Closing out the festival - how do you spend your Sunday night?

SwedgeAntilles

Last time (2014), I had all sorts of plans on the clashfinder, but my feet were fucked, so I just spent it in The Park, chilling out.  Ended up lying on the hill, talking to random people about their festival watching James Blake.  Then staggered over to the stone circle, failed to watch the sun come up because of clouds and then made my way back to my tent.

Perfect.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday last year, I was in the staff bar behind West holts chatting to randomers and one man I was talking to turned out to be the manager of the band Coasts. I mentioned that I saw them earlier on John Peel and loved their set and then he said he was going to meet up with them now and asked if I wanted to join. So I ended up drinking and smoking with the band for a few hours by Arcadia bar. Quite surreal but memorable experience!

That top picture does not represent the frazzled overburdened pack mule of a man that limps through the gates at the start of each festival. I arrive weighted down by shit tonnes of booze and the tent, trying to keep one hand free for the tickets. Arriving is definitely the most effort.

8 hours ago, ian the worm said:

This was me 2015 Sunday 9:30pm at Goat.  Just before starting the final 10 hour bar shift.

10424239_10206757387550766_1201204711116

Worse than the flag bearers ;):P

A hug with mates/strangers you won't see again for a year and a nice quiet contemplative wonder around the site is how I close it! (Going through the Circus fields on my way back to camp after headliner is also always interesting! )

When the bands are finishing up, unless there is someone I'm particularly wanting to see I'd probably just have a wander from stage to stage, passing along the top of the pyramid field which has a view of the whole field, quite a sight! I was last there in 2013 and was a bit bored with the XX on the other stage so just had a walk on my own, was quite a nice experience. We usually get off at about 8am Monday so never usually too late on the Sunday. Can't wait for this year.

9 minutes ago, Boss84 said:

was a bit bored with the XX on the other stage

How very dare you.

My brother was dragged to Mumford and sons instead of the smashing pumpkins and the xx. I'll never let him live that down.

By Sunday my energy levels are starting to dwindle. Need to utilise energy drinks.

Just now, cammie81 said:

How very dare you.

My brother was dragged to Mumford and sons instead of the smashing pumpkins and the xx. I'll never let him live that down.

By Sunday my energy levels are starting to dwindle. Need to utilise energy drinks.

I like them normally, but the atmosphere didn't really suit them on the bigger stage; the sound was a bit lost and lifeless. Would have been great in a tent.

Normally a mooch about, a loop through the caberet fields, bit of time in the SE corner before it gets rammed. Don't usually watch a big band, it's more a time for friends, cos usually I'll not see them for another year, till the next festival.

4 hours ago, cammie81 said:

Too true. Found it weird that they headlined and pumpkins subbed. Reckon the xx must have requested they play in dark.

I'd read that that was the case.  Pumpkins did a good job in the slot they had though, I always considered them the real headliner that night.

From the 2 times I've been my Sunday ritual has been to take a fuckload of MDMA from midniight onwards and dance away until all of the dance stages have finished. Then wonder what to do with my life and so go up to The Stone Circle for an hour or so before remembering that the shitty silent disco in the Sonic tent is open until 8am so we'll go over there until it shuts and then miserably crawl back into our campsite in Bushy. Usually as we get back the stragglers from last night will just be waking up and will be surprised that "we had woke up so early". We'll then take out tents down and head off to get on a coach.

It's a good tactic as I have no memory of being on either coach home as I've passed out the moment I've sat on them

We normally watch our headliner and then wander down to the cider bus area and sit on the benches and have a drink and a debrief, as people slowly filter away from that area. Then we just wander round the site taking it all in one last time. We usually aim to leave site by 7am on the Monday morning (to avoid our 5 hour journey home turning into a 12 hour journey) so don't tend to go in hard on the Sunday*.

*if EWF play West Holts on the Sunday this year, that may go out of the window...

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 5:45 PM, ian the worm said:

This was me 2015 Sunday 9:30pm at Goat.  Just before starting the final 10 hour bar shift.

10424239_10206757387550766_1201204711116

Respect for lugging that pole round with you! :lol:  I might take 1 for my m8, he's always wandering off.

The past couple of years I've ended up in the circus area till late, then a final trip to stone circle before I head off home.

On 2/21/2016 at 4:56 PM, jonodillieono said:

From the 2 times I've been my Sunday ritual has been to take a fuckload of MDMA from midniight onwards and dance away until all of the dance stages have finished. Then wonder what to do with my life and so go up to The Stone Circle for an hour or so before remembering that the shitty silent disco in the Sonic tent is open until 8am so we'll go over there until it shuts and then miserably crawl back into our campsite in Bushy. Usually as we get back the stragglers from last night will just be waking up and will be surprised that "we had woke up so early". We'll then take out tents down and head off to get on a coach.

It's a good tactic as I have no memory of being on either coach home as I've passed out the moment I've sat on them

Our coach was at 7am last year, me and a few others in our group who were driving back got to that Silent Disco at about 4.30-5am, completely fucked with some supplies still left. I asked em when they shut, they said 6am. Thought that would be perfect, they'll shut it down, giving me an hour to get back to Darble, pack the last of my things and take my tent down. 6.40am rolls around, they had decided to keep it open until 7am and I had no clue what the time was. Next thing I know I'm legging it whilst completely fucked, back to my two campmates, one of whom is very sensible and wasn't best pleased at all, the other who had ditched the evening at 4am was struggling not to chunder every 2 minutes. Finally made a coach back to London, passed out, had a few night terrors as I was still massively mangled and didn't wake up until we were a couple of miles from The O2.

I plan on having a similar end to the festival this year.

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

Our coach was at 7am last year, me and a few others in our group who were driving back got to that Silent Disco at about 4.30-5am, completely fucked with some supplies still left. I asked em when they shut, they said 6am. Thought that would be perfect, they'll shut it down, giving me an hour to get back to Darble, pack the last of my things and take my tent down. 6.40am rolls around, they had decided to keep it open until 7am and I had no clue what the time was. Next thing I know I'm legging it whilst completely fucked, back to my two campmates, one of whom is very sensible and wasn't best pleased at all, the other who had ditched the evening at 4am was struggling not to chunder every 2 minutes. Finally made a coach back to London, passed out, had a few night terrors as I was still massively mangled and didn't wake up until we were a couple of miles from The O2.

I plan on having a similar end to the festival this year.

You would have been able to get on a later coach, they're never totally full going back.

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You would have been able to get on a later coach, they're never totally full going back.

That was my excuse as well, but it seemingly didn't go down as well as I'd hoped! Was my first festival and the others weren't too sure as hadn't done the coaches before. On the NE coaches this year, so managed to choose a much better return time.

7 hours ago, kingbadger said:

That was my excuse as well, but it seemingly didn't go down as well as I'd hoped! Was my first festival and the others weren't too sure as hadn't done the coaches before. On the NE coaches this year, so managed to choose a much better return time.

Well yeah, not something I would try out willingly!

Normally I'm never happy with how I spend my Sunday night after the final headliner, last year though I went and had a dance around in Shangri-la until about four, then went and found my uncle with a couple of friends and chilled out at the Stone Circle (which normally I really dislike but this time I had a qualit time) and dropped some acid in time for the sunrise. Chilled there for a while then went for a walk around looking hoping to stumble across something in the green friends, then went back to the tent and chilled out until about 5pm an headed home. Really was a great end to the festival.