Oasis

mufcok

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Columbia was great, but they very quickly abandoned that style.  I can understand why, given the time it was released, but 20+ years on it's a bit of a shame they didn't keep trying to be a tad more shuffly.  

Or perhaps i'm doing them a massive disservice and Heathen Chemistry was full of pilled-up six-minute groove repetitions, but i wouldn't know.

Heathen Chemistry was fucking piss. Noel was writing songs like Columbia in 1992. By the time Columbia was actually released, he had already moved on. I love that early sound as well. It's interesting listening to their early sessions at the Boardwalk. 

That song is a mix of Setting Sun, which Noel done with Chemical Brothers, and Lock All The Doors which he released on his last solo album. They could have easily recorded that properly without the double vocal effects, and touched it up a bit. They definitely had a certain type of sound around that period of time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I actually uite like Shakermaker.  It's not a great recording, but it's got a solid hook and a bit of swing to it.  Way preferable to any Noel sung B side, at any rate.

And just like that you've lost me Gonzo.Talk Tonight? Half The World Away? Masterplan?

Anyhoo, all this has forced me to go back and listen to Definitely Maybe for the first time in ages.  Time to see how it's stood up!

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

I liked fuckin in the bushes, but it's just a rip off of another band isnt it? Led zeppelin maybe, I cant really remember what it goes like.

Its Wah-Wah by George Harrison done in a more Led Zep style with a sample from Isle of Wight (1970?).

Its used in the film Snatch.

It goes like this:

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

8 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Heathen Chemistry was fucking piss. Noel was writing songs like Columbia in 1992. By the time Columbia was actually released, he had already moved on. I love that early sound as well. It's interesting listening to their early sessions at the Boardwalk. 

That song is a mix of Setting Sun, which Noel done with Chemical Brothers, and Lock All The Doors which he released on his last solo album. They could have easily recorded that properly without the double vocal effects, and touched it up a bit. They definitely had a certain type of sound around that period of time. 

i've never heard that before, it's an interesting listen.  like i said i can totally understand why they didn't want to carry on with that sound - they almost certainly wouldn't have been as big if they carried on sounding 'baggy' beyond 1993.

27 minutes ago, donkeykong said:

Would have to be a double album for me. Couldn't leave out Supersonic, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Wonderwall, Rockin' Chair, Underneath the Sky, Fade Away and Its Good to be Free

I still absolutely adore that song.  I was always a bit behind in terms of music, especially B-Sides, so I never heard it until about '99.  I'd just finished my first year at uni and was back home working in a Cash Converters over the summer (shudder), and picked up a copy of Masterplan that someone had traded in.  It perfectly captured my feeling of having seen a much bigger world than I'd grown up in and the realisation there was no way I was going to come back and settle back down once I'd graduated.

Still gives me that feeling when I hear it now nearly 20 years later.

I'd also make a case for Hey Now! being on that album :)

4 hours ago, ivan said:

You should have seem at Glastonbury in 2004 , can't see why anyone would want them back in Somerset .

I was there and still don't think it was anything like as bad as people make out - the performance wasn't great, but it was still a set littered with great songs and compares well to a number of subsequent headline sets (Gorillaz springs to mind).

I'm convinced that Noel formed a plan after Blur's 2009 set at Glasto was lauded - effectively "let's piss off for a bit like this lot did and then get back together and have everyone love us again." As such I'm sure they'll be back to make some cash in a few years, which will include headlining Glastonbury.

I was 30 something when they came on the scene breath of fresh air at the time 

Seen em at all they're glasto appearnces 94 being the best ,did Knebworth and Finsbury park which were great gigs.

Did some truly awful songs as well as the classics i.e. Bowies heroes can't remember what b side it was on but christ it's bad.

Early stuff stands the test of time imo

Still got a copy of Acquiesce promo only 300 about I believe

Will watch the documentary when it's out should bring back some good memories.

Can't see anything happening like it did back then ever again to be honest

Am I the only one who thinks Liam has got worse as a singer and frontman as the years went on? 

Definitely Maybe; had the youthful cocky arrogance and raw vocals. After that, he started playing up the arrogance to the point of parody, vocals became worse and the exaggerated "suuunshiiiiiiiiiine's" became a bit weary. 

You watch early the early Glasto 94 footage and there's none of that hand behind the back, neck jutting out, frontman posturing that blighted (imo) the later years. Just a kid belting out some great songs with a bit of youthful swagger.

he blew his voice out pretty early in his career. even looking at videos of them playing in the early 2000's he's stopped 'singing' and essentially just shouts it all. needless to say that sixteen years later it won't have gotten any better, and he barely even sounded like the same vocalist when Beady Eye played in 2013. must be tough as he had a pretty limited vocal range to begin with but it doesn't bode well for any solo live shows down the road or the inevitable Oasis reunion

10 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Am I the only one who thinks Liam has got worse as a singer and frontman as the years went on? 

Thats a given I think. Hes not a proper singer in that way. Doesn't sing from his lungs but from his throat. Which is why he kept losing his voice. All mouth and nasally nonsense. But when he opens up he can sing alright. 

From 1.15. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

he blew his voice out pretty early in his career. even looking at videos of them playing in the early 2000's he's stopped 'singing' and essentially just shouts it all. needless to say that sixteen years later it won't have gotten any better, and he barely even sounded like the same vocalist when Beady Eye played in 2013. must be tough as he had a pretty limited vocal range to begin with but it doesn't bode well for any solo live shows down the road or the inevitable Oasis reunion

There was a noticeable decline from the GMEX gig December 97 to the Reebok gig june 2000.

54 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

There was a noticeable decline from the GMEX gig December 97 to the Reebok gig june 2000.

That GMEX gig was absolutely awful. Plus the beer was shit and stunk of eggs.

When was Old Trafford? That was a good gig. Heaton Park was alright as well and that was right near the end.

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Definitely Maybe; had the youthful cocky arrogance and raw vocals. After that, he started playing up the arrogance to the point of parody, vocals became worse and the exaggerated "suuunshiiiiiiiiiine's" became a bit weary. 

You watch early the early Glasto 94 footage and there's none of that hand behind the back, neck jutting out, frontman posturing that blighted (imo) the later years. Just a kid belting out some great songs with a bit of youthful swagger.

I actually think his best singing is on Be Here Now its just a shame most of the songs/production let him down.