Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

3 minutes ago, DefLeppard said:

They seemed to not bother with that last year though! They had Mary J Blige but she's more RnB. Maybe it was because they had a hip-hop headliner in Kanye so hopefully its back this year. The Sugarhill Gang would be pretty good too, not as good as The Roots though. Imagine if it was Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff... 

Yeah agreed on last year. I guess maybe there was no one around so they went with something similar-ish with Mary J.

Yeah that'd be good but unfortunately Jazzy Jeff is also in America over Glasto weekend :lol: Those two or Ice Cube were my main hopes for it, too.

2 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Yeah agreed on last year. I guess maybe there was no one around so they went with something similar-ish with Mary J.

Yeah that'd be good but unfortunately Jazzy Jeff is also in America over Glasto weekend :lol: Those two or Ice Cube were my main hopes for it, too.

Ahh that's a shame! Yeah, I had high hopes for Ice Cube so him being in America is a shame. Also got excited that Cypress Hill are playing Brixton the weekend before Glastonbury but then I realised that they're playing European festivals over Glastonbury :(.

Well The Roots were starting to look an increasing possibility because they are apparently playing in Austria the weekend before Glasto. Someone mentioned it and I never thought to look it up but I can't find it announced anywhere and to make things worse they're playing a US date in between Glasto and their scheduled North Sea Jazz show. :wacko:

Completely different but maybe Busta Rhymes could fit the bill for a mid-Pyramid slot? He's in France on Friday supporting Cypress Hill but I don't reckon they'd kick him to the curb because they can't continue a pattern.

1 hour ago, rhg_99 said:

Yeah he will be great! Slightly dissapointed with stormzy and skepta as I really don't like grime even though in a massive hip hop fan and I fear that their bookings will reduce the amount of hip hop overall. 

yeah i'm with you on this one, i'm a big hip hop fan but i just can't get on-board the grime ship

i'm hoping we get some more Hip Hop further down the line it's looking a bit slim at the moment, still loads more to come though

Personally very happy with the first announcements, Skepta and Stormzy is perfect for me as I'm a Grime fan and they are both without doubt the biggests Grime artist's in the world. 

Not to knowledgeable of Vince Staples but you guys seem to like him, elsewhere we've got Little Simz and Lady Leshurr. 

Bit disappointed to not see a marquee hip hop act (We all wanted Kendrick) but I expect to see more hip hop when the full poster comes out. 

Overall I'm happy with the Grime/Hip Hop and ecstatic about the line up as a whole. 

23 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

With 4 grime artists announced on the first release surely there'll be a good smattering across the smaller stages.

Hoping for the likes of AJ Tracey, Jammz, Kano, Bloodline too.

Kano seems like the perfect booking for Glasto, especially with his new fantastic album. Going to see him at the end of April but I'm sure I'll want to see him again at Glasto

Really excited about Vince Staples and Oddisee.

Checking out Little Simz now and liking it a lot as well.

Is there anyone else to check out? I'm not much of a Grime person so don't have much interest in Skepta or Stormzy.

Would love to see The Roots.. I am also a massive hip hop fan but less on grime.

I'm sure Skepta will go down well but as far as grime is concerned in my opinion he has nothing on the likes of Devlin, Ghetts and Kano  but hey ho, he must be doing something right :)

I saw Little Simz in Birmingham in 2014 supporting Schoolboy Q and I remember then thinking shit she is one to look out for..

Would love for Schoolboy Q to be there but somehow think that's unlikely.

My ultimate rap wishlist at Glasto is:

The Roots

Chance The Rapper

The Underachievers 

Flatbush Zombies

Lupe Fiasco

Pusha T

And obviously Kendrick (Saw him at reading last year and he was quality)

Edited by leggy91

I'll jump on board the Roots bandwagon. Loved their early output then thought they lost their way a bit with The Tipping Point (despite it's success). Undun is pure class though, and I really must listen to the most recent record.

Vince Staples is a great booking. I'd love Anderson Paak as well, who's playing a few Euro dates a week or so after.

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2016 at 5:25 PM, HoTWire said:

You missed Doomtree played in Sonic last year, first thing on the Sunday, small crowd, great reception.  One of my festival highlights.

Run The Jewels were great, had a really good reception.

Kanye ... would have had a better reception if he had been better.

I'm hoping Stormzy gets a slot this year somewhere... maybe get Skepta back again.  Can't help but feel they would fit in the John Peel tent, it is exactly the sort of stuff he'd play on his show.

I'd love them to get Doomtree back, along with individual shows from each of the artists, I guess they aren't quite big enough for that though, sadly.

I was there (at Doomtree)! It was amazing :) I wish more acts would get involved with the crowd like that, especially in smaller venues with smaller crowds.

Doomtree were possibly my favourite musical discovery of 2015.

This was particularly good live:

7 minutes ago, rhg_99 said:

The Roots would be ideal. Saw The Pharcyde in Brighton sunday night and they'd be more than welcome at Glastonbury for me.

Pharcyde played Bizarre Ride II on the Thursday night one year, but I didn't get down there for one reason or another. I don't think that was too long ago either...

Just now, rhg_99 said:

The Roots would be ideal. Saw The Pharcyde in Brighton sunday night and they'd be more than welcome at Glastonbury for me.

Yes, I'd be happy with both of those.

Also would really like (in no particular order, and not particularly realistic, even if everyone on this list is alive):

RJD2 (with live MCs)

Vast Aire

No Bird Sing

Two Fingers

N.A.S.A - The Spirit of Apollo full and live

Hilltop Hoods (with orchestra)

Danger Mouse and Jay-Z: Grey Album live

Aesop Rock

Skuff

Atmosphere

Tor DJ set

Nextmen DJ set

I've missed a few things out but my brain is being distracted by food...........lunchtime!

wouldn't mind some UK hip hop turning up on the bill too. Lewis Parker, Verb T, Fliptrix, The Four Owls, The Mouse Outfit. The high placing of Skepta and Stormzy on the first poster has sort of made me give up on the hope of Kendrick or Ice Cube.

Very pleased with Vince Staples and Oddise though.

Edited by rhg_99

1 hour ago, 1986 said:

Really excited about Vince Staples and Oddisee.

Checking out Little Simz now and liking it a lot as well.

Is there anyone else to check out? I'm not much of a Grime person so don't have much interest in Skepta or Stormzy.

When/Where did Oddisee get announced?

1 hour ago, youcancallmeal said:

Yes, I'd be happy with both of those.

Also would really like (in no particular order, and not particularly realistic, even if everyone on this list is alive):

RJD2 (with live MCs)

Vast Aire

No Bird Sing

Two Fingers

N.A.S.A - The Spirit of Apollo full and live

Hilltop Hoods (with orchestra)

Danger Mouse and Jay-Z: Grey Album live

Aesop Rock

Skuff

Atmosphere

Tor DJ set

Nextmen DJ set

I've missed a few things out but my brain is being distracted by food...........lunchtime!

Those two would be very interesting. Do you do many live dates?

EDIT: Just saw your comments about not knowing if they are even alive, so I guess maybe not. I know on the first NASA album (not sure if there's been any others) they had LOADS of guest appearances, so not sure how they'd do that live...

Edited by big__phil