PARK AND CAMP QUESTION

Purpledawn

For those of you who have parked and camped at Womad CP are they strict as to what tent space is occupied? The website stipulates 8m x 8m per tent + a car parking space, which is pretty big. I'm travelling with my daughter and grandson but don't want to share their tent, even though it's quite large.  I've got one of these, plus an awning and I didn't really want to take my smaller tent as it's harder to erect.  Tent.jpg.bfa5c11f4cfd2317965d9be23a66b04

Edited by Purpledawn

I have seen people erecting a tent and a gazebo in one space PD, so if you can fit your tent and your daughters you would be OK. You are expected to stay within your 8 x 8 square though and that includes guy ropes if you are on the edge of the walkway/access roads. Our end of Park & Camp last year was strictly monitored by a super efficient lady marshall! DT and SS were camped at the naughty end!

Your link to your tent doesn't work for me.

Edited by Jax2000

I agree with DT & Jax, PD, though I was told just the 1 tent when I emailed Womad info a couple of years ago. Think you should be ok as long as all within the marked area.  The problem at "The Naughty End" *laughs* last year was that there were no parking areas marked out and we were initially told that the 8 x 8 square was to contain both car and tent! I think it may have been the super efficient lady I spoke with who sorted it out in the end, though it took some explaining and convincing to get there as it was their first year marshalling and they really believed they had it right. I have printed off the description of Park and Camp this year so we can prove what was advertised and what we've paid for.  I hope you get pitched as you want to, P.D. :):)

Because we were camping with my daughter and her partner and we arrived together, we were parked next to each other and managed to squeeze both tents and a gazebo across our 2 pitches....all under the nose of the very efficient marshal. ....who didn't tell us not too. 

:D

Thanks for the advice folks, sorry that the link doesn't work Jax.  I think I'll take my smaller tent as it's a Quecha, the same make and colour as my daughters. Hopefully it'll blend in and they won't take too much notice. It doesn't say only 1 tent per pitch anywhere so as long as it fits in the 8m x 8m it shouldn't matter.

Out of interest, where was the 'naughty end' SS? My daughter was in Meadow Park & Camp and the pitches weren't marked at all there when she arrived. One of the stewards told her she had to move her car once she'd set up but she ignored him.  Maybe they'll have better marked pitches this year - or maybe I'll have to move to main campsite. Oh well, who cares, I'll be there and that's all that matters. :wub:

Edited by Purpledawn

I wasn't aware it was the "naughty end" though there was quite a bit going on which would have been best served by a separate area for football, frizbee, cricket etc..... as well as random pitching and parking which partially obstructed the fire lanes........ :):)  If you walked up Smith Street  from Red Gate towards the Arena, we were on the strip which goes off to the right at the Park and Camp loos.  Our camping neighbours' son and his family were pitched in Red Camping  just outside Park and Camp; near enough to be near, but far enough away to have their own space too... it worked very well. And you're right, P.D. you'll be there and that's all that matters! :):)

5 minutes ago, standing stone said:

If you walked up Smith Street  from Red Gate towards the Arena, we were on the strip which goes off to the right at the Park and Camp loos. 

Thanks, yes that's where I'm hoping to be with my daughter and grandson. I usually camp in Suffolk Avenue but I don't drive so we'll be in one car. I normally travel with a friend but he's not sure if he's coming this year so I've ditched the main site for park and camp because I have rotten arthritis in my back and knees and can't pull the hired trolley easily now.

Yes Jax, I forgot to mention the diagram, bloomin marvellous! :D

Edited by Purpledawn

1 hour ago, Jax2000 said:
1 hour ago, Jax2000 said:

I only dubbed it the naughty end because the pitching seemed a bit willy nilly down there

I mistook your comments thinking SS had said that. Doh, should wear my glasses when reading and replying to posts! Sorry SS :D but it will forever be known as the 'Naughty End'.

Ha ha! PD, be early at the gate for a pitch in the Naughty End. DT, the naughtiness must have been going on while on sentry duty, keeping the emergency access clear of non P&C campers in 2014 ..... there should have been signage or better marshalling there.....

Looking forward to seeing both of you in the queue first thing Womad Thursday! :):) 

We camped there for the first time last year and it was brilliant. Layout was exactly as Jax said. We had a four man Large tent a three man popup tent and kitchen area all in the space, with no negative comments from marshals. One group near us had a brilliant scheme, they used the Park and Camp purely for Parking and camped as a very large group by a gap and the other side of the fence in public camping. They then had a large group camping together and presumably someone in the group needed their car and there it was about 15 meters away... Brilliant 

On 07/02/2016 at 11:40 PM, standing stone said:

I have printed off the description of Park and Camp this year so we can prove what was advertised and what we've paid for.  I hope you get pitched as you want to, P.D. :):)

I am wearing my glasses now. I have done this too SS, thanks for the tip.

Edited by Purpledawn

11 hours ago, SC said:

We had a four man Large tent a three man popup tent and kitchen area all in the space, with no negative comments from marshals. One group near us had a brilliant scheme, they used the Park and Camp purely for Parking and camped as a very large group by a gap and the other side of the fence in public camping. They then had a large group camping together and presumably someone in the group needed their car and there it was about 15 meters away... Brilliant 

Very reassuring, I think I worry too much  - and what a good idea for parking closeby :D