Oasis

mufcok

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

I'll go and see this just to reminisce about the 90s and reflect on how shit my life is now compared to then. If you were a yoof when oasis broke through you lived through a magical couple of years. Of course it's all a load of crap now, but then it was all utterly wonderful.

Maine Road was my first ever gig (I was 12). I loved it. It was the most exciting thing in the world. Regardless of how boring they became - even becoming a parody of themselves. Without them being what they were when I was young, would I be going to gigs / festivals and clubs for the last 20 years? 

For that, I thank Oasis. Definitely Maybe is still and will always be my favourite album of all time. It means more to me than any other.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Definitely Maybe is still and will always be my favourite album of all time. It means more to me than any other.

Ditto. Played that CD so much as a kid that I scratched it badly, and Married With Children used to skip loads. Whenever I hear that song and it doesn't skip it sounds weird to me now.

I know they weren't the most forward thinking of bands, and if you're looking for a song writing masterclass you won't find it there, but at the time they were bloody exciting.

Took me 24 years to appreciate Oasis beyond Wonderwall, Don't Look Back in Anger and Live Forever. 2015 according to Spotify I listened to over 5500 songs with Oasis, probably listened as much on live recordings on Youtube. Liams voice 94-96 was something otherworldly.

Thought it captured that moment in time when they were the biggest thing in my world and many other people's world really well. The time when Liam getting a haircut was front page news. It was our Beatlemania but forgetting all the press and bullshit, the main thing was the tunes and as Noel arrogantly and correctly said in 94 "our tunes will stand the test of time" and he was bang on. I can't for a moment think I won't get a chance to see them live for the 38th time. Incomprehensible to me that. It's going to happen just need patient. I mean if the Roses can do it anyone can (possibly not The Smiths though lol)

Edited by wozwebs

Must as I like some of oasis`s stuff it does make me laugh when I hear them being called our greatest rock n roll band.....firstly lads, getting a bit of mainstream success and then fucking off the music because you let your egos get out of control and got more interested in appearing in gossip mags then your bands future is not rockstardom......secondly, bands like iron maiden, motorhead, ,judas priest, black sabbath, led zeppelin, the who, the beatles and the rest of the `truly` great british rock n roll bands from over the years may want a word! Oasis were part of a trend that was all and they were a flash in the pan in terms of the uk music scene. If they truly cared about their music or their fans theyd put all the petty shit aside and get back together but they wont because they dont. simple as. They are the `name` band of that era for sure but that doesnt mean they were the best.

Mind you the whole `madchester` thing passed over me, it was so bloody fake....all of a sudden like any trend you had these posh southern yuppies pretending they were from a rough manchester council estate and knew anything about that kind of scene.......think the famous kevin and perry sketch when perry comes back from manchester nails it haha 

Edited by waterfalls212434
  • Downvote 6

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Maine Road was my first ever gig (I was 12). I loved it. It was the most exciting thing in the world. Regardless of how boring they became - even becoming a parody of themselves. Without them being what they were when I was young, would I be going to gigs / festivals and clubs for the last 20 years? 

For that, I thank Oasis. Definitely Maybe is still and will always be my favourite album of all time. It means more to me than any other.

no item of clothing has ever or will ever give me as much pleasure as my pale blue oasis tshirt did.

wouldnt be seen dead in it now, like.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Although I may not agree I can see your point on a lot of this but the sentence in bold is the exact opposite of what's happened. A lot of definitely maybe still stands up but What's the Story is one of the most badly ageing albums of all time. 

It sounds terrible now. 

in fairness most of definitely maybe is unlistenable to now as well. Rock n roll star came on the radio at the weekend and I had to turn it off. Dreadful dirge.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Although I may not agree I can see your point on a lot of this but the sentence in bold is the exact opposite of what's happened. A lot of definitely maybe still stands up but What's the Story is one of the most badly ageing albums of all time. 

It sounds terrible now. 

Apart from the overexposure I think what's the story still sounds great. 

2 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Apart from the overexposure I think what's the story still sounds great. 

I'd say that some of it does.  I can happily never ever hear Roll With It again, and not far off that feeling for Hello, Wonderwall and She's Electric. However, despite being overplayed DLBIA, Some Might Say and WTSMG remain great songs, and for me at least Hey Now is an absolute classic.  I think I love Champagne Supernova purely because of a time in my life feeling.

Loved Oasis in the mid 90's but their songs have aged terribly. On reflection, I think it show's just how dire the UK music scene was in the early 90's that Oasis were seen as something extraordinary whereas they were probably just ordinary with a few decent songs that stood out and chimed with the cultural 'lad' landscape at the time.

The biggest tragedy of Oasis was dragging so many bands into their musical black hole with record companies pushing bands to fit in. Pulp and Blur did well to drag themselves back out of it though you could argue that Pulp never fully recovered. Probably lost a few good bands who had their identity sucked out of them by lad culture.

• Downvote 1