Oasis

mufcok

I don't think the songs have aged badly. I think some of the recordings were pretty shit, like Some Might Say, which is a great song but it doesn't 'sound' as good as it could have been. Some songs do sound more fresh than others though. I think Live Forever, Columbia, Supersonic, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Slide Away, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova still sound really fresh. 

The b-sides from that era are bloody great as well. Acquiesce, Fade Away, Listen Up, Rockin' Chair, Headshrinker, The Masterplan, (It's Good) To Be Free. Superb. 

They will always be my favourite band. Really don't care about any snobby type of comments towards them. I agree with the earlier poster who said Definitely Maybe will always be their favourite album, same for me. I listen to plenty of stuff which is more 'challenging' or whatever you want to call it, but their songs mean the most to me, and if I'm going out on a night out, I am still putting Cigarettes & Alcohol on very loud at some point.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Bonehead thinks they should have quit after Knebworth. He was probably right.

Then again - at the a Reebok in 2000 my mate bought a T-Shirt outside. "Standing on the shoulders of Gits"

Best dodgy t-shirt salesman Ive ever seen at a gig.

If they had of it would be interesting to see the clamour for them to get back together today. Bowing out at Knebworth with only them first two albums and b-sides released. Even this forum would want them to play Glastonbury.

I don't understand the criticism Oasis get in regards to the 90's lad culture thing. They were just being themselves, it is not their fault everyone put them on a pedestal and tried to poorly imitate them.

A poster mentioned previously that they became cartoon versions of themselves. I don't think they did. I think they have stayed exactly the same and it was the rest of us that have changed. Now you could argue we have all matured for the better. Yet I bet every one of us wish could have just one afternoon of being 18 years old again and not giving a fuck about anything.

Oasis seem an easy target, both personally and musically. From a personal point of view they deserve an awful lot of credit for the way they got up off their arses and made something of their lives, when a lot of people from similar back grounds take the easy option. From a musical point of view I think history will look kinder on them than their current standing. Just remember that the Roses were ridiculed after their disastrous Reading festival performance, yet 20 years on they are all hip again.

Oasis will never be remembered for intricate chord progressions and inversions, yet they managed to make an awful lot of people smile while giving them a right good time. When we are lay on our death beds, it will be the good times we remember and not fancy chord inversions and thats why Oasis were so important.

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 5

Definitely Maybe is a 10/10 album. There isn't a bad tune on it. Yes Shakermaker & Ciggaretes + Alcohol are lifted, but they are great.

The singles are all played endlessly, but the album tracks make it. Columbia has a top groove going on, Bring it on Down is one of the most under rated tracks they did, to say Slide Away wasn't a single says it all. Up in the Sky is probably the weakest tune on it, but I like that.

Lyrically the album is stronger than any other Oasis record. From the nonsensical (supersonic), to loved up (slide away) to social commentary (cigs + alcohol), every tune has a few great lines.

Even Digsys Dinner which is daft, throws up a gem:

"These could be the best days of our lives,

But I don't think we've been living very wise"

I will never understand people who prefer whats the story over Definitely Maybe.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

I don't understand the criticism Oasis get in regards to the 90's lad culture thing. They were just being themselves, it is not their fault everyone put them on a pedestal and tried to poorly imitate them.

A poster mentioned previously that they became cartoon versions of themselves. I don't think they did. I think they have stayed exactly the same and it was the rest of us that have changed. Now you could argue we have all matured for the better. Yet I bet every one of us wish could have just one afternoon of being 18 years old again and not giving a fuck about anything.

Oasis seem an easy target, both personally and musically. From a personal point of view they deserve an awful lot of credit for the way they got up off their arses and made something of their lives, when a lot of people from similar back grounds take the easy option. From a musical point of view I think history will look kinder on them than their current standing. Just remember that the Roses were ridiculed after their disastrous Reading festival performance, yet 20 years on they are all hip again.

Oasis will never be remembered for intricate chord progressions and inversions, yet they managed to make an awful lot of people smile while giving them a right good time. When we are lay on our death beds, it will be the good times we remember and not fancy chord inversions and thats why Oasis were so important.

I bloody ADORE The Stone Roses, but if you turned history around, and Oasis finished in 1996, with Roses finishing in 2009, the views on both bands would be a lot different I would expect. Roses would be ridiculed, and if they were to get back together after that, you wouldn't have this obsession whenever a random location sticks some lemon posters up in a window. On the other side of the coin, if Oasis had of finished at Knebworth, music fans would be bursting for Oasis to make a comeback, even more so than the  clamour for Roses or The Smiths. They were gigantic. 

23 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Definitely Maybe is a 10/10 album. There isn't a bad tune on it. Yes Shakermaker & Ciggaretes + Alcohol are lifted, but they are great.

The singles are all played endlessly, but the album tracks make it. Columbia has a top groove going on, Bring it on Down is one of the most under rated tracks they did, to say Slide Away wasn't a single says it all. Up in the Sky is probably the weakest tune on it, but I like that.

Lyrically the album is stronger than any other Oasis record. From the nonsensical (supersonic), to loved up (slide away) to social commentary (cigs + alcohol), every tune has a few great lines.

Even Digsys Dinner which is daft, throws up a gem:

"These could be the best days of our lives,

But I don't think we've been living very wise"

I will never understand people who prefer whats the story over Definitely Maybe.

Agree with this. I don't know one person to my knowledge who likes WTSMG over Definitely Maybe though. Maybe I'm being stereotypical about it, but I'd say the majority of people who prefer Morning Glory, are people who own about 100 albums, with 50% of them being greatest hits.

8 hours ago, eastynh said:

From a musical point of view I think history will look kinder on them than their current standing. Just remember that the Roses were ridiculed after their disastrous Reading festival performance, yet 20 years on they are all hip again.

I'm not sure if they are that hip at the minute.  All For One is a total punchline.

But even immediately circa Reading there was an understanding that this was a bastardised version of the band that needed to knock it on the head, but it effected the reputation / quality of their early work not a jot.  The general consensus on the debut LP is that it's peerless and it's never, ever fallen out of favour.  Or, at least, as much as any other 'classic' album.

People who grew up on (early) Oasis will always have their memories of the time and their own personal relationship with the music,  but it does seem that posterity is being a lot less kind to the bare facts of their recorded output 

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

Just listening to Acquiesce for first time in years after reading this thread and it still holds up as a great song.

The masterplan was a great album , crazy to think it was just b-sides.

I loved oasis and tracked all over the country to see them but one gig ended it with me. On the last tour I went to see them at Sunderland and was excited to see them in my home city. Liam give a performance that was not even half hearted and the only bits worth remembering came from Noel. After that I hoped I would never see an oasis gig again.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm not sure if they are that hip at the minute.  All For One is a total punchline.

But even immediately circa Reading there was an understanding that this was a bastardised version of the band that needed to knock it on the head, but it effected the reputation / quality of their early work not a jot.  The general consensus on the debut LP is that it's peerless and it's never, ever fallen out of favour.  Or, at least, as much as any other 'classic' album.

People who grew up on (early) Oasis will always have their memories of the time and their own personal relationship with the music,  but it does seem that posterity is being a lot less kind to the bare facts of their recorded output 

I think Oasis have more good songs than the Stone Roses. Disregard albums and think about the actual quantity of quality tunes. The Roses have one set when they play live. Oasis could play 2 or 3 different sets. Added to the fact that Oasis were better live. Not as good on their instruments granted and Oasis were never as good live as the Roses were at Heaton Park, but that was an exceptional circumstance and more to do with the occasion than the actual performance.

One thing the Roses do have over Oasis is Fools Gold, but I have never been able to decide whether that is a good or bad thing. It is a tantalising glimpse of the future we could have had but never did, before it all imploded. Now we are all building walls.

Some og Oasis' later output is criticised, but give me Gas Panic over All for One any day. Now if you had asked me 5 years ago which band I would have back for a one off performance then the Roses would have been my answer. Yet I would rather have Oasis back touring and releasing music on a more regular basis. 

50 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Just listening to Acquiesce for first time in years after reading this thread and it still holds up as a great song.

The masterplan was a great album , crazy to think it was just b-sides.

I loved oasis and tracked all over the country to see them but one gig ended it with me. On the last tour I went to see them at Sunderland and was excited to see them in my home city. Liam give a performance that was not even half hearted and the only bits worth remembering came from Noel. After that I hoped I would never see an oasis gig again.

You should have seem at Glastonbury in 2004 , can't see why anyone would want them back in Somerset .

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

From the first two albums and b-sides you could cobble together an album that would have been hailed as one of the all-time greats:

Acquiesce

Live Forever

Half the World Away

Cast No Shadow

Columbia

Headshrinker

Talk Tonight

Slide Away

Morning Glory

The Masterplan

Definitely Maybe is regarded as one of the greats.

I'm a big fan of this tune

SOTSOG was a poor album as a whole, but Fuckin' In The Bushes, Go Let It Out, Gas Panic! and Roll It Over are superb imo How Let's All Make Believe was only a b-side I'll never know.

50 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Seriously Under rated tune:

Columbia was great, but they very quickly abandoned that style.  I can understand why, given the time it was released, but 20+ years on it's a bit of a shame they didn't keep trying to be a tad more shuffly.  

Or perhaps i'm doing them a massive disservice and Heathen Chemistry was full of pilled-up six-minute groove repetitions, but i wouldn't know.