New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

19 hours ago, D-Low said:

Had the Coleman too and found it useless at keeping me cooler. Was great to have a blackout bedroom but as soon as the sun hit the tent at 6.30/7am I had to get out as it was far too sweaty. Subsequently returned it for a refund anyway as there was two tiny holes on the outer. Hopefully there will be some advances in tents again next year when I'm looking to re-purchase.

Just seen the latest 2 reviews on Amazon for our tent and people are saying they took it to Glastonbury and it was like a fucking oven! Which is what I found it to be like to be honest. So appears Coleman have failed miserably.

Have you sent it back yet? I may do the same, sure I can find some hole somewhere on it. 

There’s a clever ‘hack’ that’s common at Burning Man - the ultimate proving ground for heat death :)

Bring your own shade structure to go over the tent. E.g. a small gazebo, set up to give your tent shade in the morning (may need minor tweaks on the first morning).

Being placed mostly in the footprint of your tent, you aren’t being a space hog either.

5 hours ago, bigfurbdogg said:

Just seen the latest 2 reviews on Amazon for our tent and people are saying they took it to Glastonbury and it was like a fucking oven! Which is what I found it to be like to be honest. So appears Coleman have failed miserably.

Have you sent it back yet? I may do the same, sure I can find some hole somewhere on it. 

Ha I'm not surprised. Yeah posted it on Tuesday so hopefully they do refund when it arrives, they said they would on chat. Will let you know how it goes.

3 hours ago, paulo999 said:

There’s a clever ‘hack’ that’s common at Burning Man - the ultimate proving ground for heat death :)

Bring your own shade structure to go over the tent. E.g. a small gazebo, set up to give your tent shade in the morning (may need minor tweaks on the first morning).

Being placed mostly in the footprint of your tent, you aren’t being a space hog either.

That's actually a decent idea. And as you said wouldn't take up much space if situated over your own tent. Might be a though to consider in future.

3 hours ago, D-Low said:

Ha I'm not surprised. Yeah posted it on Tuesday so hopefully they do refund when it arrives, they said they would on chat. Will let you know how it goes.

You should be ok by the sound of things, hope you get the money back mate. 

I’ve refunded on basis that ‘it was defective or didn’t work’. Said how it was boiling and often my friends ‘non blackout’ tents were a lot cooler. Sending it tomorrow, so fingers crossed they refund it. Not 100% sure they will tho ? 

I looked for hole in it, but there wasn’t one and I wasn’t about to damage a perfectly good (if not too hot!) tent.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 12:26 AM, bigfurbdogg said:

You should be ok by the sound of things, hope you get the money back mate. 

I’ve refunded on basis that ‘it was defective or didn’t work’. Said how it was boiling and often my friends ‘non blackout’ tents were a lot cooler. Sending it tomorrow, so fingers crossed they refund it. Not 100% sure they will tho ? 

I looked for hole in it, but there wasn’t one and I wasn’t about to damage a perfectly good (if not too hot!) tent.

Did you ever get a refund? I am on the fence as to either try a blackout tent or just buy a battery operated fan. I bought a cheap tent for Glasto and it did quite a good job keeping cool in a small breeze. I am a little concerned about how it would handle the rain. Gonna try a festival in September. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Did you ever get a refund? I am on the fence as to either try a blackout tent or just buy a battery operated fan. I bought a cheap tent for Glasto and it did quite a good job keeping cool in a small breeze. I am a little concerned about how it would handle the rain. Gonna try a festival in September. 

Yes, got a full refund! Was shocked at how easy it went through to be honest, as the tent had quite clearly been used for Glastonbury!

I haven't bought a replacement tent yet, however after reading the comments in here from everyone who used one of the Quechua Fresh & Blacks i will get one of them i reckon. They seem quite reasonably priced as well, compared to the coleman that i got and subsequently returned.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:17 PM, gooner1990 said:

Went and bought this at Decathlon in Oxford today.

look forward to using it at Truck festival in three weeks. ?

Managed to get 8 hours sleep a night at Truck Festival!

tent did eventually get warm but as others have said it fends off that early morning heat for an extra 2-3 hours and you can still chill in it in the daytime if needed as it’s not dripping in there! 

Complete game changer, just a shame I didn’t have it for the previous 60 festivals I’ve done over the last 20 years! 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Can anyone help? Used my fresh and black at Truck Festival no issue since Ben at BoomTown and Pilton party the poles won’t sit straight and the whole thing is sequiff...

Looks to me like that's the inner atrium of the tent and the hooks don't go round the pole, they go through loops on the outer shell of the tent. The outer shell has piping where you thread the poles through. Where is your outer shell?

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

No hooks for it to clip on to 

Ah, my apologies - I was going off experience with a different tent I had where I once put it up wrong and it looked like your first picture, but it seems this one is designed for the hooks to go around the poles.

I'm afraid I have no clue with this one then.

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ah, my apologies - I was going off experience with a different tent I had where I once put it up wrong and it looked like your first picture, but it seems this one is designed for the hooks to go around the poles.

I'm afraid I have no clue with this one then.

I’m going to decathlon on Monday and asking for help!

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

I’m going to decathlon on Monday and asking for help!

You haven't said what tent it is, but just search for it on YouTube and you'll find assembly videos from Quechua and Decathlon.  Given how saggy that is, I'd say you've either picked up the wrong poles when you were last packing away, or you're using the porch pole instead of one of the main tent poles.

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

You haven't said what tent it is, but just search for it on YouTube and you'll find assembly videos from Quechua and Decathlon.  Given how saggy that is, I'd say you've either picked up the wrong poles when you were last packing away, or you're using the porch pole instead of one of the main tent poles.

The porch pole is red....I’m 99.9% sure it’s not the wrong poles as we’ve measured them. 

Its the Quechua Arpenaz 3 XL

I've looked at a couple of YouTube videos, and it looks as though you might want to peg the black inner tent out so it's tightly stretched out on the ground before you start putting the poles in.  Your 2nd and 3rd photos seem to show your groundsheet lifting up off the ground, which in turn makes it saggy at the top.  If you peg it out tighter, this should solve it.  Also, your last photo seems to show you've clipped the top (blue) hook onto the lower of the two poles.  If you hook it onto the upper one, that will both lift the inner tent higher, and help hold the two poles together at the top.

• 2 months later...

Hi there I'm trying to figure out a good all-round tent for 1 but my issues are: I need to be able to stand up in it (I'm 5'4" but still) and it needs to fit a single blowup mattress without touching the sides. Also it being black out, but I'm wondering how much using emergency blankets will work instead. I was looking at a Coleman cabin and read what people have said but no mention of taping a couple of emergency blankets to the top. Since Glastonbury can be a desert and monsoon in the same week I figured this would be the best place to ask. Looking to buy in Black Friday sales.  Oh I'm currently in the US so can buy here or in UK.

Edited by nicolewsd

12 minutes ago, nicolewsd said:

Hi there I'm trying to figure out a good all-round tent for 1 but my issues are: I need to be able to stand up in it (I'm 5'4" but still) and it needs to fit a single blowup mattress without touching the sides. Also it being black out, but I'm wondering how much using emergency blankets will work instead. I was looking at a Coleman cabin and read what people have said but no mention of taping a couple of emergency blankets to the top. Since Glastonbury can be a desert and monsoon in the same week I figured this would be the best place to ask. Looking to buy in Black Friday sales.  Oh I'm currently in the US so can buy here or in UK.

youve posted in the right thread ... fresh and black is the way to go .... and decathlon have some great deals on black friday thats where i got mine last year ... its a self inflator though and might be a bit bulky and heavy at 12kg ? Ive tried space blankets in the past and they have a small effect but they won't keep out the light as it gets light quite early in June .... decathlon is the website you need 

Taping space blankets to the top of tents is very ineffective.

All that will happen is you'll create something that makes a rustling noise in the breeze that will annoy you... and probably others around you too!

Quechua F&B is your answer.