New Quechua "Fresh & Black" Tents

FrankieX

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried  to put my 3 man tent up and I have the following to report:

* My garden is too small!

* It's cool. Like, cooler than my house, and cooler than outside the tent, even with direct sunshine on it. I might even go as far to say it's 'fresh'. It was only 18c in the shade at the time, but felt much hotter than that in the sun. I honestly can't tell whether it would be bearable in 2010 levels of heat, but I'm fairly confident that it would be comfortable in an average Glastonbury morning.

* It's not black inside. Even given that I couldn't peg it down fully, it's clear that it wasn't going to be pitch black. Light comes in along the stitching and around the edges. However, it's not bright, it's significantly dimmer than a normal tent, well worth it, but black it's not. Fresh&Dim doesn't have the same ring to it.

* I've not yet managed to put it away successfully. This is my first pop-up tent, so I'll be watching YouTube videos and having another go later. If you've never used a pop-up before and you have to leave early, then I highly recommend a trial run. My coach leaves at 9:30, so I'm going to need a lot more practise!

If anyone has any specific questions, I'll try to answer them before I put it away later, but I've gone out for the day now.

YnA9nDY.jpg

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Just tried  to put my 3 man tent up and I have the following to report:

* My garden is too small!

* It's cool. Like, cooler than my house, and cooler than outside the tent, even with direct sunshine on it. I might even go as far to say it's 'fresh'. It was only 18c in the shade at the time, but felt much hotter than that in the sun. I honestly can't tell whether it would be bearable in 2010 levels of heat, but I'm fairly confident that it would be comfortable in an average Glastonbury morning.

* It's not black inside. Even given that I couldn't peg it down fully, it's clear that it wasn't going to be pitch black. Light comes in along the stitching and around the edges. However, it's not bright, it's significantly dimmer than a normal tent, well worth it, but black it's not. Fresh&Dim doesn't have the same ring to it.

* I've not yet managed to put it away successfully. This is my first pop-up tent, so I'll be watching YouTube videos and having another go later. If you've never used a pop-up before and you have to leave early, then I highly recommend a trial run. My coach leaves at 9:30, so I'm going to need a lot more practise!

If anyone has any specific questions, I'll try to answer them before I put it away later, but I've gone out for the day now.

YnA9nDY.jpg

Im thinking about getting this, only thing that put me off was the height of pop up tents and not being able to stand up getting ready. How is it in real life? Think it would be worth having one a bit smaller if it keeps cool in the morning, won't be spending a whole load of time in it anyway I suppose lol

2 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

Im thinking about getting this, only thing that put me off was the height of pop up tents and not being able to stand up getting ready. How is it in real life? Think it would be worth having one a bit smaller if it keeps cool in the morning, won't be spending a whole load of time in it anyway I suppose lol

No, you can't stand up while getting ready. I've never been one for massive tents anyway, since I usually have a tent to myself, so don't want to take up the space/carry too much.

Is it that hard to get changed sitting up?

Edit:I suppose you might not be as minging as me after a few days. Getting ready isn't a big part of my time at Glastonbury!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, you can't stand up while getting ready. I've never been one for massive tents anyway, since I usually have a tent to myself, so don't want to take up the space/carry too much.

Is it that hard to get changed sitting up?

Edit:I suppose you might not be as minging as me after a few days. Getting ready isn't a big part of my time at Glastonbury!

I'm usually there with another girl and we make a right mess with girly stuff, trying on outfits and all that crap so the more space the better lol.  going with the bf this time though so it'll literally be a quick wipe down and change and that's it. Think that tent will be great :) 

2 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

I'm usually there with another girl and we make a right mess with girly stuff, trying on outfits and all that crap so the more space the better lol.  going with the bf this time though so it'll literally be a quick wipe down and change and that's it. Think that tent will be great :) 

How tall is bf? I'm 5'10 and it's just about long enough for me. If he's much over 6' that could be a problem. Or if you are, I suppose. I'm being sexist!

Remove extra space.

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How tall is bf? I'm 5'10 and it's just about long enough for me. If he's much over 6' that could be a problem. Or if you are, I suppose. I'm being sexist!

Haha he's about same as you I think and I'm 5'4, plenty space 

45 minutes ago, pinkmolly226 said:

Stand up getting ready.... I always just get ready outside the tent if I've made it to the underwear stage.  It takes less than a minute and beets faffing around in the tent.  Embrace the nakedness:)

2 hours ago, Peroni said:

Stand up getting ready.... I always just get ready outside the tent if I've made it to the underwear stage.  It takes less than a minute and beets faffing around in the tent.  Embrace the nakedness:)

What happens in Glastonbury stays in Glastonbury. Unless you're caught on camera :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How tall is bf? I'm 5'10 and it's just about long enough for me. If he's much over 6' that could be a problem.

I've one of these and 6'3" but only me in it so looks like will be sleeping diagonally

20 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I finally got it away with help from this video:

just a little tip - those red clips at the 30 second mark, if you get them the wrong way round it throws a massive spanner in the works when try to pull it into the figure of 8 shape

what I've done is put a little black mark on one of the red clip ends and it's corresponding hole, it saves for a lot of trial and error when your packing it away and your mates are laughing at you

do the same with one of the yellow clips and you're golden

Edited by sloseph
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, sloseph said:

just a little tip - those red clips at the 30 second mark, if you get them the wrong way round it throws a massive spanner in the works when try to pull it into the figure of 8 shape

what I've done is put a little black mark on one of the red clip ends and it's corresponding hole, it saves for a lot of trial and error when your packing it away and your mates are laughing at you

do the same with one of the yellow clips and you're golden

Great tip.  That might have been what I did wrong the first time.  It definitely wasn't right when I was going just off the included instructions.

I've just given my inflatable tent a try albeit I didn't peg it out. It's a doddle to inflate, less than a minute. I didn't leave it up to see if there was a difference in temperature inside. As stubert said they aren't black inside think more curtains while its light outside. Ignore the fact that it isn't pegged out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I went to Decathlon today to try and get the inflatable 3 man one. Unfortunately they did not have one in. Where would be the best place for me to get one from?

Edit - Got one, got to go pick it up from Stockport.

Edited by eastynh

I just used a 3 man popup fresh and black at the Red Rooster festival. I can report:

Good Points: it is dark, it is cool, its a doddle to put up & down.

Bad points: it is very low, it would suit one person max at a festival, it has no porch, it is short (I'm only 5 foot 9 but was hitting the end occasionally), the darkness makes finding socks difficult. It has non-closable side vents for ventilation (or "howling wind" as it was last thursday.)

In short I'm back in the market for a Glasto tent. Its the lack of storage for wet/damp items that I missed most of all. I see Quechua do some pop-ups with a porch & groundsheet. That would be better. 

This tent would be ideal for camping in guaranteed sunshine, not necessarily at a festival with a (maybe unkind) reputation for mudbaths.

21 minutes ago, Robofish said:

I just used a 3 man popup fresh and black at the Red Rooster festival. I can report:

Bad points: it is very low, it would suit one person max at a festival, it has no porch, it is short (I'm only 5 foot 9 but was hitting the end occasionally), the darkness makes finding socks difficult. It has non-closable side vents for ventilation (or "howling wind" as it was last thursday.)

In short I'm back in the market for a Glasto tent. Its the lack of storage for wet/damp items that I missed most of all. I see Quechua do some pop-ups with a porch & groundsheet. That would be better. 

This tent would be ideal for camping in guaranteed sunshine, not necessarily at a festival with a (maybe unkind) reputation for mudbaths.

What kind of temperatures were there at Red Rooster?

30 minutes ago, Robofish said:

Thanks for this! I think this is why I want to go for the 3 man that has the temperature lowering abilities but doesn't leave you in darkness. As it isn't a pop up I'd assume there'd be more room. However, at this rate I won't be able to find anywhere stocking one so I think I'm back on the market for a new tent too!

32 minutes ago, Robofish said:

I have gone for the 3 man inflatable one. Your review does not sound too clever for a 6 foot 2 fella like me.

Fortunately we have bought a crap 3 man pop up for £25, to pile all the shit, wet wellies in etc. So there will just be me and the air bed in the tent.

13 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What kind of temperatures were there at Red Rooster?

Hi - it was bloody freezing on the thursday night, and just a little chilly on the Friday night. Saturday was a scorcher. We had another tents that the kids used - a Lidl one. That one was significantly brighter on the sunny morning, and a good few degrees warmer. On Saturday afternoon the difference inside the tents was very noticeable.