Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

I didn't realise Loyle Carner was there last year. I caught him at Visions fest and he was great.

I've caught all the hip hop I could at the two Glasto's I've been to but there is always inevitably plenty of acts I've never heard of so therefore missed.

Doomtree were one of my priorities last year though and they were fantastic. Few acts could have made the most of a small crowd the way they did. The setlist was a great showcase for all of them as well.

This year like everyone else I have high hopes for Cube. Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt and The Roots would be good too.

I'll also hold onto the pipedreams of Kendrick playing or Dre headlining, in spite the severe lack of evidence for either one.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Drake has signed with Boy Better Know? Fuck me. That's like Cristiano Ronaldo signing with Fulham.

Yup, he oddly got a BBK tattoo in October (http://www.factmag.com/2015/10/15/drake-just-got-a-boy-better-know-tattoo/) but I suppose it makes sense now, he's also been on a track with Skepta and brought him out at Wireless Fest. 2 vids below if you're interested. 

• 4 weeks later...

A few more acts are starting to be announced so I thought as they were I would update this thread so theres a resource to find Hip Hop/Grime artists at Glasto. 

Amir Mohamed el Khalifa, better known by his stage name Oddisee, is an American rapper and producer from Washington, DC. He is one third of Diamond District. He was also part of the Low Budget Crew.

Self Confirmation 

Single

Live Performance

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JamieKThomas said:

A few more acts are starting to be announced so I thought as they were I would update this thread so theres a resource to find Hip Hop/Grime artists at Glasto. 

Amir Mohamed el Khalifa, better known by his stage name Oddisee, is an American rapper and producer from Washington, DC. He is one third of Diamond District. He was also part of the Low Budget Crew.

Self Confirmation 

Single

Live Performance

The Good Fight was a very strong release last year. He also dropped a Free EP this week, AlWasta.

R.I.P Phife Dawg too, I had a proper ATCQ all day on Wednesday.

Emily Eavis said this "There are loads of great female MCs coming through this year which is quite exciting. Little Simz and Lady Leshurr and people like that."

Lady Leshurr 

Apparently lots of people like Lady Leshurr despite me thinking she is absolute trash, but each to their own!

Little Simz

Now this is more my cup of tea, I heard her EP and thought it was absolutely outstanding, if you have time check out her full EP. 

The majority of the grime was in Silver Hayes, they went for it on the Saturday. I was there for much of it. I venerate DDoubleE. Fan girl. Logan Sama played with Newham Generals at The Blues. Was ace. (That Skepta/DDouble 'Ladies Hit Squad' is causing me much stress. I'm trying very hard to ignore it.) Yes, Bugzy would be great to see there. Do you guys know Elf Kid? Female MCs-wise, Lady Lykez every time - she flames every single male MC out there with 'Nobody Can' - see below

Edited by ravermum

5 hours ago, JamieKThomas said:

Little Simz

Now this is more my cup of tea, I heard her EP and thought it was absolutely outstanding, if you have time check out her full EP. 

Yeah Little Simz is an artist that could really flourish in a hip hop world where Kendrick is king, but because she's UK based and not really grime it might be a bit tough when that's the big thing over here. People on here that love Kendrick and Paak will appreciate, for sure.

A few people have mentioned The Roots on here but I can't see any indication for them playing unless I'm missing something. Is it just unrealistic wishful thinking or is there some basis behind it? They would be sooo good as West Holts headliner. I suppose Friday afternoon Pyramid would be good too!

There's always a tonne of it mate, you'll find out new people you didn't know we're even out there. Always worth researching certain names on the line up if there on certain stages before hand.

last year d double & footsie were class, RTJ were one of the best things I've seen at Glasto! & yoda and the breakfast of champions were awesome too. I personally lovely Kanye. There was plenty of sets I stumbled across of the week but grime had a bit of a resurgence lad year which is still going. 

I'd be disappointed if stormzy is on this year and also a decent big name like wu, j5, snoop, de la soul, q-tip, nas like recent years. Roots would be nuts but not sure if they would do it. 

Edited by bennyboi

RTJ were amazing last year - esp as it had been pissing it down right up until they came out, along with the sun!

De La Soul played a couple of years ago and were unbelievably good! Don't know if it's too soon for them to come back again, but they would be most welcome!

Ice Cube would be brilliant, but if anyone, I'm harbouring the faintest of hopes for The Roots - they've recently promised they've got a few things up their sleeves, and that everyone will be sick of them by 2017!!! 

56 minutes ago, villain79 said:

RTJ were amazing last year - esp as it had been pissing it down right up until they came out, along with the sun!

De La Soul played a couple of years ago and were unbelievably good! Don't know if it's too soon for them to come back again, but they would be most welcome!

Ice Cube would be brilliant, but if anyone, I'm harbouring the faintest of hopes for The Roots - they've recently promised they've got a few things up their sleeves, and that everyone will be sick of them by 2017!!! 

Where do you reckon The Roots would play if they were to appear? Pyramid in the day or headlining West Holts? It would be soooooooooooooooo good.

6 minutes ago, villain79 said:

It's hard one - they would probably headline West Holts, but there have been a few Hip-Hop acts on the Pyramid during Daytimes - De La Soul, Snoop, N.E.R.D, etc, and have been brilliant, so I'd be equally happy with that! 

Yeah, I can't decide which one would be better. Tbh if the Earth Wind & Fire suspicions are correct then I feel like The Roots and EWF as WH headliners would be too good to be true. I really wish I'd been there for Snoop on the Pyramid, it looked so good from the video on YouTube!

There tends to be a token hip-hop act on the Friday Pyramid each year, so if they do play that's where I'd put them. Although they only have one date in Europe so far and that's at North Sea Jazz where they'd probably be more appreciated than on the Pyramid. I guess if anyone's gonna get them over here, though, it'd probably be Glastonbury. 

I've got The Sugarhill Gang down in that slot on my prediction but The Roots would probably be who I'd be most likely to guess after them. Ice Cube is in America over Glasto weekend.

Actually fuck it I'm gonna go with the Roots.

9 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

There tends to be a token hip-hop act on the Friday Pyramid each year, so if they do play that's where I'd put them. Although they only have one date in Europe so far and that's at North Sea Jazz where they'd probably be more appreciated than on the Pyramid. I guess if anyone's gonna get them over here, though, it'd probably be Glastonbury. 

I've got The Sugarhill Gang down in that slot on my prediction but The Roots would probably be who I'd be most likely to guess after them. Ice Cube is in America over Glasto weekend.

Actually fuck it I'm gonna go with the Roots.

They seemed to not bother with that last year though! They had Mary J Blige but she's more RnB. Maybe it was because they had a hip-hop headliner in Kanye so hopefully its back this year. The Sugarhill Gang would be pretty good too, not as good as The Roots though. Imagine if it was Will Smith & DJ Jazzy Jeff...