Oasis

mufcok

2 minutes ago, Mardy said:

All those middle aged men who felt vaguely threatened and confused by acid house and dance could suddenly relax again, their kids were listening to 4 boorish lads with guitars and proper songs with words and that. Something they could associate with.

Proper indie for the lads, year zero.  Real songs by real musicians with real haircuts and proper shoes, stamping on a human face forever.

47 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Actually it is. Well it is for me. I support a small team who will never do anything.

The run up to and beating Liverpool was like that.

If you support one of the big teams and it happens every week then it's probably different.

Didn't realise you were an Everton fan Fuzzy :-)

57 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Quite the opposite. The worst thing about Oasia was that it led to Middle aged dads going to gigs with their teenage sons. It was so unthreatening that it removed the generation gap. Remove that and you remove any form of rebellion, which is the basis of pretty much ever interesting musical movement. Oasis pretty much led to a whole 20 years of mojo reading classic rock loving fuckknucles. 

It lead to that, and loads of other unsavoury things. But it wasn't that at the start

57 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Quite the opposite. The worst thing about Oasia was that it led to Middle aged dads going to gigs with their teenage sons. It was so unthreatening that it removed the generation gap. Remove that and you remove any form of rebellion, which is the basis of pretty much ever interesting musical movement. Oasis pretty much led to a whole 20 years of mojo reading classic rock loving fuckknucles. 

It lead to that, and loads of other unsavoury things. But it wasn't that at the start

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

It might have taken a while for the dads to come along, but you virtually never had baby boomers coming along to raves.  It's got plenty of old people in it now, but that's only because we were around at the time.

I just listened to Be Here Now.  Takes me back and makes me realise how much I used to listen to the radio and the charts in general.  I never had the album, but turns out I know most of the words to the singles!

As the article says, it's far from the worst album Oasis ever did, but it's not brilliant.  

I'm now listening to The Beatles to cleanse myself.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I just listened to Be Here Now.  Takes me back and makes me realise how much I used to listen to the radio and the charts in general.  I never had the album, but turns out I know most of the words to the singles!

As the article says, it's far from the worst album Oasis ever did, but it's not brilliant.  

I'm now listening to The Beatles to cleanse myself.

i honestly don't think i've ever heard it.  i dare say i'd remember the singles from the radio like yourself, but i remember thinking D'You Know.. was shit at the time.  i did go and see Oasis a couple of times, '94 and '95, but don't think i really bothered with them after that.

DSC_0912.JPG

The director of Supersonic said this about how the crowd changed over the years

"Well it became this bigger thing. In those early gigs, the footage is really sweet. It's all girls in the front, and they're all in love with Liam—they're all trying to touch him, and they know all the lyrics. In the later footage, you can definitely see the crowd becomes rougher—it's more boozy rock fans getting in fights. That wasn't the band's choice." 

4 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

Acid House gave us the Roses gave us Oasis gave us The Courteeners gave us Catfish. Simples.

Nah thats a load of shit made up by the southern based media when they were left totally and utterly lost by the acid house explosion. The Roses have absolutely nothing in common with acid house what so ever and were lucky as fuck to be in the right place at the right time (plus they had a clutch of stunning songs to make the most of their  luck)

Madchester was media invention. If any of the Madchester/Manchester bands had any direct links to acid house, it was the Factory bands. New Order over rid it all. Happy Mondays at least had a baggy groove and brought in house producers to do their records and remix them.

The NME and the like were behind the Madchester moniker. Yet because they did not actually understand what was going on, they made it all about the bands, when in fact what was happening in the clubs was absolutely nothing to do with them.

• Upvote 1

You realise how influence and osmosis works, right?  Ian Stone and the lads didn’t need to be on the decks at Shoom to soak up some top Mancunian acid house flavas, thus allowing them to become sorted and mad for it.

Look at Primal Scream, transforming overnight from Stooges-lite greasers to Manchester’s answer to the Stone Roses.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You realise how influence and osmosis works, right?  Ian Stone and the lads didn’t need to be on the decks at Shoom to soak up some top Mancunian acid house flavas, thus allowing them to become sorted and mad for it.

Look at Primal Scream, transforming overnight from Stooges-lite greasers to Manchester’s answer to the Stone Roses.

He's right though, Fool's Gold aside, the influence of Acid House on the Roses was fairly minimal.  They have far more significant influences and there are much more influenced acts from the movement than The Stone Roses. Like, I dunno Orbital or Underworld. 

EDIT: Just because they heard the music and absorbed some of it's groove and attitude, doesn't mean it makes sense to draw a direct lineage between Acid House and the Roses.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He's right though, Fool's Gold aside, the influence of Acid House on the Roses was fairly minimal.  They have far more significant influences and there are much more influenced acts from the movement than The Stone Roses. Like, I dunno Orbital or Underworld. 

EDIT: Just because they heard the music and absorbed some of it's groove and attitude, doesn't mean it makes sense to draw a direct lineage between Acid House and the Roses.

Their live show was very much a rave-culture influenced beast.  Yes, they obviously dug The Byrds as well, but that's the 'Second Summer Of Love' for you: joining the dots between late sixties psychedelia and acid house.

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Their live show was very much a rave-culture influenced beast.  Yes, they obviously dug The Byrds as well, but that's the 'Second Summer Of Love' for you: joining the dots between late sixties psychedelia and acid house.

I totally accept that, but I still think that actual impact on their recorded output was low.  The acid house impact is found in the shows and singles between the two albums.  The musical heritage of The Roses is mainly from the first album, which didn't sound rave-influenced in the slightest.  Noel Gallagher didn't spend a lot of time playing wah-wah to loops as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, wasn't this Acid house->Roses->Oasis->Maccabees>Catfish family tree a joke in the first place?

Yeah - it's not dominant - but the outro of I Am The Resurrection and - more debatably - the lyrical content are rave-evocative.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Anyway, wasn't this Acid house->Roses->Oasis->Maccabees>Catfish family tree a joke in the first place?

Probably - but it's still true enough...