New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the Quechua base seconds pop-up for about 7 years and it is the best tent I've ever owned. I'm considering moving to the inflatable world and getting this one - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-family-42-xl-fb-id_8384151.html

anyone got it? It's essentially the same as what I have now, just inflatable and fresh and black. 

The 3 man inflatable has a small porch big enough for boots, beer and wet clothes etc. I seem to remember that being of of the deciding factors in going for inflatable rather than popup so I don't think the popup 3 man one does. I could be wrong about that bit though!

Edited by renrutbor
Spelling

Well I've taken a risk despite not seeing many reviews and bought this one 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-family-42-xl-fb-id_8384151.html

It's essentially the same as my Quechua Base Seconds 4.2 which I've had for about 7 years and is the best tent I've ever owned, so I'm quite excited for the inflatable fresh and black upgrade. 

On 17/05/2017 at 10:22 AM, defrio29 said:

Can anyone vouch for the 'cool' feature of  this tent? 

Don't really care about the dark thing as there are many other ways you can deal with that (sleeping mask), but I really can't deal with the morning/early afternoon heat inside my tent

Yes. Used it at Latitude last year. Temps of up to 23 degrees and my daughter was using the tent to cool down during the day. Much cooler than our other tents.

13 minutes ago, Waapster said:

Yes. Used it at Latitude last year. Temps of up to 23 degrees and my daughter was using the tent to cool down during the day. Much cooler than our other tents.

out of curiousity did you use the pop up one or just the normal one? wonder if there is any difference

On 4/10/2017 at 1:17 PM, Wakan Tanka said:

Took the plunge and bought this years version of the Fresh and Black :D

big_819a8982-548f-45a8-888f-786a6c48a14f.jpeg

Mate I camped with at BT last weekend had one of these. It was very sunny and warm in the mornings. I was baking in my regular tent by 6:30am but this stayed cool and dark throughout. Seemed to need a fuck off big pump but was up in no time.

53 minutes ago, MikeJ86 said:

I cant find where its posted, but someone suggested buying a vango gear store (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-gear-store-p367492) for tents without a porch area.

Has anyone tried one of these with the 3man pop-up black and fresh tents? Will it attach to the front at all? Or is there any other option to get a porch on the front? 

Was me and yes, that is exactly the combination I have - a three man F&B plus the gear store (£40 odd from ebay).

Was going to set it all up inside so will take some pics and post if wanted.

1 hour ago, phimill said:

They are good. I went on a month long camping trip to France and Italy a few years ago and used one of them, I had no problems. I kept me dry in the thunderstorms. Bit of a pain to fold back into it's bag but it won't let you down.

2 hours ago, Copperface said:

Was me and yes, that is exactly the combination I have - a three man F&B plus the gear store (£40 odd from ebay).

Was going to set it all up inside so will take some pics and post if wanted.

If you've got a pic thatd be great.

Set it up inside (or tried to) - not really enough room and not pegged out or any guys used so all looks saggy and floppy.Will all tighten up when pegged and guyed. However, bucketing down outside so don't want to get it all wet.

However, the Gear store fits the F&B three man pop up absolutely perfectly. There is a guy on the elasticated bit of the gear store that will, if needed attach to the rear of the tent to anchor it, but that should not be needed unless there is a howling wind.

The elasticated section on the store stretches to the exact dimensions of the F&B pop up tents. It will basically double the available space in the tent, although you can make it smaller by sliding it further back over the tent if you want.

You can easily sit in a camping chair in the extension. Cannot fully stand up, but you can if stooping. No groudsheet in the extension, but just take a big ikea bag or similar to put wet boots etc in. When weather improves going to do a full trial set up so might update then :)

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

• Upvote 1

I think I'm gonna get this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quick-hiker-3p-fb-tent-id_8386029.html

My mate has the popup one and says its great... But I don't fancy the Monday morning wrestle to get it back in the bag, nor the lack of porch. This has two (whilst twice as expensive I know...) My last tent was purchased in 1998 so I think I've had a good run with it!

I think I'm gonna get this one: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/quick-hiker-3p-fb-tent-id_8386029.html

My mate has the popup one and says its great... But I don't fancy the Monday morning wrestle to get it back in the bag, nor the lack of porch. This has two (whilst twice as expensive I know...) My last tent was purchased in 1998 so I think I've had a good run with it!

Edit: Just went to order it and its sold out :unsure:

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

Set it up inside (or tried to) - not really enough room and not pegged out or any guys used so all looks saggy and floppy.Will all tighten up when pegged and guyed. However, bucketing down outside so don't want to get it all wet.

However, the Gear store fits the F&B three man pop up absolutely perfectly. There is a guy on the elasticated bit of the gear store that will, if needed attach to the rear of the tent to anchor it, but that should not be needed unless there is a howling wind.

The elasticated section on the store stretches to the exact dimensions of the F&B pop up tents. It will basically double the available space in the tent, although you can make it smaller by sliding it further back over the tent if you want.

You can easily sit in a camping chair in the extension. Cannot fully stand up, but you can if stooping. No groudsheet in the extension, but just take a big ikea bag or similar to put wet boots etc in. When weather improves going to do a full trial set up so might update then :)

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

Is that an extension to the pop-up black out tent and if so where did you get it? Cheers

14 minutes ago, scho said:

Is that an extension to the pop-up black out tent and if so where did you get it? Cheers

Yes, it is a Vango Gear Store. It is not a Quechua bit of kit so not specifically designed for the Quechua tents, but is a universal fit. Got mine off ebay for around £40 delivered but they are around £60 in camping shops opnline and the cheapest i can find now on ebay is £50 delivered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Gear-Store-small-tent-extension-Cactus-Green-Porch-/331943353085?hash=item4d495d9afd:g:v1cAAOSw6n5XtDRk

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2017 at 11:51 PM, defrio29 said:

out of curiousity did you use the pop up one or just the normal one? wonder if there is any difference

Pop up but I very much doubt there is a difference in terms of heat. They both seem to be made of the same reflective fabric.

I'm very tempted by the F&B 3-man pop-up. Sounds like it's a godsend for those wanting to get to sleep at 6/7am in the heat. Gonna head down to Decathlon this weekend to have a nosey. 

Is it really that hard to pack away? Should I be able to get the knack of it after a few trial runs? I'm usually good with stuff like that, but after 5 days of murdering my brain cells, it may be a struggle.

Edited by StLewi

9 minutes ago, StLewi said:

Is it really that hard to pack away? Should I be able to get the knack of it after a few trial runs? I'm usually good with stuff like that, but after 5 days of murdering my brain cells, it may be a struggle.

It's really not that hard, at least not for the Quechua / Decathlon models. They've got a system whereby you essentially pull various bits into the right position, clip them together, and then there's a drawstring to take care of the final fold. They'll probably demonstrate it in the store if you ask - I'm making it sound more complicated than it is.

It's certainly a lot easier than the earlier models / other manufacturers that still require a bit of "technique". Takes me about 3 minutes from fully pitched up to fully bagged up and that's with my brain running at day-after-festival speed.

It's a bit fiddly but do it a few times, somewhere where you have access to watch the videos and it really is pretty straightforward once you have a bit of practice and as stated above the system and colouring these days make it a lot easier.