Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

Hello all, I've been a lurker on this forum for a good few months now and finally decided to take the plunge to join and start a topic. 

This year will be my first Glasto, I'm a huge hip hop/grime fan and was wondering how much I could expect this year. Obviously Kanye headlined last year and caused a hude debate over weather somebody doing his genre of music should be headlining. 

Looking back at last year I was surprised by how much Hip Hop and Grime were at the festival, m y main question is how much would you expect this year and who would you like to see?

2015 Hip Hop/Grime

Below is a list of almost all of the Hip Hop/Grime artists I could find from last years festival, I may have missed some. and they are in no real order.

Run The Jewels (West Holts)

Fuse ODG (Sonic)

Kanye West (Pyramid)

Idris Elba (DJ set but I imagine he played a lot of hip hop, check his Shutdown remix - 

Akala (Left Field)

Big Narstie

Skepta

George The Poet

Novelist

Kendrick Lamar has been rumoured for this year but I've heard he's an exclusive elsewhere, also Emily Eavis mentioned that Lady Leshur (urgh) and Little Simz could possible be there. 

Did any of you guys go to any of these gigs? If so what sort of atmosphere did you experience? I would love to hear your thoughts on Hip Hop and Grime at Glasto and what sort of thing to expect this year. 

You missed Doomtree played in Sonic last year, first thing on the Sunday, small crowd, great reception.  One of my festival highlights.

Run The Jewels were great, had a really good reception.

Kanye ... would have had a better reception if he had been better.

I'm hoping Stormzy gets a slot this year somewhere... maybe get Skepta back again.  Can't help but feel they would fit in the John Peel tent, it is exactly the sort of stuff he'd play on his show.

I'd love them to get Doomtree back, along with individual shows from each of the artists, I guess they aren't quite big enough for that though, sadly.

1 minute ago, HoTWire said:

You missed Doomtree played in Sonic last year, first thing on the Sunday, small crowd, great reception.  One of my festival highlights.

Run The Jewels were great, had a really good reception.

Kanye ... would have had a better reception if he had been better.

I'm hoping Stormzy gets a slot this year somewhere... maybe get Skepta back again.  Can't help but feel they would fit in the John Peel tent, it is exactly the sort of stuff he'd play on his show.

I'd love them to get Doomtree back, along with individual shows from each of the artists, I guess they aren't quite big enough for that though, sadly.

Thanks for the reply, I've never heard of Doomtree so I'll have to take a look.

I too was disappointed by Kanye, especially with how good his Yeezus tour was I was expecting something big.

His performance at the Brits last year was fantastic, if you check the background of the video below Kanye brought through a lot of grime stars on stage.

With the rate Stormzy has grown I would be really surprised to not see him, would also love Skepta back.

Craig David seems all the hype at the moment and despite not being Grime I would love to see him.

10 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

So did I, sunday morning was a complete write of for me. 

6 minutes ago, rostro said:

there's a bit of Akala's gig at the Rum Shack on this video: 

That Akala gig was one of my highlights of last year, Beans on Toast at Hell and Akala at the Rum Shack wasn't a half bad way to start the festival.

39 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

So did I, sunday morning was a complete write of for me. 

I nearly missed it, I live locally so drive in each day ( :D ), Saturday was a late one, I ended up running from the car park to Sonic, missed about 10 mins of the set. It was a great though, they did the performance in the crowd.WP_20150628_12_35_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.49bdf

Stormzy should have played last year but he had to pull out because of the the BET's

I went to Skepta on WOW and it was as you can expect rammed and went mental front to back for pretty much the whole gig. 

I also saw newham generals with Logan Sama which was ace, very good atmosphere again. 

There should be even more grime again this year. Hopefully they put Skepta or bbk and Stormzy on John peel because it's dangerous anywhere smaller.

21 minutes ago, calcium_kid said:

If you like a bit of UK Underground Hip Hop, Dirty Dike and Jam Baxter played last year, and I think they were about last year too. 

I would love to see High Focus live so anything like that would be great. 

17 minutes ago, Divein said:

Stormzy should have played last year but he had to pull out because of the the BET's

I went to Skepta on WOW and it was as you can expect rammed and went mental front to back for pretty much the whole gig. 

I also saw newham generals with Logan Sama which was ace, very good atmosphere again. 

There should be even more grime again this year. Hopefully they put Skepta or bbk and Stormzy on John peel because it's dangerous anywhere smaller.

Seems to be common with most Grime gigs, Jammer is doing a show in my city on Friday in a fairly small venue so I bet that will be the same. 

Can't help but feel Stormzy is the strong favourite out of most grime artists to be at Glasto this year, Skepta seems to be busy in America so I'm worried he wont be there. 

A full BBK set is the dream though, but I would love to see Bugzy Malone get a set somewhere, he looks pretty decent live and seems to be releasing songs like Moshpit which seem perfect for a festival.

Dizzee Rascal would be brilliant to see live too and I guess he's big enough to get a decent slot. 

Idris Elba plays appalling house music when he DJ's sadly.

Think there should be a few bits, Logan Sama would be decent on the grime front, would think Stormzy will show up, then a few of Section Boyz, Novelist etc

No idea what the hip hop line up would be, Ice Cube maybe? 

2 hours ago, HoTWire said:

I nearly missed it, I live locally so drive in each day ( :D ), Saturday was a late one, I ended up running from the car park to Sonic, missed about 10 mins of the set. It was a great though, they did the performance in the crowd.WP_20150628_12_35_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.49bdf

Haha that's me in the stylish yellow poncho up front.

Great surprise that set. Knew nothing about them (bar POSs solo stuff) before seeing them. 

1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Idris Elba plays appalling house music when he DJ's sadly.

Think there should be a few bits, Logan Sama would be decent on the grime front, would think Stormzy will show up, then a few of Section Boyz, Novelist etc

No idea what the hip hop line up would be, Ice Cube maybe? 

Ice Cube is a great shout, like someone said he's play Parklife a few weeks before, with all the PR he's been doing for Ride Along 2 he may want to continue that hype. 

Section Boyz would be pretty good, Krept and Konan are pretty big right now so I can see them being there. 

4 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

outside of kendrick / drake, would love to see chance again, asap rocky, pusha t , freddie gibbs.

Sayw Chance in Wireless 2014 and he was great, didn't know too many of his songs but him having a live band on stage made a big difference, guy has huge stage presence.

That was the year Drake cancelled a few days before, I'm a huge Drake fan so obviously was gutted. 

ASAP Rocky was great in Reading, Earl Sweatshirt also looked good in Wireless although I only caught the last few minutes. 

Like Alex said about Schoolboy Q is a good shout, was at Wireless and watched him from the back, put on a great show, as did ASAP Ferg. 

Edited by JamieKThomas

2 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Pusha T is a great shout, it'd be great if we could get Earl Sweatshirt, Ab-Soul and Schoolboy Q over as well.

Schoolboy q ! never seen him live put i was at a asap rocky gig when he did hands on the wheel and it was rather special!

6 hours ago, JamieKThomas said:

Looking back at last year I was surprised by how much Hip Hop and Grime were at the festival, m y main question is how much would you expect this year and who would you like to see?

Really? I remember many being disappointed by the lack of hip hop. I was, and was even more disappointed when Azealia Banks vanished.

There are plenty of acts touring that I'm hopeful for - too many to list - but I think Vince Staples will be there for sure as they are usually good at scooping up the newer critically acclaimed rappers to play. A couple of veteran acts aside, the rest of the slots I could just see going to grime acts that have graduated to the main stage; which is nice I suppose but not of much interest to me.

It'd be amazing if there was another Nas in Sonic type booking. Not that I regret seeing the Stones one bit but I was too new to Glastonbury to realise what a massive thing that would be and would love to see a similar legend (if that's possible) on a smaller stage.

Edited by dentalplan

It must be hard for Glastonbury considering both rappers they've booked to headline have been met with considerable backlash, but after the acclaim for Jay-Z 8 years ago I don't see why they're reluctant to book rappers on the smaller stages? As the rest of you have said people like Ice Cube and Kendrick would go down a storm. 

11 hours ago, imamazed said:

Haha that's me in the stylish yellow poncho up front.

Great surprise that set. Knew nothing about them (bar POSs solo stuff) before seeing them. 

ha! You are in all the pictures I've got of them :D ... The highlight for me was when they played Get Down, when the chorus dropped and the crowd went nuts, someone behind me shouted "Holy shit!!!"... good times.

My 2016 choice would be The Roots, headlining West Holts please.  Preferably not clashing with anyone!

my hip hope highlights last year

RTJ on West Holts - I was flagging a big before they came on but the atmosphere as soon as they started playing was electric

Kate Tempest on the Park - this was one of my favourite sets from last year, her doing Hold Your Own still sends shivers up my spine when I think about it

DJ Yoda doing Breakfast of Champions on the Glade - the crowd were so into this and the performers seemed so hyped that it was just  blissful

Loyle Carner on the BBC introducing stage - this kid is coming on leaps and bounds, I can see him headlining some big stages in the future

this year i'd love to see more hip hop (not really a big grime fan)

I've got my fingers well and truly crossed for Aesop Rock who's got a new album out this year

Ice Cube would be sick

I really hope Kate Tempest comes back but she seems to be only promoting her book this year so I'm not sure she will