damn it! haha I was going to but to be honest It had all caught up with me by then and I was lieing In my tent feeling sorry for myself until about 1pm I think :(

Will definately look out foe them though cheers for that.

Another artist I am desperate to see is Freddie Gibbs, can't wait until he does another show in the UK. I think he's doing one night in London this year so far but I cant make that one...

16 hours ago, leggy91 said:

Damn it! haha I was going to but to be honest It had all caught up with me by then and I was lieing In my tent feeling sorry for myself until about 1pm I think :(

Will definately look out foe them though cheers for that.

Another artist I am desperate to see is Freddie Gibbs, can't wait until he does another show in the UK. I think he's doing one night in London this year so far but I cant make that one...

I totally get that! I'm not a big drinker and don't partake in other drugs, but Sunday at Glastonbury is still always physically tough and midday on Sunday really is the graveyard shift of slots. At about 10 to midday it was just me and my girlfriend sitting at the front on our chairs with literally nobody else there but the band and stage crew. Doomtree didn't look hugely impressed (although they were friendly to us) but a mini crowd started filtering in just before and after they started and, to give them credit, they put on a great show despite the rubbish start time and smallish crowd. Hopefully they get invited back sometime later in the day.

Not heard of Freddie Gibbs before but on a very quick listen he passes my first main test of hip-hop: melody in the production, so I'll check his stuff out further. Thanks :) 

P.S. Don't worry, we weren't on chairs during the show!

18 hours ago, leggy91 said:

I'd bet he'll be on WH, but don't think he'll be as high up as RTJ, middle of the afternoon I'd imagine 

I wouldn't predict too much about where hip-hop acts play. Over the last few years you've seen pretty big rappers on WH, Sonic, JP, and WOW stages (and maybe more I can't remember). I think the biggest challenge for organisers is making sure they don't clash whilst not having a dedicated stage to put them all on.

1 minute ago, Bza said:

Actually, probably not. There isn't an area for the heavier stuff.

I guess though, seeing that there is a whole area for dance music with lots of the tents in there playing similar styles, they could dedicate one of the tents solely to hip hop. Its not like its a niche genre. 

They kind of do. Last year on one of the days (Sunday?) There was almost a full day of grime and hip-hop in one of the Silver Hayes tents. I agree though, a day of quality hip-hop with a proper big name headlining on one the stages  would be nice.

In other news Chance The Rapper has said he's releasing a new mixtape this month. Hopefully it's just him this time - these collabs he keeps doing just aren't as good.

1 hour ago, Bza said:

Actually, probably not. There isn't an area for the heavier stuff.

I guess though, seeing that there is a whole area for dance music with lots of the tents in there playing similar styles, they could dedicate one of the tents solely to hip hop. Its not like its a niche genre. 

Why do you want a genre specific stage for anything at Glastonbury? The variety of successive acts is one of the beautiful things about it. Plus keeping hip hop music at arms length away from the lineup is very very bad.

Dance on Silver Hayes doesn't really count a that's such a huge umbrella with thousands of subcategories.

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 0:06 PM, youcancallmeal said:

Yes, I'd be happy with both of those.

Also would really like (in no particular order, and not particularly realistic, even if everyone on this list is alive):

RJD2 (with live MCs)

Vast Aire

No Bird Sing

Two Fingers

N.A.S.A - The Spirit of Apollo full and live

Hilltop Hoods (with orchestra)

Danger Mouse and Jay-Z: Grey Album live

Aesop Rock

Skuff

Atmosphere

Tor DJ set

Nextmen DJ set

I've missed a few things out but my brain is being distracted by food...........lunchtime!

I've got (probably foolishly) high hopes for Aesop Rock, it would absolutely make my festival, he's got a new album out and is touring (America) around the time with Dates free that weekend

I can't help but think he's probably not on the Glastonbury radar but i'm still living in hope

33 minutes ago, Bza said:

Totally agree with you on the variety of successive acts. Its what makes glastonbury so unique.

I just feel that despite glastonbury being better at putting on decent hip hop acts over the last few years, it still under delivers compared to the vast number of indie, rock, dance and folk acts, I think a dedicated stage or area for hip hop would be an improvement and a place to put on smaller, up and coming acts whilst leaving the bigger marquee names to perform on the bigger stages.

I'm not sure what you mean about keeping hip hop at arms length from the line up.

Ah I get ya. Sorry I assumed that'd be instead of integrating with the line up.

I think they do that alright anyway though - as said there are days or runs of acts on some Silver Hayes stages that showcase hip hop and grime well. I think all we can ask for is more acts in those places and all around the line up, and that's likely what we're gonna get this year.

2 hours ago, JamieKThomas said:

Found this video of Little Simz live in Paris, looks like a fun atmosphere, I hope she gets a good crowd and that there are some other blokes in the crowd so im not on my todd

Good find. She seems like a natural on stage.

4 hours ago, sloseph said:

I've got (probably foolishly) high hopes for Aesop Rock, it would absolutely make my festival, he's got a new album out and is touring (America) around the time with Dates free that weekend

I can't help but think he's probably not on the Glastonbury radar but i'm still living in hope

Totally with you. I've never seen Aesop live but would love to: his production is as good as his rapping, as shown by his awesome Nike Run extended instrumental. Hopefully one day it will happen.......

15 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

So, this just may be my single of the year so far. I'm really hopeful he shows up (even without any tour dates!)

+1

I loved Oxymoron and still blast out "What They Want" and "The Purge" when I can (the missus hates him) 

Can't wait for his new stuff.  

Also you are all open to criticise me on this but I'm actually excited to hear A$AP Ferg's new album as the few songs he's released have been very good especially "Let It Bang"

6 hours ago, big__phil said:

In other news Chance The Rapper has said he's releasing a new mixtape this month. Hopefully it's just him this time - these collabs he keeps doing just aren't as good.

Yes I can't wait for this.. surf was good but Acid Rap, now that was incredible! I just hope his new one is more like that rather than plastered with features by R Kelly and so on as his releases have been. 

Ok. I'm a huge hip hop fan, but don't know a big amount about Grime (seen Dizzy, P Money, Lethal Bizzle, Wretch 32 and Tiny Tempah back in the day) who should I prioritise in the current line up? Was hoping for Kano as like his stuff. Son recommends Skepta and Lady Leshurr - do u agree? Xx

5 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Ok. I'm a huge hip hop fan, but don't know a big amount about Grime (seen Dizzy, P Money, Lethal Bizzle, Wretch 32 and Tiny Tempah back in the day) who should I prioritise in the current line up? Was hoping for Kano as like his stuff. Son recommends Skepta and Lady Leshurr - do u agree? Xx

I'd say Skepta is probably the biggest grime artist around at the moment, even starting to get small pockets of recognition in America. He was great at Glasto last year in one of the Silver Hayes tents but not sure if it will translate so well into one of the big stages in the day if he gets the slot that the poster suggests. I definitely think Stormzy will be one not to miss, he knows how to work a crowd and hasn't played before as far as I'm aware (after pulling out last year for the BET awards :()

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, DefLeppard said:

I'd say Skepta is probably the biggest grime artist around at the moment, even starting to get small pockets of recognition in America. He was great at Glasto last year in one of the Silver Hayes tents but not sure if it will translate so well into one of the big stages in the day if he gets the slot that the poster suggests. I definitely think Stormzy will be one not to miss, he knows how to work a crowd and hasn't played before as far as I'm aware (after pulling out last year for the BET awards :()

Thanks DefLeppard, really helpful xx Hope to get to see both, depending on clashes.