New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

20 hours ago, ErnestWorthing said:

I went for the 3 person poled version.  For £65 it seems well worth it for the extra sleep, if it's rubbish I'll be back here blaming you kids!  I did try a self inflating mat one year but didn't get on with it, wasn't thick enough against the hard floor.  Has technology moved them on?

I’ve acquired a hand me down tent from a family member that I reckon will do the job. However, this tent continues to enter my thoughts regularly. Has anyone else bought this one and can absolutely convince me that I need it in my life for Glastonbury 2022…?

9 hours ago, Dan Eazy said:

Saw some of you discussing beds, so thought I'd share my solution.

Thermarest Prolite atop an Atepa Motocot.The bed only weighs 3kgs and being off the ground keeps you warm and comfortable. 20220505_145844.thumb.jpg.e7e24496221616c27108a48a4e10a4ad.jpg20220505_151716.thumb.jpg.a0fe872dd15c1e60b22ba95205e1e6ae.jpg20220505_153254.thumb.jpg.4869741f6ff8b51c0d2f78185c68f224.jpg20220505_153312.thumb.jpg.59edd32500ae4c76b02dfa6b24b27f06.jpg

At a cost of around £200, this setup should be absolutely be comfortable. I just couldn't justify that kind of expense for something I'm only using one week per year. I'd be more likely to consider a budget camping bed and perhaps a foam mat on top though, on the principle that it might cost more than getting a new airbed but would almost certainly last much, much longer.

I wish a camp bed was an option as I’d definitely consider it. Even if I could find one that my feet wouldn’t hang off the end of, it would never fit in a normal sized tent that can be carried easily. 

I’ll stick to sleeping diagonally on a double airbed. 

I've had a fresh and black for a few years now and it's lovely coming to this thread and seeing all the evangelism going on! 😄 

Have we discussed inner-tent lighting yet? In any other forum I'd say 'or is that taking it too far?' but this is a 30 page forum thread on a particular manufacturer's particular range of a particular type of product so I think we're all good!

The blackout lining can make it pretty dark in the tent for the day which can be a pain when you're trying to find something. I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0198VDWPQ/ref=twister_B07Z5GDQG9 (I actually got a copycat version on AliExpress for much cheaper, without realising it was a knockoff at the time) and it's really bright. It's great for the daytime but a bit much for at night.

At night I use one of those copper wire LED strings that you can run off a USB power bank, something like this. They're super cheap and a really nice light for the evenings/early mornings.

I like the strings of light rather than a lantern style light as you can string them up from the front to the back of the tent so it gives more even lighting 🙂 

Edited by offmytrolley

36 minutes ago, offmytrolley said:

I've had a fresh and black for a few years now and it's lovely coming to this thread and seeing all the evangelism going on! 😄 

Have we discussed inner-tent lighting yet? In any other forum I'd say 'or is that taking it too far?' but this is a 30 page forum thread on a particular manufacturer's particular range of a particular type of product so I think we're all good!

The blackout lining can make it pretty dark in the tent for the day which can be a pain when you're trying to find something. I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0198VDWPQ/ref=twister_B07Z5GDQG9 (I actually got a copycat version on AliExpress for much cheaper, without realising it was a knockoff at the time) and it's really bright. It's great for the daytime but a bit much for at night.

At night I use one of those copper wire LED strings that you can run off a USB power bank, something like this. They're super cheap and a really nice light for the evenings/early mornings.

I like the strings of light rather than a lantern style light as you can string them up from the front to the back of the tent so it gives more even lighting 🙂 

I've gone for one of these: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/camping-lamp-bl200-rechargeable-200-lumens/_/R-p-324939?mc=8584584

And I'll also have a few of this kind of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NL1J9V4/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_8B5RT0XW0QXWFA885VFE

(Usually end up wearing them around) 😁

11 minutes ago, Dan Eazy said:

Wish I hadn't seen that – I want one now! 😄 200 lumens is great, and I like that it has that low-light red mode to save your eyes in the night, very nice 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I forget how damn easy these are to set up … less than 5 mins …. Needs a few more pegs … just giving it it’s annual waterproof spray 

image.jpg

Lovely stuff, is there a waterproof spray you’d recommend or are they all about the same?

6 minutes ago, savethatjek said:

Lovely stuff, is there a waterproof spray you’d recommend or are they all about the same?

This was about £6 from Amazon … if it’s new it won’t need it … it’s traditional I do mine while giving it a check over and concentrate on the seams … wasn’t quite enough 

image.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bza said:

Put the up the new tent in the garden yesterday (Arpenaz 4.1 Fresh and Black) and had a night in it to test the F&B technology.

Its bloody great. Kept most of the morning light out and whilst it's not a complete blackout, its enough not to wake you at sunrise. Wasn't the warmest morning but yesterday it was roasting and the sleeping area was relatively cool for most of the day.

Excuse the photo 🤣

20220507_142208.jpeg

Just got the same model and used it for the first time this weekend down near Weymouth.

can safely say I’ll never camp in any other brand again! Came back to the tent late afternoon yesterday when it had been hot & sunny all day. Our old tent would have been unbearable but the new one was fine, just a bit ‘warm’, not at all uncomfortable. 

And the blackout bedroom kept me asleep till 9.30 this morning which would have been impossible in our old one. 

Anyone thinking of getting one, think no more. It really is a game changer. @Dan Eazy paging you so you can see the review above. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

Just got the same model and used it for the first time this weekend down near Weymouth.

can safely say I’ll never camp in any other brand again! Came back to the tent late afternoon yesterday when it had been hot & sunny all day. Our old tent would have been unbearable but the new one was fine, just a bit ‘warm’, not at all uncomfortable. 

And the blackout bedroom kept me asleep till 9.30 this morning which would have been impossible in our old one. 

Anyone thinking of getting one, think no more. It really is a game changer. @Dan Eazy paging you so you can see the review above. 

Nice one! Excitement levels are now approaching critical levels! 😀

5 hours ago, tumbles said:

Given my new 3 man it’s inaugural airing on the back lawn. Nice and cool inside 

488B9A45-8299-48AC-9F83-6DBF3925A717.thumb.jpeg.890a14903f11e531b0ef4f7aa1318f06.jpeg

Is that one of the new more sustainable range (recycled materials, 50% dye, etc)? I've been holding off getting one as there were no reviews on the website (now actually 2 but not in english) which made me nervous. However, I guess this will become the standard replacement because it looks like they have taken the listing for the old one down, so I picked one of these up yesterday - hope the quality is as good as the previous range! I'm yet to do the garden erection...

It's this one for reference https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-331796?mc=8641758&c=BROWN_BEIGE

48 minutes ago, Lakey91 said:

Is that one of the new more sustainable range (recycled materials, 50% dye, etc)? I've been holding off getting one as there were no reviews on the website (now actually 2 but not in english) which made me nervous. However, I guess this will become the standard replacement because it looks like they have taken the listing for the old one down, so I picked one of these up yesterday - hope the quality is as good as the previous range! I'm yet to do the garden erection...

It's this one for reference https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-331796?mc=8641758&c=BROWN_BEIGE

This was mine, I think it’s a older model?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100-fresh-black/_/R-p-313085?mc=8576111

6 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Would you recommend the tent? In the market for a new one, looking at the site it looks pretty decent - and is it relatively straight forward to set up? Cheers in advance!

My one reservation is that I love having a camp bed, and bar the 4 man+ tents, I don't know if the clearance is there to have it? I don't want to get the 4 man one, purely as I'm not carrying my own tent in and there is only me in it! I'm used to having bigger tents though, but usually sharing!

I was/am strongly considering the one below, but my nearest decathlon have none up and I'd be chancing it (for reference my camp bed is only 20cm high).

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/3-person-blackout-poled-tent-mh100xl-fresh-black/_/R-p-331796

I'm waiting on the Brothers Cider tent first too, to see what it's like.

Edited by vintagelaureate

17 minutes ago, stanh said:

Would you recommend the tent? In the market for a new one, looking at the site it looks pretty decent - and is it relatively straight forward to set up? Cheers in advance!

It’s good quality for the money yep, takes about 5 minutes to put up.  I haven’t actually slept in it during warm weather yet so I can’t comment on the specifics but most on this thread swear by them. The only thing I don’t like is it doesn’t come with the best bag.. well it’s not a bag just something that sort sits in with bands to wrap around 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tumbles said:

It’s good quality for the money yep, takes about 5 minutes to put up.  I haven’t actually slept in it during warm weather yet so I can’t comment on the specifics but most on this thread swear by them. The only thing I don’t like is it doesn’t come with the best bag.. well it’s not a bag just something that sort sits in with bands to wrap around 

Awesome, cheers mate! My current tent is just a cheap one, but this seems like a worthwhile investment then - can always just reuse the bag from one of my other ones to make up for the lack of bag to carry it in. But from a look at this thread and the reviews on the site it looks like a perfect festival tent for me

1 hour ago, Lakey91 said:

My daughter bought this exact one yesterday. Put it up today, seems perfect

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stanh said:

Awesome, cheers mate! My current tent is just a cheap one, but this seems like a worthwhile investment then - can always just reuse the bag from one of my other ones to make up for the lack of bag to carry it in. But from a look at this thread and the reviews on the site it looks like a perfect festival tent for me

Well worth it mate. I got the older model way back when and it's still going strong after 5 or so years of festivals. Upgraded this year because the other half wanted more room to change but honestly would have happily continued with it, they're fantastic.

• Thanks 1