Oasis

mufcok

36 minutes ago, eastynh said:

That GMEX gig was absolutely awful. Plus the beer was shit and stunk of eggs.

When was Old Trafford? That was a good gig. Heaton Park was alright as well and that was right near the end.

Hey, easty!

It was alright because it was a great occasion, and my (former journalist) mate got us properly VIP'd which was pretty cool, since those on the front of the barrier behind the VIP corridor looked like dogs left in hot cars.

However, Liam's vocal was pretty damn ropey. Such a shame. For all their detractors, there was a time when the buzz around them was real and it was very exciting. Knebworth genuinely was an amazing day for us. And, at that time, Liam's pipes were as good as there was in the 'rock' world. Sadly, like Noel's songwriting, it was a very finite resource.

Ben

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Hey, easty!

It was alright because it was a great occasion, and my (former journalist) mate got us properly VIP'd which was pretty cool, since those on the front of the barrier behind the VIP corridor looked like dogs left in hot cars.

However, Liam's vocal was pretty damn ropey. Such a shame. For all their detractors, there was a time when the buzz around them was real and it was very exciting. Knebworth genuinely was an amazing day for us. And, at that time, Liam's pipes were as good as there was in the 'rock' world. Sadly, like Noel's songwriting, it was a very finite resource.

Ben

I was at HP the night the generator blew and they were a couple of hours late on stage (complete with liam offering everyone a refund). Don't remember him sounding great that day either to be honest. Then again the whole band didn't sound great by that point, a lot of their songs seemed to merge together by that point.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

That GMEX gig was absolutely awful. Plus the beer was shit and stunk of eggs.

When was Old Trafford? That was a good gig. Heaton Park was alright as well and that was right near the end.

A 14 year old me thought it was great. First gig I went to without my dad.

Still looks good on youtube. Especially champagne supernova.

11 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A 14 year old me thought it was great. First gig I went to without my dad.

Still looks good on youtube. Especially champagne supernova.

everyone says their 95 glastonbury gig was shit but it was quite possibly the best 90mins of my life at that point. They probably were shit, but when you are young and part of something like that minor details like the musicianship didnt matter a jot. Wonderful times.

4 minutes ago, cidy said:

Betting suspended on reunion from leading bookmaker after a flurry of large bets at 5/4 bit if an over reaction and good publicity for dvd release I reckon

http://www.nme.com/news/oasis/96894

Liam will be plugging a solo album and Noel's in the studio working on his next album.

it will inevitably happen (and it will be awful) but can't see it being next year.

31 minutes ago, russycarps said:

everyone says their 95 glastonbury gig was shit but it was quite possibly the best 90mins of my life at that point. They probably were shit, but when you are young and part of something like that minor details like the musicianship didnt matter a jot. Wonderful times.

Well put.

In the documentary Noel says (paraphrasing) "We were not that great as musicians, but we made people excited and made them believe.  More than any band ever has done" - between 92-96 he is probably right.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Liam will be plugging a solo album and Noel's in the studio working on his next album.

it will inevitably happen (and it will be awful) but can't see it being next year.

Oasis' next album is a double album in the vein of Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below and will be released next year, confirmed 

16 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Believe in what? 

believe that we were a part of something I guess. Being part of a movement that was with hindsight really just about smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol and taking loads of drugs, But at the time gave you something to dream about. I was a penniless scruff from the north west and oasis were inspirational for people like me.

Edited by russycarps

2 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

I actually think his best singing is on Be Here Now its just a shame most of the songs/production let him down. 

I agree with this. I love the vocals on the first two albums, but he sounds superb on BHN. His voice changed pretty much every year from 1993-2000. If you listen to live stuff from back then, you can tell the difference between the different years. It was brilliant until 1998 when he started to have a few problems. He sounded different but good early on in the SOTSOG tour, but by the time the stadium tour came around, his voice is shagged. From 2000 onwards it has varied between good, okay, poor, shit and tragic.

This was him at his peak for me live though. 

The brothers endless chatter is the main reason that they're still being talked about so much. See Tyson Fury, Conor McGregor, Donald Trump, Kanye West, Nostradamus, Jesus et al.

Its certainly not for the 5 or 6 decent songs Noel wrote 20 odd years ago. And the bare facts are that when push came to shove they rarely delivered. Saw them a bunch of times and they were always amateurish and shit. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

I actually think his best singing is on Be Here Now its just a shame most of the songs/production let him down. 

You really think Noel done that because of a few Blur gigs in 2009? They were still selling out stadiums around the world when they split up. It was clearly Noel wanting out, but more to do with being desperate to go solo, therefore using the fighting as a reason to leave.