New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

5 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm going to be sleeping in a normal tent tonight (Glastonbury Bell) at Worthy Pastures. First time since 2014 - not looking forward to waking up at five and not being able to get back to sleep...

If they are made of decent thickness canvas then you should be fine, canvas tents don't heat up like plastic ones do.

Wondering re the fresh and blacks as my old one is looking rather tired (and vomitty after a crazy last night for my tentmate at Boardmasters this weekend), how easy are the pop-ups to put away? Are they an absolute pain or completely fine? He said he will buy a new one but I am trying to decide whether to put the £20 on top in to get us a pop-up

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Wondering re the fresh and blacks as my old one is looking rather tired (and vomitty after a crazy last night for my tentmate at Boardmasters this weekend), how easy are the pop-ups to put away? Are they an absolute pain or completely fine? He said he will buy a new one but I am trying to decide whether to put the £20 on top in to get us a pop-up

A fucking pain. At least the first gen ones are. I think they have some new ones that are a lot easier, probably a video on this thread somewhere.

4 hours ago, gfa said:

I have got the new 3xl one and it is much easier to put away than any other pop up I’ve had. 

last festival I was working a night shift on the Saturday and managed to sleep until 1pm. They are a lifesaver

5 hours ago, gfa said:

I am on my 2nd fresh and black. 1st one was a pop up and was a nightmare to put away, made worse by it being a muddy year.  That and the fact it was too small was why I got rid of it in favour of a bigger inflatable one- much better 

13 hours ago, dondo said:

I am on my 2nd fresh and black. 1st one was a pop up and was a nightmare to put away, made worse by it being a muddy year.  That and the fact it was too small was why I got rid of it in favour of a bigger inflatable one- much better 

Yeah i helped someone put up an inflatable one, seemed very quick and easy but costs quite a bit. Reckon i'll just stick with a basic model.

if youre putting one up by yourself, then the popup ones are absolutely magic for this; no pissing around with poles and impossible little lines to put them in, its just peg down the back - pump up the poles - and wallop, you're sorted. They're absolutely great things. 

3 hours ago, gfa said:

Yeah i helped someone put up an inflatable one, seemed very quick and easy but costs quite a bit. Reckon i'll just stick with a basic model.

Yes are a bit pricier but I had some Decathlon gift vouchers to use so that was good. You can sometimes pick them up reduced too, especially if you are near a store. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Does anyone have experience of these in slightly colder temperatures? I’m going to End of the Road in a couple of weeks where I hear it can get very cold overnight. This isn’t going to make that worse, is it??

No, it'll be fine. I've used mine for several years. I've never felt cold at EotR compared to other festivals although it is on high ground and if you get a clear night it can get a bit nippy.  

But as someone who once went to Lindisfarne festival on the same weekend, where the wind came in direct off the North Sea, then maybe I'm not best placed to comment.

Edited by Copperface
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2021 at 5:16 PM, gfa said:

Honestly never had a problem with mine, though I watched a 5 min video beforehand which explained it all before me. Once you get the hang of it it's really easy - though sometimes it does feel like you're braking it when you twist it around and fold it!

On 8/18/2021 at 5:16 PM, gfa said:

They are fine as long as you learn the "knack" of how to put them away properly. Watch a youtube guide and practice in your garden beforehand if possible. I've had 3 Quechua popups and it's really easy if you know what you're doing.

Also to add, took one of these to Latitude (3XL) and slept in much longer than my campmates every morning.

2 hours ago, dj_tim said:

Are they an absolute pain or completely fine?

Fine. I've got an old one and basically, there are 3 stages - clipping red and yellow clips together and then the magic bit.

The knack is: once you've done the clips, pause, enhance your calm and whisper to it that you're its friend and you've loved your time together. Also, make sure it's lovely and round and everything tucked in. Then when pushing down twist your hand so you make the figure of 8 on the ground. Then without any fear fold it over, it'll be fine. Get the strap over it and then figure out why the bag is smaller than it was when you took it out. If you fail on the twist-to-figure of 8. Start again, don't fight it.

The pop up ones aren't difficult or tricky to take down - it's not like you'll do it and get it wrong. But you just have to learn how to do it. You can do that in half an hour in the garden with a few YouTube videos. If you buy it and take it straight to a festival and then try and take it down hungover in the morning using the diagrams on the bag you'll struggle!

It's like riding a bike. Piece of piss if you know how but requires a bit of effort to learn in the first place. If you've never learned you'll fall right off!

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Aha. Came on here looking for just this info:

to confirm: fresh & black > canvas tent then in your experience?

I'm not sure if it was actually canvas, so much as just a big tent made of the normal plasticy material (nylon?).

But it was on the whole worse than Fresh &Black, but better than a normal small 3 man tent.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not sure if it was actually canvas, so much as just a big tent made of the normal plasticy material (nylon?).

But it was on the whole worse than Fresh &Black, but better than a normal small 3 man tent.

Ah thanks. Thanks to the old climate change, I get the feeling these 30c glastos are the new norm. I generally try to find a spot against the hedgerow in lime kiln or hitchens but its not always easy.

I’m actually not super fussed about the light myself, I can sleep through it no probs, but a tent that stays cool until midday, shade or no shade, would be a game changer.

• 2 weeks later...

I slept in all four mornings at Beautiful Days and was even good for a quick late afternoon nap one day.

Also like Crazyfool1 says - the bags are big enough to get the tent in easily when packing away.

Don't think I'll ever deviate away from these ever again, just a shame they weren't around for my first 20 years of festivalling!

• 6 months later...

I really want to get a Fresh and Black tent for this year, but need advice about which model to get. 

I come on my own on the Tuesday and by public transport, so it needs to be light enough to carry by myself (with all my gear for the week) and easy for a short woman to put up by herself.

Any recommendations please?