alcohol infusions

slash's hat

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Quick question for the experts, as this is my first year of fruity infusions. Do they work with mixers well as I can see me being collapsed by teatime (dinner time for you southern heathens) if I'm on neat spirits all aft. 

Really depends on the flavours you're using. For example, I've done gingerbread vodka, and it goes well with lemonade or cola/Dr pepper. I've also done strawberry, whick works with lemonade, but not cola. What are you making?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Really depends on the flavours you're using. For example, I've done gingerbread vodka, and it goes well with lemonade or cola/Dr pepper. I've also done strawberry, whick works with lemonade, but not cola. What are you making?

Love the sound of gingerbread vodka, how did you make it?

3 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Quick question for the experts, as this is my first year of fruity infusions. Do they work with mixers well as I can see me being collapsed by teatime (dinner time for you southern heathens) if I'm on neat spirits all aft. 

Depends on the flavours as grumby said, but there are still over 2 months until the festival so you can always try weird and wonderful combinations.

What worked for me - a handful of jellybeans (any will do, I used Tesco's own and they were all different), gin and leave to marinade in the fridge for a bit. Very sweet, easily drinkable without mixer. Just do not eat the jellybeans afterwards. They maintain their shape but turn into sand once you bite into them. Disgusting.

40 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Was it a lot of hassle. or just sieve the sweets out? 

Not at all. Sieve them out, spoon them out. They're pretty easy to get out because they keep their shape but once you bite into them - they are tasteless and just dry your mouth out. It's like doing the cinnamon challenge. 

They probably tasted like garbage because I forgot that I had made it  so it was in the fridge for like 4 weeks. If you do it for a few days - maybe they won't be as bad. 

Edited by Slavivlad

On 13 March 2017 at 4:00 PM, Perks said:

Cheers Lucy, quick question(s) how much gin? Just put the chopped pineapple into the bottle of gin? Sorry if that's a silly question, that's how I done it with sherbert sweets last year. Gonna give this a go on Thurs when at me folks. Me da will love looking after this little project.

I've just seen this, sorry! I'm a bit late with the pineapple this year, bought the pineapple yesterday so will do it tomorrow probably. Glad to hear yours is on the go! 

I've just started a wedding cake flavoured vodka for our Thursday meet to tie in with our handfasting ceremony afterwards. Some one will hopefully film the ceremony so we can remember it afterwards.

20 minutes ago, craigyb31 said:

I've just started a wedding cake flavoured vodka for our Thursday meet to tie in with our handfasting ceremony afterwards. Some one will hopefully film the ceremony so we can remember it afterwards.

Wedding cake flavoured vodka? How did you manage that?

1 hour ago, Slavivlad said:

Wedding cake flavoured vodka? How did you manage that?

Just chopped up a cake, icing and all, and put it in a jar with the vodka to infuse. No idea what it'll turn out like

My friends and I generally have a competition each year as to who can provide he best drinks:

Winners:

Palma Violet vodka (the king of all flavoured vodkas).

Strawberry and basil vodka - great with lemonade and not sickly sweet like many others.

Mojito rum - again, nice and refreshing.

Wethers Originals - great for shots - can be really sickly.

Losers:

Flying saucer vodka - like drinking pure acid.

Can't think of many other losers to be honest! Most have turned out pretty good.

This is a little off topic, but it's stil about booze, so I hope that means its allowed :) I usually end up taking a crate of cans of magners or similar to glasto with me, but I much prefer the organic stuff (henry westons, wyld wood, or something a tad more fancy). However, most of these are in bottles. Taking a box of wyld wood in might work, but how easy is that to actually drink around the site? I suppose it's easy enough with my steel cup from last year. Alternatively, any one know of any good organic cider in cans? Or could I just take a camel pack to my local in Sheffield and ask them to fill it up with however many pints of whatever 7-8% stuff will fit....?

13 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

With the fruit ones, get lemonade as a mixer with most of them!

I done Strawberry and Rhubarb last year, which mixed well!

I've been enthused to infuse! Going to have a bash at cola cube, apple pie and then maybe a cherry bourbon. First go at this, but hopefully some of it might turn out OK. Can't be worse than Wood's rum anyway.

Any tips for a first timer greatly appreciated!

30 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I've been enthused to infuse! Going to have a bash at cola cube, apple pie and then maybe a cherry bourbon. First go at this, but hopefully some of it might turn out OK. Can't be worse than Wood's rum anyway.

Just ask yourself "What's the worst that could happen?" and wing it ;) 

2 hours ago, big__phil said:

Did cola cube vodka last year and was really nice. Sadly I got wasted on weds and couldnt touch the stuff for rest of weekend.

25 minutes ago, Untz said:

Two in the rucksack and one under each arm. Roughly.

That's almost a box a day! Ideal!

That gingerbread vodka has also got me pretty tempted. Might give that a whirl. A good replacement from the Honey JD I took last year. That stuff is way too drinkable to have in your bag when your over excited on the Wednesday afternoon....

I'm a keen homebrewer, but as I'm travelling alone on a NE coach i don't much fancy lugging gallons of beer/cider/wine so have decided to focus on taking spirits and will buy my beer and cider cold from the bars.

Had a litre bottle of Smirnoff with no more than a quarter gone out of it, so have thrown a bag of Foxes Dark into it. Had a taste and may chuck in another half bag to give it a bit more of a flavour kick. Then will take 500ml of that with me, the rest to sample before of course haha. And also thinking of half litre cherry drop (sounds yum!), Half litre or another infusion of some kind and likely a full litre of nice whisky, being my tipple of choice. 

Anybody flogging a healthy liver? I've a feeling I may need one by the end of June, hahaha!!