New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

I've just joined the F&B club with the 3-man poled (&porch) version - MH100XL. I did a test pitch and was out of the delivery box & pitched within 10 minutes.  It's definitely by far the darkest tent I've ever owned but I was surprised by how see through the mesh on the door is (whilst the rest of the bedroom compartment is indeed blackout), making out light & shadows through the porch area. Is this normal with the F&B tents? Admittedly this is facing the sun on a sunny evening. I guess it helps with airflow.

image.thumb.jpeg.cad8fa42da1170220643d346aa403fe8.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Glawsboy said:

Is this normal with the F&B tents? Admittedly this is facing the sun on a sunny evening. I guess it helps with airflow

I don’t own the porch version but I believe it’s the same on all versions. This may be a silly question but have you closed both the internal and external doors?

21 minutes ago, Glawsboy said:

I've just joined the F&B club with the 3-man poled (&porch) version - MH100XL. I did a test pitch and was out of the delivery box & pitched within 10 minutes.  It's definitely by far the darkest tent I've ever owned but I was surprised by how see through the mesh on the door is (whilst the rest of the bedroom compartment is indeed blackout), making out light & shadows through the porch area. Is this normal with the F&B tents? Admittedly this is facing the sun on a sunny evening. I guess it helps with airflow.

Looks to me that the internal 'door' that's next to the 'mesh' one isn't zipped up.

Thanks both, was pretty convinced I had all zips shut (external door, internal door and flap at top of internal door), wouldn't put it past me to miss a whole extra one though! ... from the other side looking in the door to the internal compartment looks pitch black. May have to do a 2nd test pitch (or just wait until on Worthy Farm!) to make sure I wasn't just being an idiot! Will try to pitch with doors west facing though!

1 hour ago, Glawsboy said:

It’s working to design. A silhouette of whatever you get up to at night is projected on the back of the tent. Film crews will be going round recording any interesting action to put on www.fresh’nblacklacetube.net. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, waynewdk said:

Just purchased mine from Next,  Fresh and Black 4.1. With rods, enough height to stand up,£167 bargain, cheaper than decathlon site

Cheers for the heads up. Was about to buy it from Decathalon this weekend so lovely little saving that, thanks!

Does anyone own this one?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-331796?mc=8641758&c=BROWN_BEIGE

Am very close to pulling the trigger but thought I'd ask if anyone has this specific one. It doesn't have many reviews compared to the others on Decathlon's website. 

The alternative is the 3 man pop-up but I viewed it in store today and the bag is a bit more of a pain to carry around!

On 5/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, squirrelarmy said:

A lot warmer. 

You’re removing the fresh part of the tent out of the equation. The sunlight won’t be reflecting off the surface of the bell tent so you would be in a furnace due to the extra surface area. 

The only benefit you would get is if it’s a really cold and wet night. The airgap between the tents would act like a thermos flask. Any heat in the inner tent will be maintained longer. 

It would be dark as fuck though!

1 hour ago, drjonnybananas said:

Does anyone own this one?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-331796?mc=8641758&c=BROWN_BEIGE

Am very close to pulling the trigger but thought I'd ask if anyone has this specific one. It doesn't have many reviews compared to the others on Decathlon's website. 

The alternative is the 3 man pop-up but I viewed it in store today and the bag is a bit more of a pain to carry around!

I went for the below in the end. 

https://www.next.co.uk/style/st729674/449769

It's a 2 man but XL so has the porch for storage and I wanted to avoid a poled after having pop ups for so long. 

If you want more space the 3 man looks decent. Also assume you are trying to avoid the turtle shell carry. 

Edited by joeltg

9 minutes ago, joeltg said:

It's a 2 man but XL so has the porch for storage and I wanted to avoid a poled after having pop ups for so long. 

If you want more space the 3 man looks decent. Also assume you are trying to avoid the turtle shell carry. 

Word of warning on this one - I ordered the 3 man F&B from Next 2 weeks ago after discovering it was around £20 cheaper than Decathlon and would be delivered within 6 days. 10 days and two phone calls to customer services later, Next emailed today to say they couldn't fulfill the order and would be providing a full refund. I've gone back to order the same tent from Decathlon directly (for £20 more) and will be collecting in store on Thursday. 

Edited by Brownie30

3 minutes ago, Brownie30 said:

Word of warning on this one - I ordered the 3 man F&B from Next 2 weeks ago after discovering it was around £20 cheaper than Decathlon and would be delivered within 6 days. 10 days and two phone calls to customer services later, Next emailed today to say they couldn't fulfill the order and would be providing a full refund. I've gone back to order the same tent from Decathlon directly (for £20 more) and will be collecting in store on Thursday. 

Thanks for the heads up Brownie, will keep an eye on that! 

They should be taking them off the site if they can't fulfill. 

4 hours ago, joeltg said:

I have the original non-f&b version of this and it's excellent for a single camper. Doesn't have the f&b material but has loads of ventilation. Will upgrade whenever it finally starts falling apart (2014 and counting).

On a side note, when I went to Melt festival 2018 in Germany, the entire campsite seemed to be a sea of white fresh & black tents. Definitely much more prevalent than at Glasto

12 hours ago, joeltg said:

Thanks for the heads up Brownie, will keep an eye on that! 

They should be taking them off the site if they can't fulfill. 

Not to worry @joeltg - FWIW the customer service reps over the phone were really helpful, sounded more like it was a supplier issue they had no control over. (AKA as @crazyfool1 says, Efests has bought them all)