New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

29 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

My one reservation is that I love having a camp bed, and bar the 4 man+ tents, I don't know if the clearance is there to have it? I don't want to get the 4 man one, purely as I'm not carrying my own tent in and there is only me in it! I'm used to having bigger tents though, but usually sharing!

I was/am strongly considering the one below, but my nearest decathlon have none up and I'd be chancing it (for reference my camp bed is only 20cm high).

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-331796

I'm waiting on the Brothers Cider tent first too, to see what it's like.

I use a 19.5cm high / 190cm long camp bed with my F+B pop up (which has very similar dimensions to that) and don't have a problem. I don't try and sit upright on the bed though.

Worst case scenario is you can always go diagonal and gain a bit more space that way.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

I use a 19.5cm high / 190cm long camp bed with my F+B pop up (which has very similar dimensions to that) and don't have a problem. I don't try and sit upright on the bed though.

Worst case scenario is you can always go diagonal and gain a bit more space that way.

iamproudofyou-my-hero.gif

Thank you, I've been waiting for someone to reassure me! 😂 I was looking at the pop up ones but wanted a bigger porch (I think). My other tent is a huge 6 man, 2 metre tall job!

5 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Aye she's out and seems in good shape. Now to sort airbed of some sort and weather I need an awning 

20220508_124147.jpg

I’ve got this and it’s brilliant. There are 2 adults and 2 kids in it this year and we can squeeze in 2 double mattresses. Problem is the porch isn’t big enough to store all you need for 4 people. We have a sort a gazebo thing that is fully enclosed which we are putting directly in front to act like a big porch to keep everything in

1 hour ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I’ve got this and it’s brilliant. There are 2 adults and 2 kids in it this year and we can squeeze in 2 double mattresses. Problem is the porch isn’t big enough to store all you need for 4 people. We have a sort a gazebo thing that is fully enclosed which we are putting directly in front to act like a big porch to keep everything in

Yeah I got an airbase seconds that acts like a gazebo but dam its heavy and depending where I park will determine if it comes with me or not 

maxresdefault-1.jpg

13 hours ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Yeah I got an airbase seconds that acts like a gazebo but dam its heavy and depending where I park will determine if it comes with me or not 

maxresdefault-1.jpg

Mine is similar but it has poles, not air. It is heavy but I don't think I have any choice really. I need the space for storage and if, I know it won't but if it does rain I'm going to need some space for my kids to sit. They are bound to wake up at 5 or 6am and need a dry space to keep them entertained

• Upvote 1

Decided to grab a F&B on the back of the hype.  Used to have an old Coleman Bedrock which was great for the flight from Dublin (and the walking) as it was only 2.5kgs but a glasshouse if it ever got sunny and it would leak if it wasn't pegged completely taught.  Had to get the 3P F&B poled as Dublin Decathalon was out of the 2P so it is a bit heavier than I'd have liked.   Got some lightweight pegs on the way to take shave a little weight off.  

Is it safe to do a bit of customisation with markers or highlighters on the outside of the tent?  Don't want to compromise the waterproofing or anything.  By the sounds of things the festival is just going to be a sea of these identical tents so want to keep too many lost travellers from insisting I am in their tent (and to avoid the scenario where they're right!).

23 minutes ago, snipe said:

Decided to grab a F&B on the back of the hype.  Used to have an old Coleman Bedrock which was great for the flight from Dublin (and the walking) as it was only 2.5kgs but a glasshouse if it ever got sunny and it would leak if it wasn't pegged completely taught.  Had to get the 3P F&B poled as Dublin Decathalon was out of the 2P so it is a bit heavier than I'd have liked.   Got some lightweight pegs on the way to take shave a little weight off.  

Is it safe to do a bit of customisation with markers or highlighters on the outside of the tent?  Don't want to compromise the waterproofing or anything.  By the sounds of things the festival is just going to be a sea of these identical tents so want to keep too many lost travellers from insisting I am in their tent (and to avoid the scenario where they're right!).

I said this to one of my friends the other week, we had them at BoomTown 2019 and hardly anyone else had them but when I went to Beautiful Days last year I saw loads.....worried that everyone is going to have the same tent now and I won't be able to recognise mine anymore! 😄 

Edited by gooner1990

Gave in and bought one of these bad boys. Tested putting it up in the garden at the weekend, hardly any arguments. Missus also got in, did the zip up and said "come in here, it's really dark!". So overall a great success. Thanks all.

image.thumb.jpeg.9be3ad094f52aaea24e161f27deae553.jpeg

• Like 1

Someone posted here a while back that they came home to find someone had "relieved themselves" in his tent. With that in mind and now with the thoughts of so many FnB tents, what do people think about using a small lock?

My fear has always been that if I put a lock on a tent some asshole might take this as being an indication of there being something worth robbing inside.

Edited by TheDayman

7 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Someone posted here a while back that they came home to find someone had "relieved themselves" in his tent. With that in mind and now with the thoughts of so many FnB tents, what do people think about using a small lock?

My fear has always been that if I put a lock on a tent some asshole might take this as being an indication of there being something worth robbing inside.

I think you’re overthinking it mate. Efestivals isn’t reflective of the whole festival, most people won’t have these tents. Plus, I highly doubt the person that used someone’s tent as a toilet did it in there because they thought it was their own tent. The padlock is definitely likely to indicate something is worth nicking too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Mine is similar but it has poles, not air. It is heavy but I don't think I have any choice really. I need the space for storage and if, I know it won't but if it does rain I'm going to need some space for my kids to sit. They are bound to wake up at 5 or 6am and need a dry space to keep them entertained

Decided to take mine now if it means an extra run then so be it. Think for the extra room it's worth it although slightly concerned people will think it's taking liberties with space 

2 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Decided to take mine now if it means an extra run then so be it. Think for the extra room it's worth it although slightly concerned people will think it's taking liberties with space 

I was concerned about that as well. When I put it up in front of my tent it is only slightly longer than my old 6 man tent that I use to take. It's either take it or just buy a bigger tent and really don't want to spend money on another tent. I am going to be in family camping in Wicket which doesn't get to full. I also mentioned it on the Facebook Glasto family group and a lady who is steward in Wicket said it would be fine. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I was concerned about that as well. When I put it up in front of my tent it is only slightly longer than my old 6 man tent that I use to take. It's either take it or just buy a bigger tent and really don't want to spend money on another tent. I am going to be in family camping in Wicket which doesn't get to full. I also mentioned it on the Facebook Glasto family group and a lady who is steward in Wicket said it would be fine. 

Sweet cheers, aiming for wicket as well I'm going solo until Thursday when my daughter is coming up so I have the added stress of being on my own in family camp for 48 hours. I emailed the festival and they said it's cool just show the email from them. 

Just out of interest what gate are you aiming for? 

2 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

Gave in and bought one of these bad boys. Tested putting it up in the garden at the weekend, hardly any arguments. Missus also got in, did the zip up and said "come in here, it's really dark!". So overall a great success. Thanks all.

Is that the Arpenaz 5.2? We are family of 4, would the size be about right?

20 minutes ago, Respectfatfrog said:

Sweet cheers, aiming for wicket as well I'm going solo until Thursday when my daughter is coming up so I have the added stress of being on my own in family camp for 48 hours. I emailed the festival and they said it's cool just show the email from them. 

Just out of interest what gate are you aiming for? 

Gate A, it's not a long walk from there. Does depend on which car park though as its not far once you are inside the fence but some of the car parks are along walk. Hopefully I will get put in a close one since I think I will be doing 2 trips. You should join the facebook group for Glastonbury families. The full name is Glasto Mums, Dads and families. Got a lot of good advice on there. Quite a few people are doing what you are, camping by themselves and then being joined by kids or having the kids there first then staying for a few days by themselves. The stewards who are on the group are fine with people staying in the family area as long as the kids are there for some of the time, and as long as you aren't causing a racket when they have gone.

4 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

Gate A, it's not a long walk from there. Does depend on which car park though as its not far once you are inside the fence but some of the car parks are along walk. Hopefully I will get put in a close one since I think I will be doing 2 trips. You should join the facebook group for Glastonbury families. The full name is Glasto Mums, Dads and families. Got a lot of good advice on there. Quite a few people are doing what you are, camping by themselves and then being joined by kids or having the kids there first then staying for a few days by themselves. The stewards who are on the group are fine with people staying in the family area as long as the kids are there for some of the time, and as long as you aren't causing a racket when they have gone.

Cheers pal think I'm already a member but will take a read 

20 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

My one reservation is that I love having a camp bed, and bar the 4 man+ tents, I don't know if the clearance is there to have it? I don't want to get the 4 man one, purely as I'm not carrying my own tent in and there is only me in it! I'm used to having bigger tents though, but usually sharing!

I was/am strongly considering the one below, but my nearest decathlon have none up and I'd be chancing it (for reference my camp bed is only 20cm high).

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-331796

I'm waiting on the Brothers Cider tent first too, to see what it's like.

I don't have space in my garden to put mine up, otherwise I'd check for you.  Would it help if I took some snaps next time I'm in my local Decathlon?

Has anyone bought any sort of blackout liner (or similar) for a tent before? or any other tips welcome! 

We have a good tent which is dark inside, but not blackout. This is normally more than fine but just conscious of maximising lie-ins, both temperature and light wise, due to the late nights. 

22 hours ago, TheDayman said:

Well worth it mate. I got the older model way back when and it's still going strong after 5 or so years of festivals. Upgraded this year because the other half wanted more room to change but honestly would have happily continued with it, they're fantastic.

Great, cheers man - definitely seems worth it then, been looking ages for a decent tent that won't die after just 1 festival!

1 hour ago, Cam91 said:

Has anyone bought any sort of blackout liner (or similar) for a tent before? or any other tips welcome! 

We have a good tent which is dark inside, but not blackout. This is normally more than fine but just conscious of maximising lie-ins, both temperature and light wise, due to the late nights. 

Adding a liner is interesting but I'd be careful. If you were either adding an inner liner or an outer layer that caused the tent to sag in parts you could get the inner tent/liner and flysheet touching and condensation dripping into your tent. 

In the past there's been talk on the forums about using space blankets/foil blankets stuck on the outside of your tent to give it a reflective layer to try and bounce heat away from the tent. It makes sense in theory but if you do it too tightly you're more likely to interfere with your tent's ventilation (I tried it once and even with the reflective side facing out the extra layer felt like I was keeping body heat inside the tent as much as I was keeping the morning sun out) and if you do it too loosely then it makes an absolute racket in the wind. You can solve the noise problem yourself with earplugs, but neighbours might not appreciate it! It's also a little bit antisocial as you're kind of setting up a mirror to bounce the heat and light at your neighbours instead of your own tent.

I suppose pitching a tarp or fabric over your tent but with enough of a structure to support it independently of the tent would work well, but then you'd be bringing almost two tents…

It won't help with the temperature, but an eye mask helps with the light issue. You can also try and optimise the tent's ventilation, for example leaving the front door open slightly at the top (if it's dry) to try and get more of a breeze as air enters the tent from the back vents and leaves through the front ones. Or pitch in the morning shadow of someone with a giant tent and let them absorb some of the heat and light for you? 😄 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

Is that this one? 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/5-person-blackout-poled-tent-arpenaz-5-2-fresh-black/_/R-p-301124?mc=8500620

Looks like the porch overhangs enough to stop the rain getting in too much (not that there's going to be any rain of course 😎) when you get in and out...? I've had a few tents that slant back meaning the inside door area is soaking. 😏