alcohol infusions

slash's hat

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

Instead of a nutri-bullet I may try a coffee cafetiere then :P 

When you strain it, you could put it through a muslin or tea towel, then give it a good squeeze to get the juice out. You might get a few sludgy bits getting through, but a coffee filter would then get rid of those.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Infusion virgin here - love the sound of the gin recipes! Would appreciate your advice please :) I only have 3 days festival prep (flying in from overseas) so what is the best gin infusion for a quick turn around? It sounds like the vodka/sweets ones can be made quickly but can the gin/fruit be done in that time frame? 

8 hours ago, dougal1 said:

Infusion virgin here - love the sound of the gin recipes! Would appreciate your advice please :) I only have 3 days festival prep (flying in from overseas) so what is the best gin infusion for a quick turn around? It sounds like the vodka/sweets ones can be made quickly but can the gin/fruit be done in that time frame? 

The dishwasher method is quick. Last year I did lemon sherbet vodka, crushed the sweets up, put them in the vodka, shake it, wrap the bottle in cling film and put in the dishwasher..took about 3 hours in total. Was beautiful. Gonna do some Pear drop vodka that way this year.

On 2/22/2016 at 8:27 AM, Waapster said:

Year before last I chopped up 3 Mars bars, put them in a litre of Vodka and put it in the dishwasher. It needed a good shake after to mix it. Came out like a very strong Baileys. Doesn't have to be drunk cold so worked over the festival weekend.

That sounds amazing.

Skittles vodka has been a winner a few years for us. Never made it meself like, me mate usually does it. Think she just sticks a litre of vodka and a big bag of Skittles in a 2 litre bottle and leaves it in fridge a couple of days, seives it back into a litre bottle and job's a good un. Surprisingly easy to drink, but definitely gonna have to give this Mars one a go. Or maybe Snickers... Fucking love nuts.

On 4/14/2017 at 9:43 AM, Perks said:

The dishwasher method is quick. Last year I did lemon sherbet vodka, crushed the sweets up, put them in the vodka, shake it, wrap the bottle in cling film and put in the dishwasher..took about 3 hours in total. Was beautiful. Gonna do some Pear drop vodka that way this year.

That is a crucial life-skill that everyone should know!

38 minutes ago, craigyb31 said:

Had a taste of my wedding cake vodka and its coming along lovely

I still can't believe that you just crush some wedding cake into a bottle of vodka and that's it.

54 minutes ago, Slavivlad said:

I still can't believe that you just crush some wedding cake into a bottle of vodka and that's it.

I'm suprised its worked too, I started looking at the various ingrediants to make seperately and asked our gang for hints but someone said she did a cake one last year and just chucked it. I thought oh well why not if it fails theres still plenty of time to buy skittles 

On 4/23/2017 at 10:31 PM, Slavivlad said:

My new project for the week. Will update you folks on the progress next weekend.

edit: photo didn't upload. Banana gin is being forged.

Would not recommend. It went a funny dark/brown colour and tasted absolutely disgusting. No thank you.

currently drinking my first attempt at an infusion, of sorts, rhubarb and custard vodka, made with sweets rather than actual rhubarb, mmmm very nice once I got the amount of sweets right, so easy, dissolve sweets in vodka, done. No filtering needed.

need something a bit more adventurous now, quite fancy mars bar vodka or wedding cake vodka.

13 hours ago, Smeble said:

currently drinking my first attempt at an infusion, of sorts, rhubarb and custard vodka, made with sweets rather than actual rhubarb, mmmm very nice once I got the amount of sweets right, so easy, dissolve sweets in vodka, done. No filtering needed.

need something a bit more adventurous now, quite fancy mars bar vodka or wedding cake vodka.

And what is the right amount of sweets?? Anything with rhubarb has me sold!

18 hours ago, Smeble said:

Mars vodka is the ticket. 3 Mars bars for 70cl bottle does the trick. Great when you want to watch a band and have a drink but not need a piss the whole time. Just sip at it neat, winner!

19 hours ago, nikkic said:

Has anyone made a Mango Rum? If so what sort of quantities are we talking? How long to infuse? 

Talk to me good people! 

I have a mango spiced rum on the go at the minute. It looks disgusting! Went for flesh and stone of 2 mangos to half a bottle of rum initially but then transferred it to a smaller jar so have just had one stone and a few chunks of flesh brewing for about 6 weeks I think. It's definitely going to need a good filter before I even dare try it! 

Will hopefully filter it over the weekend, give it a try and if it's decent start a new batch for Glastonbury. I'll update in here!

17 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Mars vodka is the ticket. 3 Mars bars for 70cl bottle does the trick. Great when you want to watch a band and have a drink but not need a piss the whole time. Just sip at it neat, winner!

How long does the mars bar vodka take? Also how do you do it? Cheers :-)

13 minutes ago, Perks said:

How long does the mars bar vodka take? Also how do you do it? Cheers :-)

I followed this. Pretty easy, only issue I had was when adding the vodka it cooled the mars bar and started to solidify so I put it back on a really low heat to soften it again. Did mine the night before as it doesn't need to infuse etc. 

It's nice with cold milk too.

Edited by Dave_c

3 hours ago, Dave_c said:

I followed this. Pretty easy, only issue I had was when adding the vodka it cooled the mars bar and started to solidify so I put it back on a really low heat to soften it again. Did mine the night before as it doesn't need to infuse etc. 

It's nice with cold milk too.

Cheers dude. Don't even like mars bars, but like the idea. Gonna give that one a go too

Edited by Perks
Spelling

OK, confession time - we didn't drink all our infusions last year. So, 10 months on, we have the left-overs still in their bottles next to the walking boots.

So, my question, having tasted them, they seem fine (blueberry vodka, black cherry vodka and pineapple gin), they just taste a bit more like liquors and need freshening up. Any ideas?