New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Excellent stuff! Mine is sat in the corner of my front room cos I’ve not got a garden/had the weather/am naturally lazy. Good to see what they’re like up: any internal photos? 

Not the best photo unfortunately. But shows the campbed fitting in nicely. Nice and easy to put up. 

20956307-C4DE-4025-B77D-3BA63986DD1C.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 7:40 PM, Copperface said:

I used one of these last year at GF and with that heat it was a blessing. The actual porch isnt F&B but provided sufficient room for lots of gear and is big enough to sit in a chair if it's hoying it down. Mine was pitched quite far back on the tent but full size, would double the footprint of the pop up. Well recommended.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-gear-store-p367492

IMG_20170620_155723.jpg

IMG_20170620_155830.jpg

Is that the two man pop-up or four man? I'm looking for something like this just wanted to make sure it would fit!

• 3 months later...

So how did these hold up under those brutal conditions? Sounds like they had a proper test.

I'm interested as I'll be using mine for the first time at Boomtown this year. Hopefully we wont be dealing with similar temperatures but you never know. 

12 minutes ago, Henrik said:

So how did these hold up under those brutal conditions? Sounds like they had a proper test.

I'm interested as I'll be using mine for the first time at Boomtown this year. Hopefully we wont be dealing with similar temperatures but you never know. 

Albeit was the coolest morning of the weekend, but in a hungover stupor on Sunday morning I managed to sleep in the tent until about 11am without realising the time. Worked wonders whilst those I camped with were boiled out of their tents by around 8am, some of them using mine simply for shade when they needed somewhere to go. Second hot festival in a row that I've taken it to and it has proven an inspired buy.

Edited by Brownie30
  • Upvote 1

It was a definite success - Tuesday night and Sunday night I got an actual full eight hours of sleep, which is pretty much unimaginable (and kind of annoying, I was meant to be driving home much earlier than 11am ??

there was no stopping Saturday morning being boiling bloody hot, but I could still tell it was cooler in the tent than out. All things considered, they’re a bloody great tent. I love the blowup poles too, it’s an absolute breeze to put up on your own - a five minute job 

I used mine this year too and the blackout lining was great when it came to getting extra sleep and not being woken as soon as the sun comes up. As for the being cooler whilst it wasn't as baking hot as previous tents I've had it was still pretty warm inside. 

26 minutes ago, Henrik said:

I think @stuartbert two hats actually commented during the festival that his was roasting hot. 

I did indeed, however there is a happy ending. After posting, I spent some time fiddling with the air vents on the tent, like unzipping the inner door and the bottom of the outer door and within 20 mins I was back to comfortable temperatures.

The unforgiving physics of it is without a heat exchange of some sort, you can't stay cool when the air temperature is over twenty odd degrees at night, but even on Saturday morning after making that post, I managed to sleep past 10.

Having the vents open meant the tent wasn't as dark in the morning and I did have to wake briefly to adjust things to keep heat out rather than let the cool in (and I'm not sure if I was doing it right), but I went right back to sleep even with the sun beaming down pretty hard.

Basically, the problem I'd originally posted about would have been much less severe if I'd used the tent's ventilation features properly. But you can't hide from physics - I'd never need to worry about it before.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone actually tested this in challenging conditions? I get this Glasto was pretty hot but I go to a lot of festivals on the continent where the heat can be unbearable and there's no chance of sleeping past 8:30 am even with dual doors and a decent breeze.

Anyone tried these in August at a week long festival in ~35C temps?

Edited by dulcificum

One of these saved my life after my night shift. Massively recommend them if anyone's in need of a new tent. Not sure I'd have survived the festival without it. I didn't get back in after the shift until 7 and in years gone by the heat has woken me by 0930. I managed to get through until midday this year. 

Worked great for me - the only minor issue was being woken up by the heat at approx 8:30am Saturday morning - by which time most of the people around me in regular tents had already been long since forced outside. Opened the ventilation to let some fresh air in and was able to go back to sleep for a bit longer.

What I don't understand is why companies still make tents that aren't F+B or similar.

I didn’t have a Quechua Fresh and black tent but had the Coleman equivalent.

Slept in much longer than everyone else. The only time it was too hot was Saturday morning but once I got the tent open and a bit of breeze going though, it was comfortable enough to sit in.

I could even have a little lay down in there on Saturday afternoon which was the only time the heat got to me a little.

Never going back to a non blackout tent!