New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

33 minutes ago, Glast0baby said:

Has anyone got this 4 man version.  I've bought it, but unlikely to get an opportunity to practice pitch it before Glasto.  Any tips or tricks?

Obligatory: very excited to be 'one of us'.  Hope it lives up to the hype!

4-person-blackout-poled-tent-arpenaz-42-fresh-and-black.jpg

Put the model name/number into YouTube and you’ll find a few videos about it, I’m sure 👍

from the looks of it, I’d say it’ll be fairly easy to put up with two of you

So here’s a question. In the picture (where i’ve drawn the arrows) they have the black material outermost.

but… from having a play around with it, I think it works better if you tuck those inside underneath the porch groundsheet.

what say you fellow F&Bers?

7FE8A424-C64F-4111-8441-655F6EBDE36B.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

So here’s a question. In the picture (where i’ve drawn the arrows) they have the black material outermost.

but… from having a play around with it, I think it works better if you tuck those inside underneath the porch groundsheet.

what say you fellow F&Bers?

7FE8A424-C64F-4111-8441-655F6EBDE36B.jpeg

Keep them outside, if it rains, the water will run down the sides and away from the tent. 

10 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

The rain tends to pool on them instead, as there is nothing keeping them taut

Hmmm, not sure then. If you tucked them inside, wouldn’t the water pool at the bottom and then find it’s way in? I’ll have to try both ways and see how it goes!

50 minutes ago, Skelts said:

Hmmm, not sure then. If you tucked them inside, wouldn’t the water pool at the bottom and then find it’s way in? I’ll have to try both ways and see how it goes!

If it's raining hard enough / the ground is impervious enough that water is pooling on it, then tbh you're going to have water coming under regardless of what you do.

9 hours ago, incident said:

If it's raining hard enough / the ground is impervious enough that water is pooling on it, then tbh you're going to have water coming under regardless of what you do.

Sorry i didn’t explain well. Used it in the rain over the bank holiday. The pooling was just run off from the surface of the tent, but because the bottom flaps aren’t taut (no pegs holes in them) it allows the water to puddle on top of them. No water actually got in the tent. I might be totally wrong about tucking them in under the groundsheet being better for rain. It would definitely be better for liquid festival mud though.

I’ve had a few tents that I’ve made simple modifications to improve them so i don’t think the manufacturers always get it 100%.

I would definitely not have used plastic pole inserts for the feet as these will break easily in high winds. Better to have a pole break than the feet. Not much i can do about that so hopefully won’t happen.

In the doorway they gone for having the groundsheet flat (assume less of a trip hazard) but at a really rainy/muddy festival i’d be temped to thread some string through the eyelets to lift it up to make a lip at the front.

Edited by Twiggy553

16 hours ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Would putting the f&b up within a bell tent make it cooler, or warmer?!

A lot warmer. 

You’re removing the fresh part of the tent out of the equation. The sunlight won’t be reflecting off the surface of the bell tent so you would be in a furnace due to the extra surface area. 

The only benefit you would get is if it’s a really cold and wet night. The airgap between the tents would act like a thermos flask. Any heat in the inner tent will be maintained longer. 

I had the plastic feet go in a tent. Rather than scrap it I took it to a sailing repair shop and got them to punch metal eyelets (of the kind used to rig sails) into the webbing. Much stronger and improved the overall tautness of the outer sheet too

Edited by Twiggy553

36 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

In the doorway they gone for having the groundsheet flat (assume less of a trip hazard) but at a really rainy/muddy festival i’d be temped to thread some string through the eyelets to lift it up to make a lip at the front.

There should be a toggle on elastic to achieve just this, without the need for modification. When I opened mine last weekend, it was already hooked up to make the lip. Like at around 19mins of this video. 

4 hours ago, Skelts said:

There should be a toggle on elastic to achieve just this, without the need for modification. When I opened mine last weekend, it was already hooked up to make the lip.

Ooh thanks. I must’ve missed the toggle and assumed the eyelets were to peg it flat. will have a look next time I put it up!

On 5/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, Fred Zepplin said:

Gate A, it's not a long walk from there. Does depend on which car park though as its not far once you are inside the fence but some of the car parks are along walk. Hopefully I will get put in a close one since I think I will be doing 2 trips. You should join the facebook group for Glastonbury families. The full name is Glasto Mums, Dads and families. Got a lot of good advice on there. Quite a few people are doing what you are, camping by themselves and then being joined by kids or having the kids there first then staying for a few days by themselves. The stewards who are on the group are fine with people staying in the family area as long as the kids are there for some of the time, and as long as you aren't causing a racket when they have gone.

Anyone here a member of the Glasto Mums, Dads & Families Facebook group? My request to join has been pending for a week and I’ve messaged the group admin. 
is it an active group? I’m going with just my son so keen to chat to other families. 

I’ll start another thread and see if anyone can help. 

Edited by PassingCloud

5 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Anyone here a member of the Glasto Mums, Dads & Families Facebook group? My request to join has been pending for a week and I’ve messaged the group admin. 
is it an active group? I’m going with just my son so keen to chat to other families. 

If you start a thread on here I’m 

sure plenty of families will also chat 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

I tried the same a few weeks back and didn't get a response either. 

33 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

6 minutes ago, sam1981 said:

I tried the same a few weeks back and didn't get a response either. 

I’m a member. It took a while for my request to be actioned. If you want to PM your names and I will try and add you onto the group. I think I can do that, I’m sure my wife did it for herself on my Facebook 

• Thanks 1

Does anyone have the 2 man? Wanting to buy a fresh and black as I slept in one a few years back and the lie-ins were a game changer! Just wondering if the 2 man is spacious enough for x1 person plus bags? Or is it better to size up to the 3 man? Appreciate any advice 🙂

Just now, dougal1 said:

Does anyone have the 2 man? Wanting to buy a fresh and black as I slept in one a few years back and the lie-ins were a game changer! Just wondering if the 2 man is spacious enough for x1 person plus bags? Or is it better to size up to the 3 man? Appreciate any advice 🙂

I use the 3 man alone to have the extra space. Tent sizes are based on packing average sized people in like sardines. Two man can work for one person but you will be sleeping right next to your bags with no wriggle room. They’re only 1.3 m wide. 

The cost and weight isn’t that much different between the two and three man anyway. The extra £15 you will pay for the slightly larger tent will make a lot of difference if you feel that you need it. 

13 minutes ago, dougal1 said:

I have the 3 man  Fresh and Black for myself, its enough for me (I'm 6ft 2 and 16 stone), my kit and a little bit of extra room as well..can get a couple of extra people in there to sit in there if the weather turns south or a late night smoke before bed..........a mate of mine has the two man and he found it a little cramped when we went to BoomTown in 2019.  Was enough for him to lie down and put his kit on the other side but nothing else.

13 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I use the 3 man alone to have the extra space. Tent sizes are based on packing average sized people in like sardines. Two man can work for one person but you will be sleeping right next to your bags with no wriggle room. They’re only 1.3 m wide. 

The cost and weight isn’t that much different between the two and three man anyway. The extra £15 you will pay for the slightly larger tent will make a lot of difference if you feel that you need it. 

Thanks for this! I think the extra £15 is definitely worth it for the space, it was just the extra 1kg to carry on top of everything else which was putting me off. I'm dreading the walk from the coach now being used to camping next to the car at Aussie festivals 😫 I think the 3 man is a good investment longer term though so just need to brave the weight!